Found my first silver dollar today...Carolina Tom wept real tears!!!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ventured down to Charlotte today for a hunt with Carolina Tom and Smittyman. It pretty much started raining when we started detecting, and stopped raining when we quit for the day. We hunted two sites that Smittyman had found. One he had hunted and found a merc and "1600s" buckle. Today not much to speak of was found. The second site was a large tract that at one time had a house on it. Smittyman had never hunted it because it was overgrown with grass and weeds. It wasn't perfect today but we could hunt quite a few areas. About an hour in I got my first good target. Normally I wouldn't have dug it (97 on the Deus) because you don't actually find silver dollars. But from the very first pass of my coil and every pass after that I got only 97s.....nothing higher or lower. Also, when I lifted my coil the signal disappeared after only lifting about 2" so I was hoping it wasn't a can. Long story short, after hacking through some roots I found the Morgan had sunk through the rich soil and come to rest face down in the wet clay layer. That's how it is here in NC where there is a lot of clay. It acts like bedrock when looking for gold.

Can't begin to describe the excitement when I saw it. And to have found it with two friends.....special! It's a feeling I sincerely hope that everyone on here who hasn't found one gets to experience. Enjoy the photos and good luck hunting. I almost forgot........Tom didn't really cry real tears and was very happy for me.

morgan.jpg
morgan front.jpg
morgan back.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 69

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, on every ones wish list!

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find crongrats on the success and your excitment. Hope your luck continues.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where's Tom? I haven't seen him in 4 or 5 days.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That looks really good for a "dug" coin!…. Kidding - I'm just kidding. I'm really happy to have been there when you got it. It was a pretty miserable day but completely worth it! BTW I like the way your optimism in heading this thread - Found my "FIRST" silver dollar today! Maybe someday the rest of us will be able to do the same. Congrats!!! (Since the weather is bad today I'll be sharpening the blade on the John Deere.)

Thanks Steve! I hope both you and Tom find a silver dollar and that I am there when you do. Anytime you're with friends when you have a good find it increases the excitement and makes you just a little more proud of the find. I'm sure you know what I mean after our trip to NY where YOU dug 3 large cents and I didn't find a single one!!!

What do you think Treblehunter meant when he said Tom was good with lawn equipment? Doesn't he pay a guy to cut his lawn? LOL I don't even think he owns a lawn mower.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Morgan! Congrats!
That wasn't out of the mint long before it was dropped! Beautiful detail on that one!
Hope you find more (psssssst just don't tell Tom it may make him cry for real)!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay, I just remembered losing that Morgan back in 1971 on my return trip from Daytona. my 1970 LT-1 Corvette dropped a rear end in Charlotte so I stayed in a motel while it was repaired. I clearly remember losing the Morgan at a topless bar near where you found it. send me the coin and I will give you a nice reward. I am greener than a Christmas elf over your great find. Rich

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on an outstanding find. That is one of those coins I have never dug in 40 years of detecting. Always has been on my "bucket list".

Ronbo67

Dec 6, 2014
Readyville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very cool. Glad you found it. It's amazing what's still out there waiting to be found.

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your Morgan Dollar Jay. I hope that I find one of those someday.

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an awesome find. I got my first silver dollar about three weeks ago. 1925 Peace dollar. I know how excited you must have been.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where's Tom? I haven't seen him in 4 or 5 days.

Tom has been off work since Thursday. He doesn't have a computer so you won't hear from him till Monday when he gets back to work and has a computer.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well hopefully he has been a good boy and Santa brings him one!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN!!!! Amazing! All of us who haven't.. would LOVE to pick one of those out of the hole.. I have dug many signals that ring out like a silver dollar.. but aren't.. so you can't give up on that signal. What a great find. I Know how excited you were.. Did you just carress it out of the hole ? Savoring the time of discovery ? I recently found a Walking Liberty 50 cent coin, my first 50, and I just couldn't believe some one had lost and left some thing that huge.. but a Dollar !! Man.. Congrats on the find and thanks for sharing that here. Love it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I will make this short... as it is very distasteful... Nice find Beez. I would wish you GL, but you do not need it.

OP
OP
beez0404

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jay, I just remembered losing that Morgan back in 1971 on my return trip from Daytona. my 1970 LT-1 Corvette dropped a rear end in Charlotte so I stayed in a motel while it was repaired. I clearly remember losing the Morgan at a topless bar near where you found it. send me the coin and I will give you a nice reward. I am greener than a Christmas elf over your great find. Rich

Send me your address, Rich and I'll drop it in the mail to you ASAP.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific recovery, congrats. That is one large chunk of silver, and likely a full day's wages for the person who lost it back in the late 1800s. It is no wonder that these coins are so seldom dug--they were seldom lost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions