Found my first GOLD RING today!!! 14K WOOT! WOOT!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
After being forced to suffer through reading post after post of all the beach guys here scooping gold out of the sand, I decided to head to a beach of my own. I have only been hunting sporadically as of late due to the blistering heat, but we got a little rain this afternoon and the temp dropped enough for me to get in a quick hunt. There is a lake located on some national forest land a couple of miles away from my home, so around 6:00 this evening I packed up the Delta 4000 and headed out.

This "beach" is actually a large grassy area about 200 yards long and about 50 yards wide. There is a rock wall where the beach ends, and due to "capillary action" the ground stays moist. I was actually able to dig plugs here, not just chip away at the rock hard red clay. Very easy digging compared to what I have been dealing with as of late.

Found a few pull tabs, about $2.00 worth of clad quarters, a few dimes, a nickel, a fishing sinker, and a Sacajawea dollar, then the Delta rang up "57/5 cents" at about two bars deep. Dug the plug and saw the glimmer of gold staring back at me. The ring is a little bent out of shape and marked "Magnolia 14K". Weighs in @ 2.5 grams.

1st_gold_ring.jpg

The whole time I was detecting there were these three kids pestering the crap out of me, asking if I had "found anything" every time I crouched down to dig. I was very tolerant and nice to them even though they were hovering over me constantly and getting in the way while I was rechecking my holes. I was explaining how the machine worked, how to read the display, ect. I try to encourage today's youth to do anything other than video games so I put up with them in between their screaming and jumping into the lake.

Anyway, one of those little buggers jumps in the water and comes up screaming that he had found something. Little turd found a 14K white gold mens wedding band in the water with his toes! I congratulated him on his find, then he sold the thing to his miser grandpa for $5.00 .....

Then around closing time some crotchety old fart rolls up in a golf cart with a pug dog and asks what I am doing. I told him I was metal detecting and asked if there was a problem. He said it was OK to detect, but I couldn't be digging holes (???). I then asked him if it was true that if you smacked a pug in the back of the head if its eyeballs would pop out? He just shot me a dirty look. I will be going back to this spot again in spite of what he has to say. If a park ranger or DNR guy tells me not to MD I will gladly comply but I'm not going to let some old codger picking up trash in a golf cart run me off this spot. I haven't even searched 10% of the beach and this spot is producing some good stuff so he hasn't seen the last of me....... I'm hotter than the rollin' dice gramps so step aside and let the Hombre through!!!!

Anyway, I digress. I think I may have found a good spot. I don't think this place has been pounded out and I expect it to give up some more jewelry for sure.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post and HAPPY HUNTING to all!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I was going to go back last night, but my attorney friend convinced me it would be better to wait a day or two just so I could cool down a bit.

My lineage is mostly mild mannered English, but there is a good portion of Comanche Indian from my late grandmothers side that rears its ugly head occasionally. I was so pi$$ed at that guy I had to rely on my brothers eyewitness account just to remember all of the things I said to him. Up North they call it "flying off the handle", down South its known as "breaking red". My brother said I was hurling so many cuss words at him it was like I was speaking in tongues at a tent revival.

I'm kind of embarrassed I let the guy get under my skin so bad, but being mistreated when you know in your heart you are in the right just sets me off, especially when it is coming from some jerk on a power trip. I've always had beef with authority.

I still could have handled myself better.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
"Molest" LOL

A girl I know just graduated with a masters in biology. She had to go to Mexico on an expedition of sorts. She said the only phrase in Spanish she bothered to learn was "No me molesto", which I think translates to "Don't bother me" or "Leave me alone".

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
dallgire said:
no me molesto translates to it doesnt bother me?

Necesito estudiar español más.

One thing I would like to add is that after calculating and adding up the scrap price on the gold ring ($70), the two silver quarters ($15), and my total in clad ($12), the Delta 4000 is almost 1/3 of the way toward "paying for itself" after a little over one month of hunting. I think the box arrived from Kellyco around June 25th.

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
lol idk what that was supposed to mean i dont speak spanish! lol Well i cant use the line "it will pay for itself baby i promise" cause i cant find squat! Never found anything gold or silver or cool for that matter! Im pretty much the clean up crew for the school i got too! lol........Last weekend i took my 4year old son and he was getting bored so i had to send him out to the practice football field with a grocery bag to pick up all the Gatorade and water bottle trash everywhere! then he was excited about his "treasure" he found! hahaha

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Necesito estudiar español más.

One thing I would like to add is that after calculating and adding up the scrap price on the gold ring ($70), the two silver quarters ($15), and my total in clad ($12), the Delta 4000 is almost 1/3 of the way toward "paying for itself" after a little over one month of hunting. I think the box arrived from Kellyco around June 25th.

Oooh, that's the detector I'm pining for. My little Bounty Hunter IV has paid itself about 5 times over so far (due to two maybe lucky gold ring strikes), but that 4000 looks so sweet. And as the BH is my first detector, I'm curious if the 4000 would discover new things in areas I've previously hit.

El viejo hombre fue mas stupido. Puta mierde chinqate, hijo de puta. Well, those are all the Spanish cuss words I know. If you see him again shout them out, you'll get satisfaction but won't go to the clink for berating a poor old codger just trying to do his job! Poor old man, having to deal with all these upstart "electronic detectorists". :(

CoinDigger57

Jun 18, 2011
Wheeling, W.Va.
Detector(s) used
MineLab Etrac
:icon_thumright: This has to be the best post I've ever read!! The company that employs the old !@#$@&* should fire him. But then there would'nt be any more good stories to post about this episode. Keep us updated, ....please! :headbang:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrates on the Gold!!!

Red and I heard something similar to this Last week Please Pm me the Translation If they are Saying something about Red I'm Going to Kick some butt!!!!

El viejo hombre fue mas stupido. Puta mierde chinqate, hijo de puta

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Congratulations on the gold. It's a great feeling, and hopefully the second one comes up soon for ya. :icon_thumright:

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
gteat find, be nice to the old man, he may know a lot about the area, sometimes a smile will lead you down a new path.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The strange thing about finding gold is that you wait to find some and then you see the glimmer of gold in the dirt and you are hooked. All you want is more. I guess they call that gold fever. Congrats,very nice! :coffee2:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hee hee hee -- rough translation -- nessicary study spanish more --- you need to study spanish more * -- you speak spanish like a gringo , amigo ;D

si , habla espanol --Me LLamo - Ivan Salis ( Juan Salise') aka as El Gaupo Gordo Hombre -- "the handesome and brave fat man "

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure how I was "wrong," especially when you quoted the Forest Service yourself with "Generally, metal detector use on National Forests is restricted." Congratulations on finding out what the rules are where you have been detecting, even if it was after-the-fact. Oops, who was "wrong"? Well, not wrong, just maybe a little unethical. :wink:

At any rate, glad it all worked out as being okay and you weren't cited or arrested. As far as the old guy goes, that area is probably "his" MD area and he just wanted to keep it for himself!

Regardless of where you are at, it is always a good idea to ascertain ownership and permission prior to detecting so that you aren't giving the rest of us a bad name.

Again, congrats on the great find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread