Found my first silver dollar today...Carolina Tom wept real tears!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ventured down to Charlotte today for a hunt with Carolina Tom and Smittyman. It pretty much started raining when we started detecting, and stopped raining when we quit for the day. We hunted two sites that Smittyman had found. One he had hunted and found a merc and "1600s" buckle. Today not much to speak of was found. The second site was a large tract that at one time had a house on it. Smittyman had never hunted it because it was overgrown with grass and weeds. It wasn't perfect today but we could hunt quite a few areas. About an hour in I got my first good target. Normally I wouldn't have dug it (97 on the Deus) because you don't actually find silver dollars. But from the very first pass of my coil and every pass after that I got only 97s.....nothing higher or lower. Also, when I lifted my coil the signal disappeared after only lifting about 2" so I was hoping it wasn't a can. Long story short, after hacking through some roots I found the Morgan had sunk through the rich soil and come to rest face down in the wet clay layer. That's how it is here in NC where there is a lot of clay. It acts like bedrock when looking for gold.

Can't begin to describe the excitement when I saw it. And to have found it with two friends.....special! It's a feeling I sincerely hope that everyone on here who hasn't found one gets to experience. Enjoy the photos and good luck hunting. I almost forgot........Tom didn't really cry real tears and was very happy for me.

morgan.jpg
morgan front.jpg
morgan back.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 69

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the phone call from Tom, he was crying at first had to calm him down to find out about your great find. Glad to see you posted it and heard you were holding your head very high.

Congrats!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is so cool to see you find that incredibly beautiful silver dollar Jay! You are always so supportive and thoughtful with your replies on others posts and now it's our turn to repay the kindness. You just found something that I have never ever found. No half dollars and no silver dollars for this northeast bum lol. So a hearty congratulations to you my friend. I am so happy for you and hope you are able to experience that euphoria lots more times in the future. Be well my friend, Abe

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Beez. Morgans are my favorite coin. I can't even imagine finding one of those.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Morgan- I'm still looking for my first silver dollar of any kind after 24 years. Awesome find!

-- Jeff --

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Jay!!!!!! I never found a silver dollar, Let alone a Morgan...You deserve a bunch more..that feeling you get when you pull out something special stays with you for awhile...Here is to many more great finds...
George

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find beez, the only morgan I ever found was at a coin show..........for 30 bucks.........yeah

Jealous guy here!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tears of joy or tears for being wupt. lol.

Well, your listing title made it sound as if everyone finds silver dollars. Congratulations. Awesome that it is a pre-1900 Morgan.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Morgan, I've seen the dollars being dug, still in the hole but never under my coil.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now THATS a terrific silver find. I still have yet to see a silver dollar in the hole, so I'm green with envy! :blob10:

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow man, you had a great day, whaaaaat a fiiiiiind. How deep was it and what settings do you use?

I was hunting in Deus 1 and the coin was approximately 7" deep on top of the clay layer.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an awesome coin. It sure is a beauty, and it's still on my wish list.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the phone call from Tom, he was crying at first had to calm him down to find out about your great find. Glad to see you posted it and heard you were holding your head very high.

Congrats!

Thank you very much. It's not that I was holding my head all that high, just someone's head was hung a little low.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is so cool to see you find that incredibly beautiful silver dollar Jay! You are always so supportive and thoughtful with your replies on others posts and now it's our turn to repay the kindness. You just found something that I have never ever found. No half dollars and no silver dollars for this northeast bum lol. So a hearty congratulations to you my friend. I am so happy for you and hope you are able to experience that euphoria lots more times in the future. Be well my friend, Abe

Thanks Abe. Where I live it is on a par with your pine tree coin. It was very exciting to find.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done Jay!!!!!! I never found a silver dollar, Let alone a Morgan...You deserve a bunch more..that feeling you get when you pull out something special stays with you for awhile...Here is to many more great finds...
George

Thanks George. My wish list just gone one find smaller after today. Just about every time I read your posts on here I think to myself.........yep, that's on my list, and that, and that, and that!!!! This definitely gave me a rush that will last for a good long while.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding Jay!! Looks like she's in great condition as well. That's one coin that has eluded my coil. Maybe one day .....

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well look at you making all of the veterans jealous :-). Is CT gonna be ok? I'm worried about the poor fella.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread