Found my First US gold coin ever today!!!!!!

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today not expecting to find much. Then dug an 1852 $1 dollar gold coin. I'm still in shock. I can only get there during low tide(east coast). It was used for testing munitions during the war of 1812-civil war. I've found tons of militery buttons but most have lots of damage from the salt water. I've found one large cent but very poor shape. I've found over a hundred musket balls and mini bullets. I always tell myself it's not a place for finding coins. I went to the area where there's mainly musket balls. Because I cleaned it out I need to go slow and dig every null, chirp, grunt etc. etrac was on relic 2 tone. I dug a target and when I lifted my detector it chirped a bit. Swung the coil back and forth but nothing. Tried a different angle and cought it again. Dug two scoops and lost it. Dug one more scoop, moved the mud with my hand and saw the edge. Still can't believe it. It was 10"-12" inches deep.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Upvote 87

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Very Nice!!!! Tell us the story.....

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome and a huge bucket lister for me. Congrats

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been to the site numerous times. War of 1812 training site. Dug hundreds of musket balls and buttons. Threshold on the extrac nulled. I swung the coil over it but only got barely a chirp once every 6 swings. Dug then got a better signal. Dug again then nothing. I figured I pushed it deeper so dug one more time and saw a shiny edge in the pile. Dirt fell off and boom there it was. Gold coin. Must have been 10-12 inches deep.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a 1$ US gold coin at 10+” with the eTrac would be an astonishing find...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet, and congrats on the gold coin..... like a hole in one for detectorists.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, congrats! I'll bet the dirt fell off that thing like hot butter. I did when my buddy found his $5 gold coin. I even had the honor of popping the dirt off the eagle side.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa! Great job!!! 🙌🙌🙌

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!!!! I used to be very active on this site years ago and forgot my password and username plus changed my email so I set up a new account. Nice to be back. This site is awesome.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been to the site numerous times. War of 1812 training site. Dug hundreds of musket balls and buttons. Threshold on the extrac nulled. I swung the coil over it but only got barely a chirp once every 6 swings. Dug then got a better signal. Dug again then nothing. I figured I pushed it deeper so dug one more time and saw a shiny edge in the pile. Dirt fell off and boom there it was. Gold coin. Must have been 10-12 inches deep.

Did you get a VDI number? Do you remember what it was reading? Great find, congrats!!!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome!! Congrats!!!!

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent find big congratulations I'm still waiting for mine amazing! [emoji106]

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hell ya, holy moly. That's a once in a lifetime find. Congratulations! We only dream of things like that out here :)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an incredible find! Congrats. I cant believe how small those are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread