Found a colonial log cabin? *UPDATE

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I ventured into the woods today on a mission. I had been doing some research on a potential site of a very early log cabin. Early being 1730ish! There is some local lore about this cabin and it's occupant (trying not to give away too much info here) and I figured I would take a shot at finding it. I had a general idea of where the cabin was located and it is in a very tough to access area. The only way to get there was to approach it from the opposite side of the mountain and hike down into the notch between two peaks to the area in question. It was a steep climb up the mountain but it was do-able. Of course I wasn't carrying any equipment either! I left the detector at home since this was merely a search mission. After descending into the notch I noticed a small pool of water ahead of me which was a natural spring. I knew this would have been a likely area for a cabin since a water source would have been required. As I approached the spring I was able to see some rocks placed in a small wall where the water actually came out of the mountain side. This was a good clue. Someone had definitely used this spring to get water and these rocks had been placed there a very long time ago. I started to survey the area knowing that the cabin would likely be close by. There were a few flat spots around and I began to check each one for any signs of a cabin. Then as I reached one of the larger flat areas I saw something. There were the remains of a couple very old logs that were piled on top of each other at a 90 degree angle and as I got closer still I could see that they were notched and set into place! YES, this was the corner of a very old log cabin! Almost nothing was left but I could see a very faint outline of the footprint of the old cabin in the form of a slight mound where the logs had deteriorated. It looked to be about 10' X 12' (approx). There was no sign of any iron in the structure such as nails or pins. There was no evidence of roofing material (asphalt singles, tar paper). At this point I'm thinking I have found this long lost cabin of local lore but I would like to know what your opinions are. The question that keeps popping into my mind is: Could these logs really have survived 250+ years? Can they really be that old? I'd like to think so. I will certainly be visiting the area again soon armed with my metal detector. Hopefully I will find definitive evidence that tells me the age of the site. I'll keep you posted.......

Attachments

• cabin.JPG
    cabin.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 2,345
Upvote 0

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah thats the place...you found nothing?? wow im suprised considering the orinally occupants of the town came over from england looooong time ago..lol...went there back in the day looking for ghosts..lol....gregg

still wish i had a detector back then..lol

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
kdismuke1 said:
NICE. CONGRATS. KEEP LOOKING. :thumbsup:

I agree...Keep looking. There's more to be found there. The old homestead is there somewhere.
Randy

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hello!

No way this is 250 years old. First of all there was a standard for pioneer cabin making. Those are twigs. Large hand hewn trees were used and when I say large I mean large (4 foot + diameter). Old squatter lessons were learned by not using forrest twigs. Huge logs were used in those days because they were plentiful and most importantly because every tree contains hundreds of thousands of nasty little bugs including termites. If you hand hewn a tree down to its core 16" x 16" no problems. All in all if I saw hand hewn beams in that photo I would get excited if I were you.

Very large, 150 year old Ash trees, can take just as long to decay.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
lostlake88 said:
Hello!

No way this is 250 years old. First of all there was a standard for pioneer cabin making. Those are twigs. Large hand hewn trees were used and when I say large I mean large (4 foot + diameter). Old squatter lessons were learned by not using forrest twigs. Huge logs were used in those days because they were plentiful and most importantly because every tree contains hundreds of thousands of nasty little bugs including termites. If you hand hewn a tree down to its core 16" x 16" no problems. All in all if I saw hand hewn beams in that photo I would get excited if I were you.

Very large, 150 year old Ash trees, can take just as long to decay.

Maybe not 250 years old, but he has already found a large cent. That tells me this is an old homestead. There's more to be found there. Keep looking.
Randy

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Thats a hot spot and chances of finding even older items is High I hope you keep hitting it

mickk

Jul 23, 2006
Get back there with one of those petrol blowers used after you mow the lawns and move those leaves to get a better look at the lie of the land.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you waiting for, camp out there for the week, call in sick, tell the wife or the sinificate other that your lost or hanging out with the boys. LOL :wink Happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread