Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had 5 inches of rain in the last week and decided to go check our gravel bars to see if anything washed out today. I am thrilled to have found a broken corner tang! This is something I've always wanted to find and even though the tip is broken off, its still a great find for me!!
We found big scraper, lots of flint and a couple of other broken pieces, too--one of the broken pieces looks like its been a big knife.
Also found a beautiful, teeny, tiny thumb scraper made from a grey translucent material. It has flaking on both sides and is almost teardrop shaped. The tip of this thing was barely sticking out and I could see the flaking! Its almost perfect! Here's some in-situ pics and will "reply" with some cleaned up pics....
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_2446.JPG
    IMG_2446.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 567
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More pics~

Attachments

• IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 647
  • IMG_2466.JPG
    IMG_2466.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 892
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a few more~~

Attachments

• IMG_2470.JPG
    IMG_2470.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_2477.JPG
    IMG_2477.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_2476.JPG
    IMG_2476.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 548
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more~~

Attachments

• IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_2469.JPG
    IMG_2469.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 535
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uniface said:
Quite a day ! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:
Yes, it was! I wish that corner tang wasn't broke but it was still an exciting find!
Thanks for the comments Uniface!
regards,
sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Wow! Wow! Great finds. All very nice. To even find part of a corner tang is something. See? Good things do happen to people that hang out at gravel bars. :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Wow ! Wow! Wow! Great finds. All very nice. To even find part of a corner tang is something. See? Good things do happen to people that hang out at gravel bars. :thumbsup:
HH
TnMtns
Thanks TnMtns! Finding that corner tang was really cool!! You can bet we'll be "hanging out" at that gravel bar every time we get a good rain! :wink:
kind regards,
sandcreek
Nigel Tufnel said:
That tang is absolutely gorgeous!! A fine day indeed!!! :toothy2: :toothy2:
Thanks Nigel!
regards,
sandcreek

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Very nice finds, that cornewr tang is quite a heart breaker, but the best end looks great. Take care and good luck. JYD...

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Love the tang! :icon_thumleft: We need to get down along the river east of us and hit those sand bars when it goes back down.
You sure do, Stoney! No telling what you'll find! I think you all got more rain than us? Seems like Ponca always catches the brunt of the storms that come across northern Okla.--but that's a good thing when you're looking for artifacts, huh? Hope you find something good :thumbsup:..
regards,
sandcreek
JUNKYARD DOG said:
Very nice finds, that cornewr tang is quite a heart breaker, but the best end looks great. Take care and good luck. JYD...
JYD---You know finding the corner tang was so exciting, even with the missing tip. My grandpa hunted for 30 years and only found three, so they must be kinda rare for this area. I think most are found in Texas(?).
Thanks for the comments!
kind regards,
sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pickaway said:
Wow you cleaned up,Nice pics...& finds...
Thanks pickaway! It was an awesome day and the kids always enjoying poking around on the gravel bar. They found a lizard, wooley worms and fossils too. Just good, clean fun in the great outdoors.
kind regards,
sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had river hunted and tried some streams this year. Our creeks are too deep to walk. Anyways I carried a metal rake and raked out the gravel bars,lol .
Is that just wrong or a good idea? It sure kicked out some I would not have seen. Of course I was on private property. :sign13:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
naturegirl said:
That was a great day, huh? Nice, Nice! Great lighting in those pictures too.

ng
Thanks naturegirl. That camera of Josie's takes the best pics! Its amazing how much detail it will pick up.
We've been wondering about you---did you get out after all this rain and do any artifact hunting? Our creeks were all up and everything was washed, the flint was really shining!
regards,
sandcreek
TnMountains said:
I always had river hunted and tried some streams this year. Our creeks are too deep to walk. Anyways I carried a metal rake and raked out the gravel bars,lol .
Is that just wrong or a good idea? It sure kicked out some I would not have seen. Of course I was on private property. :sign13:
I always find stuff on the creek gravel bars, TnMnts.. There's a couple that produce better than others. We've done some river hunting but have never found too much that way. I think there's a lot of people who canoe on the Arkansas River and find quite a bit on the sandbars. When we go to the creek, we usually carry a long stick with a net on the end to pull stuff out. I pulled out a couple of arrowheads like that. Our pink flint really shines in the water. We might need to start carrying a rake too! That's a pretty good idea, (as long as you're on private property of course :icon_thumright: ;D)
Thanks for the comments!
sandcreek

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Great finds Sandcreek, :headbang: yea them corner tangs are really cool! What a heartbreaker. Oh, well, it just inspires you to keep on the hunt...next trip could be the one!

BW

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
Great finds Sandcreek, :headbang: yea them corner tangs are really cool! What a heartbreaker. Oh, well, it just inspires you to keep on the hunt...next trip could be the one!

BW
Thanks BW! My daughter said "How are we gonna top finding a corner tang?!"
You could hear us screaming a mile away ;D!
It was a RUSH!!

Thanks for the comments!
kind regards,
sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I always smooth it back out with the rake when done. I take the heavy metal rake like you would use in concrete. The rivers around here have hundreds of sites so we go by duck boat. Hit one spot after another and cover about twenty miles. If we find just one it has been a glorious day of surface hunting, :icon_sunny:
Regards to you
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions