Found my First US gold coin ever today!!!!!!

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today not expecting to find much. Then dug an 1852 $1 dollar gold coin. I'm still in shock. I can only get there during low tide(east coast). It was used for testing munitions during the war of 1812-civil war. I've found tons of militery buttons but most have lots of damage from the salt water. I've found one large cent but very poor shape. I've found over a hundred musket balls and mini bullets. I always tell myself it's not a place for finding coins. I went to the area where there's mainly musket balls. Because I cleaned it out I need to go slow and dig every null, chirp, grunt etc. etrac was on relic 2 tone. I dug a target and when I lifted my detector it chirped a bit. Swung the coil back and forth but nothing. Tried a different angle and cought it again. Dug two scoops and lost it. Dug one more scoop, moved the mud with my hand and saw the edge. Still can't believe it. It was 10"-12" inches deep.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    953.1 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    930.1 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Upvote 87

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Dan, at this site I set the etrac on relic and 2 tone. I dig everything so don't bother looking at the screen. I've been detecting for about 15 years and was truly lucky to find this today. I was going slow enough to catch a blip. I swung the coil over it about 6 times and nothing. Tried again and cought it. Just at the right place at the right time.

Congrats on an amazing coin! Sounds like skill to me, not so much luck. To catch that blip then stick with it even after losing the signal, and hunting the right spots... skills. I'm on cape cod and only know of one US gold coin dug locally, there's always the whydah but Barry Clifford owns that and it's protected by the sea shore. I don't know anyone that's dug a tree coin but I know they have to be down here somewhere.

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a great find!!! after 35 years of detecting I'm still waiting for a gold coin....didn't realize the 1 dollar piece was so tiny!!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing coin! Sounds like skill to me, not so much luck. To catch that blip then stick with it even after losing the signal, and hunting the right spots... skills. I'm on cape cod and only know of one US gold coin dug locally, there's always the whydah but Barry Clifford owns that and it's protected by the sea shore. I don't know anyone that's dug a tree coin but I know they have to be down here somewhere.
Tree coins have been found all over New England including NJ and NY. I guarantee there's a tree coin waiting to be found in Cape Cod.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats man! Still looking for one of those!

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATULATIONS! nothing beats the feeling of seeing gold in your hole or scoop.

Beautiful coin. May it only be the beginning of others in your future.

Cheers

431A9E07-6200-4B12-84A6-A42FD23BDF73.jpeg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congratulations on getting the "holy grail" goal of all md'rs. Welcome to the gold coin club.

OP
OP
Garabaldi3

Garabaldi3

Feb 10, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you ����

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want one. Please....
Congrats! [emoji2][emoji106]

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing story..... beautiful gold coin! Congratulations!!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Great job and a $1 at that, not an easy coin to detect. Welcome to the club :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread