Found Black Silver today, toothpaste clean test !! Before and after...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all :hello:

Found this dime today, wow it was black as night. :o I know toothpaste to work good on tarnished silver but I just wanted to confirm it some more. :dontknow: just a fast 5 min cleaning. :headbang: (Normal fluoride toothpaste). :hello2: Won't make your silver re-tarnish and won't make it smell like death. Like silver cleaners do... :notworthy:

Here are some before and after pics of how it went, :o I hope you enjoy, and learn a new trick!! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

Attachments

• SIlver09 001.jpg
    SIlver09 001.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • SIlver09 004.jpg
    SIlver09 004.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • SIlver09 003.jpg
    SIlver09 003.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • SIlver09 005.jpg
    SIlver09 005.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • SIlver09 002.jpg
    SIlver09 002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • SIlver09 006.jpg
    SIlver09 006.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,011
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
romeo-1 said:
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
:icon_scratch:

well I use toothpaste on all my Silver coins ::) and it's never done any harm what so ever :icon_scratch:

SS

It's being damaged in the same way a dug coin already is.... a lot of scratching, just not obvious to the naked eye. I do know what a coin looks like after using an abrasive and don't like it because it makes the high points very shiny and leaves the rest of the coin as is. I'd rather clean it in a way that it cleans all parts equal. Now is it a big deal if it's not a valuable coin, and you like the look.... nope. Just a matter of taste, but there's other ways to clean dug items without rubbing the crap out of the high surface points.

PS... A buffed silver coin with a mirror type finish looks brutal. It's most certainly clean, but man it looks bad. That's on coins that are more modern silver and not covered in the black stuff. I have a couple friends that polished their reales. (looks terrible)

I kinda like the way it looks dug. If you already know what it is, why clean it? A little dirt don't hurt nuthin. IMO.

Personal preference...nothing more.

That's what it's all about. :thumbsup: How you want it to look. :icon_sunny:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
For the record, i didn't polish my 8 reale...I cleaned it. Besides, i have a back up! ;D

For the record, I wasn't talking about you. :P

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
For the record, i didn't polish my 8 reale...I cleaned it. Besides, i have a back up! ;D

For the record, I wasn't talking about you. :P

That's right...and let's keep it that way! ;D :tongue3:

It was Lucky Lee that showed us IH & I) his 8 reale that we could see our reflection in. It was such a nice coin when dug, but now looks terrible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread