For Pickaway

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought Pickaway would enjoy these pics of woodland points found along the Scioto River. From your handle I know you must have searched many of the areas I did in the 60's and 70's.
These were found by myself and my brother along the Scioto and the streams flowing into it after plowing. These little guys survived ok but alot of the large points I found were badly damaged by plows. I moved back to Florida in 83 and have missed the winter field searches ever since.
SANY0224.jpg

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice tray of points Newnan Man. Definitely typical Ohio Birdpoints. I have trays of points just like that.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Now lets see some of your namesake points from Florida. I love those Newnan Points.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few Newnans, along with some Marions, Hillbourghs., and a few other types. I haven't looked much in the past few years. Also diving is now illegal in Fl. As you can see some of these have a nice river polish on them. I would have a hard time throwing one back I tell you that! Stupid Florida collector laws. The state arches would rather let a point lay in the bottom of a river than displayed for all to see.
SANY0226.jpg

SANY0225.jpg

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Killer assortment of points. I Love the colours. Some really nice stuff in those frames. John

P

pickaway

Nice collection looks like alot of Delaware flint in there,I havent been out but 2 times in the fields around here lately, found a broken slate celt and a cn broke base, was thinking of walking the big darby up from where it runs into the Scioto or go rake a new creek i got permission to hunt its dry and full of leaves.If ya ever come back up this way give me a holler.

D

Dc1013

SOme very nice frames in this thread.Awesome thanks for the post

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a killer collection and great post following it. Thanks for sharing. This is the kind of thing that inspires us new guys :D

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice pics Pickaway. I've been to where Darby meets the Scioto many times. Deer Creek is good too. My brother found a nice axe on the east side where Scippo creek meets the river. Years ago now, but I still think often of our ventures. I get up to visit relatives from time to time and was there 3 weeks ago. All the fields are posted now and the farms are in no-till. I married a girl from Rt.104 south of 316. Her family lived right on the river. Whenever I could I would hit the fields around their place and look. Some time I will open my frames and take more pics. Over the years we put together a pretty good collection. I've got some nice stuff stashed away. I had buckets of brokes and chips. If I head that way I will surely give you a shout,Thanks
MVC-006F-1.jpg

Pickaway Co. Dovetails, Flintridge material. Found on Peachys farm

P

pickaway

The rivers a good spot but hard to walk, i have a boat but really noone thats into headhunting to go floating from big walnut on 23 to circleville and hit the sandbars theres a huge sandbar just south of the 316 bridge. yeah its about impossible to get permission anymore.Im gonna do some float trips down it next year im looking into kayaks.alot of the land is out of state owned and leased and aint it sad all the farm land on 104 being sold for housing.only got 2 permission 2 hunt 2 fields in 08 and so far there not plowed has a nice creek that runs thru them off 188 northeast of circleville other 4 fields i have permission to hunt our off tarlton rd. just past kingston pike but they went straight to winter wheat thank god for my site out in licking county.take it easy man...

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are 2 more for you Pickaway. These are from the area around 316 & 104. The Hopewell is pure white Flintridge and you can shine a light right through it. The other seems almost to have a Grahmn Cave look but it is so worn out who knows. I had about 2 bucket of brokes from that area. Sorry about the poor pics, having trouble reducing the sizes. Pre no-till, maybe 1976!
SANY0240-1.jpg

P

pickaway

Wow Newnam man thats a killer hopewell, snowed in up this way but a good melt going on now hopefully it will wash creeks out, plus i picked up 200 acres to hunt in northern pickaway county but its no till but has creeks ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread