Found my first real treasure!!!!!!!!!!!! Yepeeehhhhhhh (NEWS....not really :-( )

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
It all started with the fact tat I woke up at 3am and felt the urge of going on a hunt before work. So I went down to my beach. After a whole lot of coins the time went by and I was ready to go back home to et ready for work. So i decided to start walking with a big sweep,...so if i hit anything (hardly a chance,right?) I could dig some more on the way. The I had a weird signal. short one way and real long the other. I almost didn't dig it because I was sure it was another bolt. I dug it and it was.............. good thing i checked the hole again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a beautiful 18K Sapphire Ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody have any experience with the Hallmarks? As far as I can tell it's 18K from the Birmingham area. Is that right? Wow what a morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aleman

Attachments

• Sapphire Ring.jpg
    Sapphire Ring.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 13,015
  • Hallmark.jpg
    Hallmark.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 12,937
Upvote 0
OP
OP
aleman

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Re: Found my first real treasure!!!!!!!!!!!! Yepeeehhhhhhh (New Pic, closeup)

Hello everybody,
I'm glad to help with the "encouragement"!!! Always need it myself ;) ;) (not these days though). I havent had it appraised yet, but I'll leave for germany in a week, and I'll have it appraised there!!!!!!!! I'm very very excited about that of course. Every so often I need to get the Ring out to see it is there and it wasnt just a dream ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!!!
Thanx everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aleman

spartan69cs

Feb 13, 2007
utah
Detector(s) used
VLF TREASURE DETECTOR

wow, how much is it worth

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

I have to agree with Dr Quest. The 'Tables' on the sapphires are a small cut which haven't been used in a very long time. The 'Tables' on todays stones are larger to let the light refract through the stone better. You definately have an antique there, I should have looked at the stones in the first place instead of just the hallmarks ::)
Anyway I think we've all established that it's antique now, so get us a darn value ;D ;)

HH

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

are you sure you want to take it to Germany? I would put it in a safe deposit box until I return. I would not want to take the chance of having it confiscated because you did not declare it, lost with luggage, or even accused of some other unkown. Lock it up and get it appraised when you get home. Better safe than sorry.

OP
OP
aleman

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used

eathabs said:
are you sure you want to take it to Germany? I would put it in a safe deposit box until I return. I would not want to take the chance of having it confiscated because you did not declare it, lost with luggage, or even accused of some other unkown. Lock it up and get it appraised when you get home. Better safe than sorry.

Hrmmm..... Haven't thought about that. Never crossed my mind that jewelry has to be declared. It makes sence, but what about all the people that travell with thair Rings on the finger? I found it at a Hotel, so I belive it came here by plane aswell. What do you guys think about me wanting to take it? I am a bit worried now........ aleman

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

I never take anything hugely valuable when I travel.
My wife's diamond engagement ring is insured for outside loss, theft and travel. Maybe get it valued and insured before you go.

iamwood

May 27, 2006
MA

Sorry I took so long to post the pics of the ring I found.

Attachments

• ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,112
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2,112
OP
OP
aleman

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used

Its from the same area hu? Have you found out what year yours is? And have you had it appraised yet??

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice ring!!! Enough to get your blood pumpin for more.

spartan69cs

Feb 13, 2007
utah
Detector(s) used
VLF TREASURE DETECTOR

pretty pretty ;)
very nice find though :o

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found my first real treasure!!!!!!!!!!!! Yepeeehhhhhhh

Montana Jim said:
I first ID'd it at 1900

Then I agreed that it was 2000...

EITHER WAY I'M RIGHT!!! ;D ;D 8)
LOL...I agree with Montana.......Great find...ok..so i'll be diggin more pop tops from now on..lol I better get some better gloves to keep the blisters away..HH

popcorn

Jun 18, 2005

holy@#$% what a find

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

I was a jeweler for awhile. Got into some of the technical stuff and I can tell you the posts about the way the stones are cut and the fact that the stones will be MUCH better than modern stuff (they had more to choose from) are all right on the mark. You have found one heck of a ring my friend. Enjoy the moment. It may truly be the "once in a lifetime" find. Also enjoy the journey finding out more about the ring. That should be fun as well. Much more fun than looking up the date on a coin in the Redbook. You get to "Detect" some more.

One thing about getting information about the ring and its value. Take it to a Goldsmith/Jeweler. The ones who make custom jewelry, sell quality one-of-a-kind pieces. They are much more likely to know about the ring - cut of stones and their age, grade of stone, etc - that a "jeweler" at a Jewelry store. Just two different breeds.

Since you have such good pictures and we live in the digital age, I would suggest finding someone in England who deals in vintage jewelry and email the image to them. They may have experience with the exact same ring as it was manufactured in bulk. I am not sure if the English system is the same as ours but here, if a ring is made by a goldsmith it has to have their unique hallmark. It is registered and you can easily find out their name and address. It may not be that way there but there might be something close.

Congrats again on a great find.

Now who says wide swings while moving fast isn't the way to metal detect. You put that one to rest.

Daryl

deeotto

Mar 1, 2007

Wow, Some great find. Hope you have many more.

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Congrat's! That's a Beauty. Do you know how many times I've been late with that same detecting method? ;D

aleman said:
It all started with the fact tat I woke up at 3am and felt the urge of going on a hunt before work. So I went down to my beach. After a whole lot of coins the time went by and I was ready to go back home to et ready for work. So i decided to start walking with a big sweep,...so if i hit anything (hardly a chance,right?) I could dig some more on the way. The I had a weird signal. short one way and real long the other. I almost didn't dig it because I was sure it was another bolt. I dug it and it was.............. good thing i checked the hole again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I found a beautiful 18K Sapphire Ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does anybody have any experience with the Hallmarks? As far as I can tell it's 18K from the Birmingham area. Is that right? Wow what a morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aleman

Peak190

Apr 23, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x,Deleon ,Cibola,Tejon,Cortez,MXT,GTI2500

WOW!

Tsalagi

May 4, 2007
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
discovery 1100/GC-1016a/GC1018

what a beautiful ring!

sweet,sweet,sweet find

BIG CONGRATS

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

BioProffesor knows what he's talking about. The way those stones are mounted, they're deep stones, would seem to indicate to me that the ring is 1910-1920's era. It's a beauty, and 18k was reserved for the best jewelry. I hope you keep it but it's worth quite a few bob as jewelry of high quality from that era is highly sought after because the stones are so nice and its so wearable.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Old, or modern, that is one sweet looking ring, Congrats!!!
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread