Found my first big silver!!!!

lurk

Oct 28, 2015
Midwest
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD SE, Pro Pointer AT, Nel Sharpshooter coil, formerly ATPro & ATGold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a short time tonight to get out to hunt so I did it. Put off winter tilling and planting rye for my mothers garden but it was worth it. I hit a curb strip thats part of the old town across the street from where a hotel used to sit in the 1880s-1910s. I only had time to do one pass closest to the street before it got dark. Loads of can signals everywhere but I hit this sweet 89-92 VDI with the confidence meter to the max and I was digging it even if it was another piece of a lock or natural gas regulator or car thermostat and boy was I surprised when this popped out of the plug. It was only about 3-4 inches down. Looks pretty fresh I havn't washed it yet, which I will do now and take some photos. Besides that some older junky high conductors but no other old coins. I still need to go back as I only got about 1/3 of the strip detected. I was running my F 75 and Nel sharpshooter coil because I anticipated trash and EMI, sens 85, disc 4, 3 tone, DE process. Cheers guys.

So I just rinsed it in the sink with the sprayer and its an 1892 O. I'm not going to rub it or brush it or anything but I wish I could get more of the dirt off but I suppose I will leave it just as it is. 125 years of living in asphalt pitch and being parked on didn't do it any favors.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1420.JPG DSCN3096.JPG DSCN3098.JPG

This was playing on the radio when I drove home, how fitting.

I was lucky enough to see him in concert last May. RIP

Last edited:
Upvote 32

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now THAT'S a winner! Congrats! :thumbsup:

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not a Micro O, but it's still a key date. Prices for 1892-O halves start out at $250-300 in Good (heavily worn condition). In comparison, a normal common Barber half in the same condition is worth $8-10. The details on yours are much better than Good, but the value is probably in the Good-Very Good condition range. You definitely don't want to try and clean this and I would leave the coin exactly as is until you talk to someone who is HIGHLY skilled at cleaning coins because a sloppy or hasty cleaning attempt would leave it looking polished and much worse than it does now. An incredible find!

Walldow

Feb 27, 2017
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher F-22, Garrett Carrot, Detech ultimate coil, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find happy for you!!! I also just seen Tom Petty at Wrigley Field this past June crazy still sounded like he did long ago. Good luck out there.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job, don't really see a lot of barber half dollars dug. I've dug a bust half, several seated halves, several walkers, but haven't gotten my coil over a barber half yet.

Cal Cobra, I'm supremely jealous! Bust half and seated half are the types of bucket listers I don't even put on my list because they're so improbable! I've dug a barber half (1905 S which went through a lawn mower) but the experience of digging a seated half would beat any single dig I've ever made!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!
I like my old silver dirty, my favorite coins are the ones I talked myself out of cleaning...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread