Found my first big silver!!!!

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a short time tonight to get out to hunt so I did it. Put off winter tilling and planting rye for my mothers garden but it was worth it. I hit a curb strip thats part of the old town across the street from where a hotel used to sit in the 1880s-1910s. I only had time to do one pass closest to the street before it got dark. Loads of can signals everywhere but I hit this sweet 89-92 VDI with the confidence meter to the max and I was digging it even if it was another piece of a lock or natural gas regulator or car thermostat and boy was I surprised when this popped out of the plug. It was only about 3-4 inches down. Looks pretty fresh I havn't washed it yet, which I will do now and take some photos. Besides that some older junky high conductors but no other old coins. I still need to go back as I only got about 1/3 of the strip detected. I was running my F 75 and Nel sharpshooter coil because I anticipated trash and EMI, sens 85, disc 4, 3 tone, DE process. Cheers guys.

So I just rinsed it in the sink with the sprayer and its an 1892 O. I'm not going to rub it or brush it or anything but I wish I could get more of the dirt off but I suppose I will leave it just as it is. 125 years of living in asphalt pitch and being parked on didn't do it any favors.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1420.JPG DSCN3096.JPG DSCN3098.JPG

This was playing on the radio when I drove home, how fitting.

I was lucky enough to see him in concert last May. RIP

Last edited:
Upvote 32

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Congratulations on your first big silver Barber Half. I'd leave it be as the cleaning goes. Looks just fine to me.:headbang:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that coin is a micro "o" you have a unbelievable find.. It is a awesome find either way that. Congrats!!!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good coin ! Has a lot of detail too !! There are a lot of people here who can school you on how to safely clean that coin .

OP
OP
L

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for reminding me about that! I actually collect Barber Halves because I think they are really undervalued and will eventually catch on into main stream collecting. I almost have the Wittman albums filled, just need a couple early keys including this guy. I will take a closer look at it now.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A super Silver Half...Congrats on the find.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Find - Congrats! :occasion14:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Great find. The first thing I would try is soaking it in DI water,change the water every 3 days and see how that goes. You can buy a gallon of it at the store for a dollar or so.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Please do not clean it. If you check auction sites one of the constant themes is " improperly cleaned ". This applies to any method and will reduce the value. Somewhere down the line let the buyer deal with that. It doesn't matter how nice it looks to you or me, the collectors opinion is key when the time comes to sell.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Nice job, don't really see a lot of barber half dollars dug. I've dug a bust half, several seated halves, several walkers, but haven't gotten my coil over a barber half yet.

Jaysix

Dec 14, 2016
Portage, pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac (current)
Garrett At Pro (previous)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Big silver is the best feeling ever.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver half, like you stated "125 years of living in asphalt pitch and being parked on didn't do it any favors." So the cleaning it up some won't be the deal breaker at all.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first big silver. A Barber Half is a great coin to dig. I personally only water my silvers off. I like to remember them the way they came out of the ground, no matter how nice or bad they may look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions