Found my first silver coin! with my 250

B

Broncox Vernon BC

Hunted an area around a picnic table in the local park that is frequented by winos, crackheads and some really shady people. The park was almost deserted because of the black clouds looming overhead.
Found alot of screw caps and finally quit trying to hunt in jewellery mode because there was just too much junk so I switched to coin mode and dug this 1960 Canadian Silver dime!!

Broncox

Attachments

• 2005_05160018.JPG
    2005_05160018.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 445
  • 1960sildimeF.JPG
    1960sildimeF.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 1960sildimeB.JPG
    1960sildimeB.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
I've tried tha picnic tables at some parks, and gotten mostly bottle caps.

It was in one of these areas last week that I veared off the trail and dug a bag with 63 old Irish pounds and half pounds. Keep digging!
Happy hunting!

R

rvbvetter

Great find!! Luv that silver! Now you have to find a silver coin thats as big as your eyes got when you 1st seen it. WTG!!! HH

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
DJ you are correct, it is the Bluenose Schooner.
"It is meant to symbolize both the magnitude of the fishing industry in Canada and the maritime skills of Canadians. The Bluenose was not only a racing schooner, but also one of the great fishing vessels that helped build the reputation of the Grand Banks fishery."

I am not this smart I cheated and looked it up ::)

Nice find.
I remember growing up in Detroit we would still find the silver Canadians coins in our change
long after the silver American coins were gone.
HH Baddog1

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Broncox,

Does your detector identify Canadian coins correctly. Just curious

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Baddog1 said:
DJ you are correct, it is the Bluenose Schooner.
"It is meant to symbolize both the magnitude of the fishing industry in Canada and the maritime skills of Canadians. The Bluenose was not only a racing schooner, but also one of the great fishing vessels that helped build the reputation of the Grand Banks fishery."

I am not this smart I cheated and looked it up ::)

Nice find.
I remember growing up in Detroit we would still find the silver Canadians coins in our change
long after the silver American coins were gone.
HH Baddog1

Baddog, I was born in Detroit. I married an Irish girl and moved to ireland, where I live now. I was always interested in Great lakes shipping myself.

OP
OP
B

Broncox Vernon BC

Free2Dtect said:
What is the name of the ship? No looking it up! Nice find!
Yes I believe it's the Bluenose
Broncox

OP
OP
B

Broncox Vernon BC

ecdonovan said:
Broncox,

Does your detector identify Canadian coins correctly. Just curious
Sometimes it ID's correctly Ed, but with the difference in the composition of the American and Canadian coins.....it tends to be a little off.
Nickels usually always register correct, zinc pennies tent to sound off as dimes, older pennies sometimes read correct or between penny and dime,quarters are "bouncy" around the 25cent mark and toonies and loonies(Canadian 1 and 2 Dollar coins) tend to also bounce around 25 cents and higher but seem to have a really loud signal....almost like BIG junk!
Hope that helped, I havent dug enough quarters,loons and toons to know exactly what they are just by listening and looking at the display.so its always a surprise!
HH
Broncox

OP
OP
B

Broncox Vernon BC

DJ_Quinn said:
I've tried tha picnic tables at some parks, and gotten mostly bottle caps.

It was in one of these areas last week that I veared off the trail and dug a bag with 63 old Irish pounds and half pounds. Keep digging!
Happy hunting!
Great find!, what does that convert to in Canadian money?
I found once I switched to coin mode, the junk seemed to disappear, but I probably will remove some more junk to find the deeper older stuff below, This park has history that dates back over 100 years....but it's really been hit hard, I was consistently finding the older items 12 years ago with my old Tesoro
HH
Broncox

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Broncox - What year did they quit making silver coins in Canada? '64 was the last year in the US.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Congrats on your first silver,,,WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

F

Floater

Silver Is Great. Plus, Just think, we all got our history in too. I would have never known and never cared to learn that, but then you come here and the fun just begins. What a great hobby/sport. Nice finds Broncox, HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread