Found my first GOLD RING today!!! 14K WOOT! WOOT!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
After being forced to suffer through reading post after post of all the beach guys here scooping gold out of the sand, I decided to head to a beach of my own. I have only been hunting sporadically as of late due to the blistering heat, but we got a little rain this afternoon and the temp dropped enough for me to get in a quick hunt. There is a lake located on some national forest land a couple of miles away from my home, so around 6:00 this evening I packed up the Delta 4000 and headed out.

This "beach" is actually a large grassy area about 200 yards long and about 50 yards wide. There is a rock wall where the beach ends, and due to "capillary action" the ground stays moist. I was actually able to dig plugs here, not just chip away at the rock hard red clay. Very easy digging compared to what I have been dealing with as of late.

Found a few pull tabs, about $2.00 worth of clad quarters, a few dimes, a nickel, a fishing sinker, and a Sacajawea dollar, then the Delta rang up "57/5 cents" at about two bars deep. Dug the plug and saw the glimmer of gold staring back at me. The ring is a little bent out of shape and marked "Magnolia 14K". Weighs in @ 2.5 grams.

1st_gold_ring.jpg

The whole time I was detecting there were these three kids pestering the crap out of me, asking if I had "found anything" every time I crouched down to dig. I was very tolerant and nice to them even though they were hovering over me constantly and getting in the way while I was rechecking my holes. I was explaining how the machine worked, how to read the display, ect. I try to encourage today's youth to do anything other than video games so I put up with them in between their screaming and jumping into the lake.

Anyway, one of those little buggers jumps in the water and comes up screaming that he had found something. Little turd found a 14K white gold mens wedding band in the water with his toes! I congratulated him on his find, then he sold the thing to his miser grandpa for $5.00 .....

Then around closing time some crotchety old fart rolls up in a golf cart with a pug dog and asks what I am doing. I told him I was metal detecting and asked if there was a problem. He said it was OK to detect, but I couldn't be digging holes (???). I then asked him if it was true that if you smacked a pug in the back of the head if its eyeballs would pop out? He just shot me a dirty look. I will be going back to this spot again in spite of what he has to say. If a park ranger or DNR guy tells me not to MD I will gladly comply but I'm not going to let some old codger picking up trash in a golf cart run me off this spot. I haven't even searched 10% of the beach and this spot is producing some good stuff so he hasn't seen the last of me....... I'm hotter than the rollin' dice gramps so step aside and let the Hombre through!!!!

Anyway, I digress. I think I may have found a good spot. I don't think this place has been pounded out and I expect it to give up some more jewelry for sure.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rambling post and HAPPY HUNTING to all!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Lookin said:
Not sure how I was "wrong," especially when you quoted the Forest Service yourself with "Generally, metal detector use on National Forests is restricted." Congratulations on finding out what the rules are where you have been detecting, even if it was after-the-fact. Oops, who was "wrong"? Well, not wrong, just maybe a little unethical. :wink:

I'm not trying to quarrel with you, but I read the rules about metal detecting on the National Forest web page before I ever even went down to that site, otherwise I would not have ventured down there in the first place. I did not find that information out "after the fact", hence my anger with the guy.

Also, I'm not sure what you are insinuating with the "unethical" comment. Please elaborate.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
My apologies, as it sounds like you did research the area and permissions there prior to going. Hence, you were ethical in your activities! I'm not aware of a "Rule of Ethics" for detecting, so each person has their own. My comment towards being "unethical," as opposed to "wrong", was my own judgement (more apologies) that you had gone detecting prior to obtaining permission/knowing the "rules." This was my misplaced judgement and assumption. I always obtain permission or as you did, find out what the rules are for an area, before swinging on it.

Again, please accept my apologies and realize that I am jealous as heck that you are finding gold and I'm not!

Lookin'

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Not a problem. Just a mix up there. Don't be jealous. I probably will never find another......

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Don't be jealous. I probably will never find another......

LOL! Sure you will! You just never know when. I'm still looking for my 2nd gold ring... :-\

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Lookin said:
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Don't be jealous. I probably will never find another......

LOL! Sure you will! You just never know when. I'm still looking for my 2nd gold ring... :-\

This place had two 14K rings within 15 feet of each other - one in the dirt and one in the water. This may just be wishful thinking, but I believe the place is probably chock full of jewelry. I think it's just "virgin" soil due to the misconception that it is entirely off limits. I found a metal tag labeled "COACH" that looked like it was from the 50's or 60's last time I was down there. There are targets all over the place. I had considered only digging the 5 cent readings from 50-70 because all the clad signals were slowing me down.

The ranger I spoke to on the phone put it to me like this:

You can't gather any Native American artifacts no matter where you might find them - even if you find one laying on the blacktop in the parking lot. I already assumed this to be true. You also can't be deep in the WMA swinging your rig around old home places or cellar holes. Places like picnic areas, swimming beaches, and campgrounds are fair game. I assumed as much from reading the website but I wanted him to clarify. I'm going back tomorrow morning before it gets too hot.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
hee hee hee -- rough translation -- nessicary study spanish more --- you need to study spanish more * -- you speak spanish like a gringo , amigo ;D

I worked in the golf biz for 10 years. That is where I mastered my gringo espanol. The Hispanic population in Georgia has EXPLODED since the mid-90's. I know all the Mexicans here probably think I sound like a moron when I attempt to communicate with them in their native tongue, but I think they appreciate the effort nonetheless. I now get a discount on all my Torta sandwiches at the local taqueria just for trying.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
how i enjoyed this post. i havent found a good way to lose pesky kids. all this is over the loot. that crusty old caretaker prob.

bags some nice finds eyeballin. many of this type go pour a little water around the johns and call it cleaned. then its off to their real

occupation which is eyeballin and sorting the trashcans for aluminum cans. great hilarioyus post. love the hang em high stuff.

BLONDDDDDIIIIEEEEEEEEE !!!

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
ahhh and the saga continues! lol funny stuff here! i want to know if he is around next time you are out there!

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
dirt doctor said:
The miser Grandpa probably gave the little kid $5.00 to pretend he found the ring. Nice going on the gold ring find. Sounds like you've got the hang of your new detector . :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

I had considered that, but the kind of excitement the kid displayed was the sort that could not be faked. Plus the ring was so big around it could have fit around gramps wrist. Thing was huge.

Didn't go this AM. Something came up. Maybe this evening I will go back if I can motivate my brother to come along. He helps me dig and provides conversation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread