Found my first silver dollar today...Carolina Tom wept real tears!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ventured down to Charlotte today for a hunt with Carolina Tom and Smittyman. It pretty much started raining when we started detecting, and stopped raining when we quit for the day. We hunted two sites that Smittyman had found. One he had hunted and found a merc and "1600s" buckle. Today not much to speak of was found. The second site was a large tract that at one time had a house on it. Smittyman had never hunted it because it was overgrown with grass and weeds. It wasn't perfect today but we could hunt quite a few areas. About an hour in I got my first good target. Normally I wouldn't have dug it (97 on the Deus) because you don't actually find silver dollars. But from the very first pass of my coil and every pass after that I got only 97s.....nothing higher or lower. Also, when I lifted my coil the signal disappeared after only lifting about 2" so I was hoping it wasn't a can. Long story short, after hacking through some roots I found the Morgan had sunk through the rich soil and come to rest face down in the wet clay layer. That's how it is here in NC where there is a lot of clay. It acts like bedrock when looking for gold.

Can't begin to describe the excitement when I saw it. And to have found it with two friends.....special! It's a feeling I sincerely hope that everyone on here who hasn't found one gets to experience. Enjoy the photos and good luck hunting. I almost forgot........Tom didn't really cry real tears and was very happy for me.

morgan.jpg
morgan front.jpg
morgan back.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 69
OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Beez. Morgans are my favorite coin. I can't even imagine finding one of those.

Thanks a lot OD. My biggest fear is how many aluminum cans I'm going to dig for awhile thinking/hoping it's another one.

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! I'm still working on a first silver, but I hope to get a silver dollar at some point in the future as well

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a major score for any detectorist ! Ok- it's not a pine tree or oak tree shilling , but most will never find a silver dollar !!!
Welcome to the Silver Dollar club !

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the Morgan. She's a beauty. RJ

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome silver dollar beez! I have only found one clad in 35 years. That has to be an unbelievable feeling flipping that plug. Congrats!

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well look at you making all of the veterans jealous :-). Is CT gonna be ok? I'm worried about the poor fella.

Yes Abe, the big guy will be just fine. Next time he finds a silver coin he'll be on top of the world.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME! Welcome to the silver dollar club!

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome find! looking forward to finding the same myself one day..

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding Jay!! Looks like she's in great condition as well. That's one coin that has eluded my coil. Maybe one day .....

Thanks Bill. I would gladly trade my Morgan for a colonial silver!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just imagine the day you find a big seated silver dollar. A Morgan is great - but a seated will probably make you faint the second you see it. :D

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay, just be careful carrying that around with you, I know what its like finding a silver dollar. I found a Peace Dollar and could not stop looking at it. It was in my glove box in my car for a month. I think I had to keep looking at it to believe it was real. I finally put it away with the rest of its little sisters. I hope to one day find a Morgan with my detector, my mother gave me my grandfathers Morgan that he used as a key chain. It was in a key fob coin holder. It is very dear to me as a sentimental gift, but to dig one would be so cool. I know I have been back to the spot where I found my Peace Dollar three times only to find clad and trash, you should go back to that site with a lawn mower. Maybe Tom and Smittyman would help you. I hear Carolina Tom is a very tough fellow and very handy with lawn equipment. Kindof like a lumberjack, he would really probably follow you as you mow that yard with his detector just to knock the clippings out of the way to make it easier for you. I heard Smittyman has a john deer and loaded it last night (why push when one can ride)

Best of luck to all you guys, one of these days we all need to get together and find more Morgans!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bee-yoo-tee-ful Morgan dollar! Congrats! :occasion16::wav::occasion16: So glad you didn't assume it was an old can and ignore that signal! :icon_thumright: Andi

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That looks really good for a "dug" coin!…. Kidding - I'm just kidding. I'm really happy to have been there when you got it. It was a pretty miserable day but completely worth it! BTW I like the way your optimism in heading this thread - Found my "FIRST" silver dollar today! Maybe someday the rest of us will be able to do the same. Congrats!!! (Since the weather is bad today I'll be sharpening the blade on the John Deere.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread