Found my first Standing Liberty Quarter today! 1918 Barely Seen

B

Bev

Corrected post- Thought it was dateless but you can barely see the "8" in the date! 1918 is the verdict- Very excited!

I braved the elements to the maximum today! 3 inches of snow on the ground in the deep woods for about 4 hours and I was rewarded with a belt buckle that will needs some serious attention before an ID can be made and this pretty little thing!

Still very very exciting- My very first one!!!

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,095
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,610
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,602
Upvote 0

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i still waiting for my first one also but being in canada i doubt i will find one, nice find to!

1869er

Jan 5, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Garrett Freedom 2 C.C., 1st detector was a 1970's Compass, Finished a MD Surf PI from a kit - my most recent MD.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev, that's a good find, and I've always liked that quarter design, it's beautiful... I get a little jealous with all the treasures people find on here... I've never found a standing liberty quarter. In fact the oldest coin I've ever found was only a 1918 lincoln wheat cent. However, that isn't to say I haven't found anything good.... I've found some great stuff... Maybe one day I will find me one of them too!

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
awesome bev! doesnt every body shower with there tectas. :laughing9: :laughing9: so your hubby thought you were :tard: willy

OP
OP
B

Bev

I think that "numismatically" is the word of the day!
I honestly don't think I'd sell it but it would be nice to have it slabed so my kids have an idea of what some of my coins are- otherwise who knows what they'd spend them on!
Was I in the shower with my detector, well that's top secret information!
I am always envious of the coins you all find and post- especially when somebody posts a ton of them they found in one outing! Crazy!
I like the research on coins and other artifacts as much as finding them- it's the suspense- did I find a million dollar coin?? That way they always feel like a million which justifies the fondling! :wink:

OP
OP
B

Bev

I'm not going to find anything for a little while now, we're expect 5+ inches of snow today. No complaints though we've had a mild winter so far!

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kinda new at detecting myself and I'm certainly not a big Numismatist by any means; but I do value all the silver coins that I have found (not many)...as priceless. I knew you weren't going to sell it. So, I can understand that you'd like to slab your coin. I can't believe that no one has chimed in here to give you an idea of what it would cost to do it. I know Goes4ever had a post about his 1916D dime that he had slabbed and he talked about what it cost. Some research of his posts or his website should find it. I'll look too and add what I can. By the way, I'm in Central New York State and there's too much snow and cold here now for me to detect for awhile either. +13F right now...I'm Jonesin' to go detecting... ::) :coffee2:

Bev, I found it...he said he paid $29 for the grading service and $25 for the return shipping with it fully insured for the coin value...(plus what it cost to send it to them in the 1st place) He sent it to ANACS coin grading service...hope this helps...(I learned how to spell slabbed while researching :tongue3:)

OP
OP
B

Bev

I think that amount of money is well worth the preservation of a beautiful coin! I think I'll do it and make sure there I write a story to keep with it so it can become a momento for my kids.

The snow is a downer for a dirt addict like myself! I do like a little because with the sweep of the coil I can see where I've been, see if I'm sweeping level and I can see if I've missed spots!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• WhiteCoinEdgeMounting.jpg
    WhiteCoinEdgeMounting.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 937

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bev , That is a very nice find indeed ! I've been detecting for 6 years and have never found one .
The responder just before me - made two suggestions , one i agree with , and the other i disagree
with . Do not polish this coin !, much of it's beauty comes from the intact original patina . This
is not an issue of ruining value - the coin is worth 5 or 6 bucks - but polishing will remove the
90 years of aging that give it so much character - I agree that you might want to put it in one
of those coin bezel pendant mountings .As a pendant it will not be abraded, and you will have
a very present reminder of your hunt and the find . I also like the idea a few posts back - of
getting one of those plastic holders with the black ring - to both protect and show the coin
most beautifully . Argentium.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on that silver! Do what you like with it, it's your coin, the best part will be the memory of the dig!

OP
OP
B

Bev

Oh I like that bezel idea! I didnt know they made things like that!
I rinsed it and cleaned a bit with a q-tip but that's as far as I'll go. Thanks for such nice feedback!

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. The SLQ is one of my favorite coins to find. I think it's the best designed coin made in the U.S. :hello2:

coinstar

Apr 8, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bev Nice coin,I'm happy for you "you always find the good stuff"just kidding .Were you with the guy's or by yourself? Wednsday' s looking good if you guy's want to head out somewhere. Mike D :hello2: :hello2:

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bev.

Sweet Find!!! Well done :thumbsup:

Happy hunting,

Dan

Top Member Reactions