MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Everyone,

This solves it, my detector (Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II) is trash! I made a coin garden finally and proved my detector can't find silver. It could not find a 90% silver dime or a 40% silver half dollar two inches in the ground. In coin mode or all metal mode. DO NOT PURCHASE this detector!

Thats all,
Keep @ it and HH!!

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Mud are you sure? Did you check how you had the sensitivity set? That doesn't sound right at all.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure, I adjusted the sensitivity. Plus I live in a 1800's school house that was a school till the 1940's and I have found not one silver coin but i did find wheat's and a 1865 2 cent piece, but no silver. So i am sure this yard has silver but I can't find it because my detector won't. Now this garden just proves it more. >:( :(

Keep @ it and HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
perhaps it needs to be calibrated? i have heard stories about bounty hunter pro and con but nothing about them being non functional! i would think that any machine could detect a silver dime at 2 inches. something must be wrong...........at the very least, you now know that something is up. thats the first step in getting it fixed. you may be right about that old yard still holding some silver. i would contact bounty hunter and get it checked out...unless of course you are just ready to get another machine all together.let us know what you decide to do.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey,

I think its still under warrantie so thats a plus. I am going to try and get a Ace 250 pro. A bounty hunter that works would be OK too. Cause I have never found silver with this thing.

Thanks all and Keep @ it and HH!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear (read) that MUD. If it proves to be the case, I know how you feel. I've been doing this for 39 years and I've had many metal detector disappointments. I was gullible enough to believe the detector ads and forum comments about depth.

However I must say the depths you listed are unusually poor. Could the machine be defective? You should get your best depth in the coin garden.

I know a lot of folks don't like to read this but it's true, metal detectors don't get near the depth the "field tests" give. Most (all?) of those are done by people dancing to the desires of the manufacturer(s).

I figure that if a VLF can give a nice solid signal on a freshly buried silver dime at an honest 4 1/2 inches deep it's a great detector. One reason many on here never find silver is because they can't go deep enough to reach the most common silver coin--the dime. Also, some have poor target separating machines so the great depth means almost nothing.

Except for landfill areas, dimes are usually found in the 2 1/2 to 3 1 /2 inch range. I've dug Barbers over 100 years old that looked like they were lost new and they were 2 inches deep.

I have friends in northern Michigan who are hunting the same types of ground we have here only they're after ancient Indian copper artifacts (Copper Culture). These are 6,000+ years old and are rarely deeper than 9 inches. Most are maybe 4 to 5 inches deep.

I hope you can get your detector problems taken care of soon.

Badger

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Badger,

That is some great info Thank you. The next question is what detectors can get a 4 1/2 inch ping on a freshly seeded coin.

Keep @ it and HH!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
mud, i can tell ya from expieriance that the ace 250 loves to detect silver! pound for pound i think its the best detector available in that price range. it just doesnt do well at the beach because of the set ground balance, and the depth is just ok. (although with the larger coil the depth issue should be improved upon a bit).other than those two minor drawbacks, i would say the ace can hold its own against a lot of higher priced detectors.......in my opinion.

i just had another thought.......could your depth problems be caused by highly minerilized soil messing with the bounty hunter?i just read that the quickdraw 2 has "automatic ground balance" but could that really mean "set" ground balance? if the soil in your area is especially troublesome, the ace may have trouble too, since it has set ground balance. do you know any other ace 250 users in your area that you could ask?.........just a thought.

jfx55

Apr 13, 2006
new jersey/pa/bucks county
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fisher1266-x whites 6000 pro whites 5900 di pro/nautlis 2b
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
saying goes if wheaties are here silver is near. keep trying good luck HH.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
A 2 cent piece is way better than silver! even alot of nice artifacts are better than say a silver roosevelt dime, to be honest id be more excited to find a victorian trash dump than a few silver roosies. Is your detector better than the BH Tracker 4? I had that and it could get hits on silver at least 3 or 4 inches away, if not more.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a Golden Retriever that can find a freshly-plated coin that deep. I presume you got fresh batteries in it? Good luck. If you're really into this stuff, you should move up anyway. If you hadn't given all your money to the homeless Californian's, you could get a new one. ;D

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you hollowpointred good info, I here the ace is good. I don't know any who uses the Bounty Hunter. JakePhelps a 2 cent piece is better I know. However if silver is in the ground I want it too. ;D packerbacker batteries are good. You should see if your dog is digging up your hand smell and not the metal, wear latex gloves. I would like an XLT but right now I can't afford one I could last year not this year so far.

jfx55 said:
saying goes if Wheaties are here silver is near. keep trying good luck HH.

Or something like that...

Keep @ it and HH!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Sorry your having so many problems Mud. If you go with the XLT you won't be sorry. I found a silver half real (and you know how small that is) at nine inches last year. Try looking on ebay for a used XLT. I got my first one that way for around $400. Take care...Lance

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mud, my back up detector is a BH Pioneer 101, and while I admit it is not a very good detector, it will locate silver at 2" deep. Sounds like you might have a problem of some sorts. Think about upgrading to an ACE250 or something similar, it's worth a few extra bucks for the incredible difference in performance, Good luck Mud!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an XLT, a Fisher CZ7A and an old Garrett MH5 and I'm about to order an Ace 250. I'd like a Troy X5 but I'm renovating a room, Ouch! HH, Mike

R

rvbvetter

Sorry about your detector. My detecting partner has the Ace 250 and so I got to try it a few times. It's really impressed me.
If you can swing it, then I'd say don't even mess with your old one and just get the Ace 250. You'll be surprised at the difference in depth. My partner (and me too) have easily dug coins at 6 in. with the Ace. And I know that he's dug deeper ones with it. If there's silver where you live, then the Ace will find it.
I don't sell them, heck, I don't even have one. For the price, it just honestly impressed me that much. HH

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
mud like the others said sorry to hear about your detector, it does sound like somethng is wrong with it. I would box up and send back to bounty hunter to be checked,just off question did you have fresh batteries in it.
hh
dave+bobbie

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.
I have an old Fisher 1265x that I had belt mounted & it works fine. I have a fisher 1280x for water hunting but I bought a Tesoro Copadre for $151.00 for my grandson & he has a hard time getting it away from me. At 12 khz it even found my test gold nugget at 2 in. I think I will order a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq now To replace my old gold bug because of the ground balance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread