Forrest Fenn s treasure

chad68

Nov 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there are only 9 clues, one of the apparent 10 clues can't be a clue and I think either the first " in there" or the last" in the wood " is not a clue,. I dont know which one to ignore.

Who decided there are 9 clues in the poem?

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt 1
And take it in the canyon down, 2
Not far, but too far to walk. 3
Put in below the home of Brown. 4

From there it's no place for the meek, 5
The end is ever drawing nigh; 6
There'll be no paddle up your creek, 7
Just heavy loads and water high. 8

If you've been wise and found the blaze, 9
Look quickly down, your quest to cease, 10
But tarry scant with marvel gaze, 11
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answer I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold. 12
If you are brave and in the wood 13
I give you title to the gold.

lucky 13

edit:
Actually the last line may be the biggest clue. FF has possession of the chest and he will hand it to you along with the title...... not

Last edited:

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A word that is key

Forrest Fenn said many times and in TTOTC there are 9 clues in the poem.

Thanks for sharing Hobo. Would you have any thoughts on what might be the key or the key word
that Fenn (in a comment) teases/baits TTOC searchers with? Fenn says, “Many are giving serious
thought to the clues in my poem, but only a few are in tight focus with a word that is key.”

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO The home of Brown is the most important clue and if one can't figure out that clue they would be just as successful by staying home.

chad68

Nov 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL OK now I have 0nly 8 clues I the poem, unless I had BAITW and YEWBWTC as 2 more clues. Maybe you count 'not far but too far to walk as 2 clues, then there would be 9.

As I have gone alone in there
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt 1
And take it in the canyon down, 2
Not far, but too far to walk. 3
Put in below the home of Brown. 4

From there it's no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh;
There'll be no paddle up your creek, 5
Just heavy loads and water high. 6

If you've been wise and found the blaze, 7
Look quickly down, your quest to cease, 8
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answer I already know,
I've done it tired, and now I'm weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold.
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

Last edited:

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO The home of Brown is the most important clue and if one can't figure out that clue they would be just as successful by staying home.

How shall I put this? Let me count the ways. I agree with you that the "put in below the home
of Brown", is a VERY IMPORTANT CLUE. However, in his statement, “Many are giving serious thought to the clues in my poem, but only a few are in tight focus with a word that is key.” In my
judgment, Fenn seperates "a word that is key" from the clues. My conclusion is that
"a word that is key" is not in one of his clues. Why? Because I find that Fenn often "hints" at "a word that is key" in his writings and interviews.

I actually concluded that "the word that is key" is known to some as a stepping stone to discovery. So, there you go Hobo. We agree to disagree. No surprise there. Take care.

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chad 69 "asI have gone alone in there" may be a clue.
Been There Done That; I don't know that we disagree, but it is possible that the word "Brown" may be a key
I am open to all posilbilites,

chad68

Nov 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FF at least once mentioned that many people got the first 2 clues right, then went right past the chest. If I have gone alone in there is the first clue, then what's the second, WWWH? Possible of course. The only thing 'alone in there' tells me is he hid the chest by himself, which is common knowledge now. IMO some of the bigger clues don't seem to get brought up as much as WWWH, below the home of Brown and the blaze. They are all important on their own of course, but the secret is to be able to tie them in all together to a specific geographical spot.

The home of Brown' I believe just refers to Brown trout and indicates the chest is below water. FF himself said 'I know the treasure is wet". I figured it was under water before I saw that video where he said that. Maybe when he said that, he knew it was raining or snowing at the time he said it? Possible. The spot I have in mind I can see where people would have gone right past it and overlooked a couple or so other clues, in which case they should have back tracked a little bit.

One thing for sure is Yellowstone has lots of places where cold, warm and hot waters halt.

With all the clues and things I've heard and read about, the only thing that may throw a wrench into my spot is (don't know if FF himself said this) but supposedly the chest could be scorched by a Forest fire. Of course there could be all kinds of ways something under water could be scorched by a forest fire if you twist things around enough.

I'm curious if FF said the 'chest' or the 'treasure' could be scorched by fire, hmmm. That could tie into the line, 'treasures new and old' and be referring to trees in general as part of Yellowstones natural 'old treasures'.

Last edited:

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In there" could mean a cave or small grotto. WWWH could be the second clue?
I don't recollect him saying it was wet, l believe he said it could get wet in rain or snow. If it were in water it could get washed away,scattered or covered in a flood, also since his original intention was to be interned with the chest it wouldn't make sense for it to be in water.
Neither do l believe THOB refers to a fish, brown trout are to ubiquitous they are everywhere in every mountain stream in the Rocky mountains.
Since he has said that people have been within a few hundred yards of it l think it is probably near a place that people frequent.

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"a word that is key"

A stepping stone (for me at least) is a means to an end. Some thing which aids one in achieving
an objective, whatever that objective may be. So then, in the chase game, the word that is key is

a word that is "stepping stone" to the poem solve. How about them apples?
I think "I felt the earth move under my feet", "I think I saw you TRY".

PS: I agree with the poster, Hobo. Brown trout in the Rocky Mountains are like One Eyed One Horned
Flying Purple People Eaters. They're everywhere, they're everywhere.

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a strong believer that the nine clues are the nine sentences that make up the poem. A few of Forrest's statements confirm this for me. I've listed them below. :) Criticism welcome :).

Quote #1: "Start at the beginning"...

This one is kind of a given. Start at the beginning of the poem.

Quotes 2-4 are a break down of this quote: "There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe. Look at the big picture, there are no short cuts. f"

Quote #2: "There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. f"......

If there are few words that are not useful in finding the poem, how can some leave out whole stanzas by picking apart clues in the poem?

Quote #3: "You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe."...

My oh my, where do I get started here lol. The part where Forrest talks about the many places where warm waters halt, it shouts to me that he is explaining that you need more information to narrow down the possibilities. This info is more than likely the first stanza.

Quote #4: " Look at the big picture, there are no short cuts. f "

What sticks out to me in this part of the quote is that he says "look at the big picture". IMO, he is telling us to look for clues in the whole poem, not just individual lines as many people do.

Quote #5: "What surprises me is that so many ignore the first clue in the poem. "

9 out of 10 times, a searchers first identified clue is WWWH. If many people are skipping the first clue even when using this line, then the first clue MUST lie in the first stanza.

NEB

Aug 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a strong believer that the nine clues are the nine sentences that make up the poem. A few of Forrest's statements confirm this for me. I've listed them below. :) Criticism welcome :).

Quote #1: "Start at the beginning"...

This one is kind of a given. Start at the beginning of the poem.

Quotes 2-4 are a break down of this quote: "There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe. Look at the big picture, there are no short cuts. f"

Quote #2: "There are a few words in the poem that are not useful in finding the treasure Phil, but it is risky to discount any of them. f"......

If there are few words that are not useful in finding the poem, how can some leave out whole stanzas by picking apart clues in the poem?

Quote #3: "You over simplify the clues. There are many places in the Rocky Mountains where warm waters halt, and nearly all of them are north of Santa Fe."...

My oh my, where do I get started here lol. The part where Forrest talks about the many places where warm waters halt, it shouts to me that he is explaining that you need more information to narrow down the possibilities. This info is more than likely the first stanza.

What sticks out to me in this part of the quote is that he says "look at the big picture". IMO, he is telling us to look for clues in the whole poem, not just individual lines as many people do.

Quote #5: "What surprises me is that so many ignore the first clue in the poem. "

9 out of 10 times, a searchers first identified clue is WWWH. If many people are skipping the first clue even when using this line, then the first clue MUST lie in the first stanza.

After reading nearly all of the posts on this thread, I didnt find any thing that references the following clue....I think I have figured something out, not sure what, but something that might have some merit....

I have a feeling that the line "From there it’s no place for the meek" is a huge clue. I'm in Nebraska so no way I'm gonna go searching, unless it is vicariously through other TNET members. Maybe others have figured it out too but I think the words Ohkay Owingeh fit this line perfect. And actually quite a bit of the poem in general after reading the history books.....thoughts?

BeenThereDoneThat2

Aug 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Skull

Where the Chase Game is concerned, folks tend to play all kinds of mind games, pull all kinds of
teases, toss out all kinds of lures. However Fenn's own words when he said that nobody would find
his treasure unless they were looking for it, nobody would just find it by chance
, should tell any
serious player (who really cares to know) where to look. Link that fact with the fact that Fenn
also stated that a child could walk right up to and touch the treasure, should elimanate every
other place except a persons skull.

chad68

Nov 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In there" could mean a cave or small grotto. WWWH could be the second clue?
I don't recollect him saying it was wet, l believe he said it could get wet in rain or snow. If it were in water it could get washed away,scattered or covered in a flood, also since his original intention was to be interned with the chest it wouldn't make sense for it to be in water.
Neither do l believe THOB refers to a fish, brown trout are to ubiquitous they are everywhere in every mountain stream in the Rocky mountains.
Since he has said that people have been within a few hundred yards of it l think it is probably near a place that people frequent.

In there could also mean, river, lake, forest, canyon. It could easily be in a river, creek, or stream, as it weighs 40 pounds and has a relatively small surface area and could have been placed behind a rock to break the water current.

At 2:02 FF says "I know the treasure chest is wet.

Last edited:

OhioAdventurer

Apr 5, 2014
Zanesville, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In there could also mean, river, lake, forest, canyon. It could easily be in a river, creek, or stream, as it weighs 40 pounds and has a relatively small surface area and could have been placed behind a rock to break the water current.

At 2:02 FF says "I know the treasure chest is wet.

Forrest could have easily meant this:

Whet (h is silent): a thing that stimulates appetite or desire.

Also, if the TC was submerged, the wood lining would more than likely rot. Anything in the Rocky Mountains above 6,000 ft would get wet at some point during the four seasons.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is so true at the Big Picture level of the whole US.....but taking it down to the level of the local search and there is no other answer.

The Blaze IS the Shortcut

Head em off at the Pass Cowboy

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forrest could have easily meant this:

Also, if the TC was submerged, the wood lining would more than likely rot. Anything in the Rocky Mountains above 6,000 ft would get wet at some point during the four seasons.

Its below 6000ft though...Somewhere around his 'Jar of 5450'..

He knows it's wet.......'exposed to the rain, sleet, snow, and can easily be scortched by fire'.

Its so easy that a '3 year old can walk right up to it and touch it', 'with a little help from their parents'..........signifying that it would be propped up on something that a 3 yo couldn't reach

nobody would just find it by chance

A place that few people go to...a remote location......but one with trails and roads that carry you nearby.

The Chest is also in a place that relates to a favorite fishing hole he keeps secret.....!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread