Found Black Silver today, toothpaste clean test !! Before and after...

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all :hello:

Found this dime today, wow it was black as night. :o I know toothpaste to work good on tarnished silver but I just wanted to confirm it some more. :dontknow: just a fast 5 min cleaning. :headbang: (Normal fluoride toothpaste). :hello2: Won't make your silver re-tarnish and won't make it smell like death. Like silver cleaners do... :notworthy:

Here are some before and after pics of how it went, :o I hope you enjoy, and learn a new trick!! :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D ;D

Attachments

• SIlver09 001.jpg
    SIlver09 001.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,015
  • SIlver09 004.jpg
    SIlver09 004.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • SIlver09 003.jpg
    SIlver09 003.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • SIlver09 005.jpg
    SIlver09 005.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • SIlver09 002.jpg
    SIlver09 002.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • SIlver09 006.jpg
    SIlver09 006.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,011
Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I figured we all knew don't clean any valuable coins, even a rinse with water can be risky. ::) Value can go down on cleaned coins. :-\ This can be used for your .925 silver jewelry too, not just coins. :hello2:

You must have forgotten that there are alot of people who come here thru search engines an other means to find info on all types of things an they probly will not know not to use tooth paste as a cleaner on valueable items....

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
allen said:
looks like that method works pretty nicely !!
That method puts fine scratches in the silver, might as well use very fine sand paper with Wright's silver cream smeared on it.. have about the same result....

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver with good detail, nice.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
allen said:
That method puts fine scratches in the silver, might as well use very fine sand paper with Wright's silver cream smeared on it.. have about the same result....

Remember we already said don't use it on any valuable silver... :tongue3: I'm suggesting this method for cheap silver coins dug from the ground and jewelry for that, it works great and leaves stuff smelling good. :laughing7: If you prefer your jewelry or coins to stink and smell like death other than have tiny scratches you can't see with the eye. Then keep using the Tarnex everyone. :'( Oh Tarnex strips layers of metal off at a time btw... :o Almost everything you use puts tiny scratches on your coins. From the cloth you use or from anything you use to clean it, scratches it from cleaning. :dontknow: Like you guys are saying not only can they see the scratches from the toothpaste. They can also tell if you cleaned it so your grade will likely be dug or environmentally damaged and cleaned.

As far as value going up from you cleaning a coin is very slim. If you do it yourself using anything, you likely will have bad results and fail. Even if its in a way you can't tell, like the scratches. If you want a coin to go up have it professionally cleaned and graded... Its like trying to refurbish an old chair yourself, do it yourself value will likely go down because your not a professional and you are pron to do bad things. Like use toothpaste on valuable silver... :laughing7: :-[ So the best Idea is to leave the cleaning to the Professionals at the grading company on valuable coins, if you want it to go up.

I don't know whats worse telling people they can increase the value of a valuable coin by cleaning or telling people to use toothpaste on valueless items. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Well I'm sticking with this cleaning method It works great for what I need it for. :headbang: :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
I figured we all knew don't clean any valuable coins, even a rinse with water can be risky. ::) Value can go down on cleaned coins. :-\ This can be used for your .925 silver jewelry too, not just coins. :hello2:

You must have forgotten that there are alot of people who come here thru search engines an other means to find info on all types of things an they probly will not know not to use tooth paste as a cleaner on valueable items....

Ok, I can't disagree with this I should have put a warning. Sorry :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
creeper71 said:
allen said:

As far as value going up from you cleaning a coin is very slim. If you do it yourself using anything, you likely will have bad results and fail.

Well lets see, I just dug one three weeks ago that only had a few letters exposed but after cleaning all words could be read and it was many times better. Oh.. I also sold it for $5,000. I've done the same thing with buttons too... from very corroded to beautiful and worth many times the value as dug.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

well I use toothpaste on all my Silver coins ::) and it's never done any harm what so ever :icon_scratch:

SS

Attachments

• pf1.jpg
    pf1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 408
OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch, You have learned a skill at cleaning and can clearly do a good job. Most people don't know what you know and will not have the same results... :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Iron Patch, You have learned a skill at cleaning and can clearly do a good job. Most people don't know what you know and will not have the same results... :icon_thumleft:

But it all goes back to my saying you never need toothpaste or any abrasive because there are other ways.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

well I use toothpaste on all my Silver coins ::) and it's never done any harm what so ever :icon_scratch:

SS

Thank you, :notworthy: :hello2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

SS

It's being damaged in the same way a dug coin already is.... a lot of scratching, just not obvious to the naked eye. I do know what a coin looks like after using an abrasive and don't like it because it makes the high points very shiny and leaves the rest of the coin as is. I'd rather clean it in a way that it cleans all parts equal. Now is it a big deal if it's not a valuable coin, and you like the look.... nope. Just a matter of taste, but there's other ways to clean dug items without rubbing the crap out of the high surface points.

PS... A buffed silver coin with a mirror type finish looks brutal. It's most certainly clean, but man it looks bad. That's on coins that are more modern silver and not covered in the black stuff. I have a couple friends that polished their reales. (looks terrible)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

It's being damaged in the same way a dug coin already is.... a lot of scratching, just not obvious to the naked eye. I do know what a coin looks like after using an abrasive and don't like it because it makes the high points very shiny and leaves the rest of the coin as is. I'd rather clean it in a way that it cleans all parts equal. Now is it a big deal if it's not a valuable coin, and you like the look.... nope. Just a matter of taste, but there's other ways to clean dug items without rubbing the crap out of the high surface points.
You just dull the high points out :P

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

Bury it again? ;D

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

Bury it again? ;D
Bleach ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

SS

Bury it again? ;D
Bleach ;D

Yep, you guys have all the answers! :D

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record, i didn't polish my 8 reale...I cleaned it. Besides, i have a back up! ;D

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

PS... A buffed silver coin with a mirror type finish looks brutal. It's most certainly clean, but man it looks bad. That's on coins that are more modern silver and not covered in the black stuff. I have a couple friends that polished their reales. (looks terrible)

I kinda like the way it looks dug. If you already know what it is, why clean it? A little dirt don't hurt nuthin. IMO.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

I kinda like the way it looks dug. If you already know what it is, why clean it? A little dirt don't hurt nuthin. IMO.

Personal preference...nothing more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread