• BCC 2 042.jpg
    BCC 2 042.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 13,196
Upvote 3

john adams

Feb 10, 2006
Tuatara
You said
Nobody crushes valuable species. I believe this suggestion is some sort of a practical joke.

Unless someone has a buyer for gold in rocks,which would bankrupt a gold buyer fast then they must be crushed to dolly out the rock. Has been the way since gold was valuable.
We do it to some extent on a daily basis.
Of course a really pretty piece is worth trying to find a buyer. A example posted on a different forum by a friend of mine.
Even if that rock was slabbed I don't see it paying as well or fast as dollying it up and getting a sellable product now.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,886

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
john adams said:
Tuatara
You said
Nobody crushes valuable species. I believe this suggestion is some sort of a practical joke.

Unless someone has a buyer for gold in rocks,which would bankrupt a gold buyer fast then they must be crushed to dolly out the rock. Has been the way since gold was valuable.
Of course a really pretty piece is worth trying to find a buyer. A example posted on a different forum by a friend of mine.
Even if that rock was slabbed I don't see it paying as well or fast as dollying it up and getting a sellable product now.

John

Good answer, now we are learning including me (gold finds over here are rare) - THANKS!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
john adams said:
Tuatara
You said

John

Very well said and exactly spot on,I kind of said that from the get go of this post.....I have just been sitting back giggling.You have to realize %99 of the people posting about how RICH,the finder is dont have a clue :hello:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tuatara said:
Nobody crushes valuable speccies. I believe this suggestion is some sort of a practical joke.

These are some of the questions that need attention. Unlike Treasure_Hunter suggestions, I've given up on the how much & weight, I'm interested in the why?
Otherwise this suggestions the best course of action for those that read this & don't know better. I always thought that TN was about learning. Whether Treasure_Hunter thinks I'm impling he's rude doesn't bother me (because I'm not), 99% of the time I'm respectful to everyone, even those that attack me.

If you post this kind of find - you have to expect this (lively debate, those that have questions, those that don't care, those that don't have a clue, those that do) It's this that makes it a great place, does it not?

CRUSADER,

I do not think you are being rude to me. I object to those who said Dan was being rude for not answering every question they asked.

It is my belief that what a person does with the finds they dig up or find is their business, and no one elses, they choose to share pictures and what info they wish to share with us is great, and what they don't wish to share is their right, and they should not be badgered about it.........

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
CRUSADER said:
tuatara said:
Nobody crushes valuable speccies. I believe this suggestion is some sort of a practical joke.

These are some of the questions that need attention. Unlike Treasure_Hunter suggestions, I've given up on the how much & weight, I'm interested in the why?
Otherwise this suggestions the best course of action for those that read this & don't know better. I always thought that TN was about learning. Whether Treasure_Hunter thinks I'm impling he's rude doesn't bother me (because I'm not), 99% of the time I'm respectful to everyone, even those that attack me.

If you post this kind of find - you have to expect this (lively debate, those that have questions, those that don't care, those that don't have a clue, those that do) It's this that makes it a great place, does it not?

CRUSADER,

I do not think you are being rude to me. I object to those who said Dan was being rude for not answering every question they asked.
SS

It is my belief that what a person does with the finds they dig up or find is their business, and no one elses, they choose to share pictures and what info they wish to share with us is great, and what they don't wish to share is their right, and they should not be baggered about it.........

I know & agree. (I can read your CAPS above your Avatar)
You reply to a lot of people, you don't ignore there questions & I would hope that when asked something you don't want to share you would reply so. Ignoring lots of similar questions without replys get us where we are now.......
I find it strange you first reply in this thread was tag :wink: and your second was six days later :icon_scratch: yet now you keep asking for more details :icon_scratch: it seems the poster doesn't want to give them...let's just leeve it there, it's his find and post :)

Congrats on making the Banner

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
john adams said:
Tuatara
You said

John

Very well said and exactly spot on,I kind of said that from the get go of this post.....I have just been sitting back giggling.You have to realize %99 of the people posting about how RICH,the finder is dont have a clue :hello:

These sort of facts is some of what I was after (the weight of Gold would have been a bonus), this interests me because its a gap in my knowledge.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

Wow so you just wanted to know about the facts of the find :o how much Gold, what's it worth ect. You just couldn't say great find, banner worthy...not the first time, and as for you comments about judjing from pictures ::) we not talking about a coin that might be fake are we ???

And now I see you removed your earlier posts :o :o :sad1:

SS

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
I would not separate it. Its worth more as a specimen. Its hard to find gold that size anymore. I would definetly get it appraised before doing anything to it. Great Great find.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Banner for Sure!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
John, those are very nice specimens.

I wouldn't doubt you'll get offers on them, if they are for sale.

rmptr

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Congrats on the great find, what information you decide to share is your choice. Although there is a lot of bickering going on in this thread, I have learned a ton of information on a topic I had no clue about. Great thread even though I had to read through everything else to get at the usefull information.

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I find it amazing that a specimen this size is found and I am gratefull that I got to see a picture of it!
I find it rediculous that people get offended because their questions are not answered right away or at all! This man didnt have to share one bit of this story, but chose to do so. Yes, its possible this would be worth more if left whole, but maybe each one of them wanted their own little piece to keep and cherish....either way its none of our buisness how it turns out! I dont recall ever seeing him say that they have actually broke it up yet either! Maybe theres a reason for not coming out and giving every single detail! I think its awesome that him and his buddies got to experience such a thing and hope for it to happen to all of you gold hounds. If the guy is as busy as he sounds, he probably dont have the time to sit down and soothe all of your belly aching anyway. 8)

I'm no expert here but how is a specimen collector going to estimate how much gold is in that massive rock? Everyone keeps saying that it is worth more as a specimen. I can't see that because it is such a massive rock and could be mostly quartz. I'm pretty sure that professional gold hounds would have broken up a rock like this 9 out 10 times to know how much value there is. No one in a million years would know how much gold is in that rock unless they processed it or can you actually x-ray it? :dontknow:
What if specimen collectors estimated there to be x amount of gold, bid accordingly and there was actually way more gold in the center? How can we tell from a picture?
Logic would have made the decision for me to break it up! Staring at a rock as beautiful as it is, doesn't pay the bills!
Like I said, I am no expert though.
Great find no matter what is done with it. :thumbsup:
Dave.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
I'm no expert here but how is a specimen collector going to estimate how much gold is in that massive rock? Everyone keeps saying that it is worth more as a specimen. I can't see that because it is such a massive rock and could be mostly quartz. I'm pretty sure that professional gold hounds would have broken up a rock like this 9 out 10 times to actually know how much value there is. No one in a million years would know how much gold is in that rock unless they processed it or can you actually x-ray it? :dontknow:
What if specimen collectors estimated there to be x amount of gold, bid accordingly and there was actually way more gold in the center? How can we tell from a picture?
Logic would have made the decision for me to break it up! Staring at a rock as beautiful as it is, doesn't pay the bills!
Dave.

Muddy,

Its already been talked about earlier in this thread, but there is a test for determining the gold to quartz in ore. Its' called a Specific Gravity Test.

This site will explain it: http://www.gold-nuggets.org/specific-gravity-test.htm

Best-Mike

gollum said:
Muddyhandz said:
I'm no expert here but how is a specimen collector going to estimate how much gold is in that massive rock? Everyone keeps saying that it is worth more as a specimen. I can't see that because it is such a massive rock and could be mostly quartz. I'm pretty sure that professional gold hounds would have broken up a rock like this 9 out 10 times to actually know how much value there is. No one in a million years would know how much gold is in that rock unless they processed it or can you actually x-ray it? :dontknow:
Dave.

Muddy,

Its already been talked about earlier in this thread, but there is a test for determining the gold to quartz in ore. Its' called a Specific Gravity Test.

This site will explain it: http://www.gold-nuggets.org/specific-gravity-test.htm

Best-Mike

Thanks Mike, that is good to know. I am learning a lot from this thread. How would you determine the matrix?
I guess there is probably test for that too. So based on the formulas from that website, we can determine how much gold is in that rock?
Interesting.
Dave.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can only determine that if you have the weight of the specimen in air and in water. Then you can use the formula to figure the gold content.

The owner (with good reason) is keeping some of that information under his hat.

Best-Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muddyhandz said:
gollum said:
Muddyhandz said:
Dave.

Muddy,

Best-Mike

Thanks Mike, that is good to know. I am learning a lot from this thread. How would you determine the matrix?
I guess there is probably test for that too. So based on the formulas from that website, we can determine how much gold is in that rock?
Interesting.
Dave.

Now we are learning (me included) :thumbsup:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries. I'm just here for the beer to help! ;D

Best-Mike

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've followed this post from the start, and was curious as to what other members had to say before I piped in. Seems as though opinions on this find are as varied as the individuals who have posted them. There isn't any doubt in my mind that I would sell that thing, AFTER I extracted ALL the gold, powder, flakes ,and nuggets. As for this whole weight equasion, ratio stuff, to determine how much gold is actually contained in this thing, I would NOT put stock in this AT ALL. Common sense says bust this up and extract the GOLD. What do you think a mining company would do with this thing? Save it for posterity? ::) :tongue3: :laughing9: Everyone has their own priorities. For me it's cash. Not everyone is independantly wealthy. I've had some great finds that I have sold for some serious cash recently. This is why I got into this "hobby", and thats what I am going to continue to do, whether it's looked down upon by some members or not. Ultimately it's up to the owner as to what he wants to do with it. In any case, good luck and CONGRATULATIONS on a tremendous BANNER FIND!!! Hogge P.S. Stick that in your smelter and melt it!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hardy said:
NICE FIND :icon_thumleft:
Well said. I guess I could have said this too, but for some reason I can't keep my mouth shut. Tried it once........Just didn't work for me. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread