Found my First US gold coin ever today!!!!!!

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today not expecting to find much. Then dug an 1852 $1 dollar gold coin. I'm still in shock. I can only get there during low tide(east coast). It was used for testing munitions during the war of 1812-civil war. I've found tons of militery buttons but most have lots of damage from the salt water. I've found one large cent but very poor shape. I've found over a hundred musket balls and mini bullets. I always tell myself it's not a place for finding coins. I went to the area where there's mainly musket balls. Because I cleaned it out I need to go slow and dig every null, chirp, grunt etc. etrac was on relic 2 tone. I dug a target and when I lifted my detector it chirped a bit. Swung the coil back and forth but nothing. Tried a different angle and cought it again. Dug two scoops and lost it. Dug one more scoop, moved the mud with my hand and saw the edge. Still can't believe it. It was 10"-12" inches deep.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Upvote 87

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thrilla. I had thousands of post under my belt but couldn't recover my original account ��

Same thing happened to me on eBay years ago...a positive seller rating of over 600 as a private seller and it got muffed up by a “glitch” on their end. I cannot TELL you how happy I was.
What you found is what I’m hoping to find this season...something hard to detect in the first place that might be hiding at some old sites. Lots of silver pickers out there that likely passed by any low conductors like that because it’s likely Trash. But when in an old site...well,you know. One of the 5 best and rare finds I’ve seen yet from the States(that I’m interested in!)
This should be an eye opener to those who believe FBS is a slouch on gold. A target that deep and that small would be a challenge for ANY machine I’ve ever heard of.
Congrats on one helluva find!

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the awesome comments :icon_thumleft:

DetectorMoe

Apr 4, 2013
SouthEast North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, That's a great coin,. Hope some day I'll find my first. Nice dig!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back and congrats on that dream find.:occasion14: I recon I need to dig more mid-tones.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome!! Lifetime find IMHO- my banner vote is in- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome!! Lifetime find IMHO- my banner vote is in- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --
Does anybody here happen to use tapatalk to browse these forums? If so how do you vote for banner? I don't see the option anywhere thanks

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words. I just woke up thinking did I find a gold coin yesterday? I'm going to go look at it again. I live on the east coast and most of my friends have found tree coins but non have found a gold coin. I'm realizing It's extremely rare to find a gold coin in mass. I think your odds of finding a tree coin are better.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the gold coin.
I'd vote Banner but it being your first post I doubt it will happen, but who knows.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible recovery. Hat's off and a banner vote!

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!!!!!!
I edited my original post but couldn't figure out how to add an image. Does anyone know if and how to edit images?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find, congratulations! :occasion14:

Do not rub that beauty!

Banner all the way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions