Found my First US gold coin ever today!!!!!!

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today not expecting to find much. Then dug an 1852 $1 dollar gold coin. I'm still in shock. I can only get there during low tide(east coast). It was used for testing munitions during the war of 1812-civil war. I've found tons of militery buttons but most have lots of damage from the salt water. I've found one large cent but very poor shape. I've found over a hundred musket balls and mini bullets. I always tell myself it's not a place for finding coins. I went to the area where there's mainly musket balls. Because I cleaned it out I need to go slow and dig every null, chirp, grunt etc. etrac was on relic 2 tone. I dug a target and when I lifted my detector it chirped a bit. Swung the coil back and forth but nothing. Tried a different angle and cought it again. Dug two scoops and lost it. Dug one more scoop, moved the mud with my hand and saw the edge. Still can't believe it. It was 10"-12" inches deep.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Upvote 87

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW...WOW...Congratulations on a sweet coin

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah that is just an amazing recovery! I'll just admit it now. Jealousy here.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... not only your first gold coin... but you found a good one.

I would just like to say...

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT... do not scrath OR clean in ANY way.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1861 and 1862, for example, large numbers of Type 1 gold dollars hit the melting pot for recoinage. Side-by-side circulation of these smaller dollar coins with the later, larger ones had been causing confusion, so Mint Director James Ross Snowden had ordered that the smaller coins be set aside and held at the New York Sub-treasury. The accumulation totaled some eight million pieces before recoinage.

Only twice, in 1856 and 1862, did production exceed a million pieces in a single year—both times at the main mint in Philadelphia. In the early years, the Charlotte and Dahlonega mints turned out gold dollars on a regular basis, but those southern branches were closed in 1861, following the outbreak of the Civil War—and after that the coins were struck almost exclusively in Philadelphia, the only exception being the San Francisco issue of 1870.

After 1862, mintages seldom topped 10,000. The low point came in 1875, when just 400 business strikes and 20 proofs were made. Other rarities are the 1856-D, with a mintage of 1,460, and the 1860-D, with 1,566. The Confederacy struck an unknown amount of 1861-D gold dollars; reportedly, only a handful survive.

robmenn

Nov 3, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, amazing! Congrats! Did you do the gold dance?.....Now just beware of the curse of the gold.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply rinse with HOT water... no rubbing... no cloth... just shake and lay on something like a towel... flip every half hour and lay in new spot on towel... again... do not rub.

After thoroughly dry put in padded something... at least if nothing better exists.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet I'm going to post mine here soon just gotta find it first

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back hang around this time Tommy

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone!!!! I used to be very active on this site years ago and forgot my password and username plus changed my email so I set up a new account. Nice to be back. This site is awesome.

Is this the "original" Garabaldi ?

Sweet coin!

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes thrilla. I had thousands of post under my belt but couldn't recover my original account ��

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1861 and 1862, for example, large numbers of Type 1 gold dollars hit the melting pot for recoinage. Side-by-side circulation of these smaller dollar coins with the later, larger ones had been causing confusion, so Mint Director James Ross Snowden had ordered that the smaller coins be set aside and held at the New York Sub-treasury. The accumulation totaled some eight million pieces before recoinage.

Only twice, in 1856 and 1862, did production exceed a million pieces in a single year—both times at the main mint in Philadelphia. In the early years, the Charlotte and Dahlonega mints turned out gold dollars on a regular basis, but those southern branches were closed in 1861, following the outbreak of the Civil War—and after that the coins were struck almost exclusively in Philadelphia, the only exception being the San Francisco issue of 1870.

After 1862, mintages seldom topped 10,000. The low point came in 1875, when just 400 business strikes and 20 proofs were made. Other rarities are the 1856-D, with a mintage of 1,460, and the 1860-D, with 1,566. The Confederacy struck an unknown amount of 1861-D gold dollars; reportedly, only a handful survive.

Thanks for the info Aarc

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get a VDI number? Do you remember what it was reading? Great find, congrats!!!

No Dan, at this site I set the etrac on relic and 2 tone. I dig everything so don't bother looking at the screen. I've been detecting for about 15 years and was truly lucky to find this today. I was going slow enough to catch a blip. I swung the coil over it about 6 times and nothing. Tried again and cought it. Just at the right place at the right time.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweeeeet! Such a tiny coin. All the stars must have been in alignment for a faint signal that deep. Thanks for sharing and huge congrats!

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Dan, at this site I set the etrac on relic and 2 tone. I dig everything so don't bother looking at the screen. I've been detecting for about 15 years and was truly lucky to find this today. I was going slow enough to catch a blip. I swung the coil over it about 6 times and nothing. Tried again and cought it. Just at the right place at the right time.

That's what I thought, I've hit a wheaty at 12", but, all I heard was a click every other swing using the Etrac with 13" coil. That had to be a thrilling sight to see, great job sir!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions