Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever since buying our winter home in Southern Nevada I've been fascinated with Hoover Dam. If you've never been, the dam tour is incredible!
Anyways, I've read several books about it, and being a md'ing addict I thought of what would be the ultimate dam-related find. Boulder City was fenced off and gated with armed guards during dam construction and workers were issued badges to allow them to come and go to Vegas and elsewhere. The badges were carefully accounted for by the government and the contractor (Six Companies Inc.).

Long story short, I figured it would be next to impossible to ever find one, but made it my lofty goal. My wife's uncle lives in Boulder City and knows a great many people. He secured me a permission to hunt a very tiny yard in one of the first houses built for workers. I searched that yard for hours listening for the tiniest blip. Pulling a handful of clad and modern junk it didn't seem like I was going to get any of the old coins I was expecting.

Then I got this barely repeating signal that was high one way, but low at 90 degrees. A nail, right? Well, I dug that nail signal and low and behold, at about 12 inches down...
Holy moley, I could hardly believe my eyes!
Hoover Badge front.jpeg

Hoover Badge.jpeg

The pin is broken off at both ends and the back was really crusted over (I know, I know, shouldn't have cleaned it so aggressively, but it's mine and I'm not selling!) but it is perfect in my mind.

I guess you gotta dream big. I'm thinking my new white whale is gonna be a $20 gold piece! :tongue3:

Upvote 61

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
Ever since buying our winter home in Southern Nevada I've been fascinated with Hoover Dam. If you've never been, the dam tour is incredible!
Anyways, I've read several books about it, and being a md'ing addict I thought of what would be the ultimate dam-related find. Boulder City was fenced off and gated with armed guards during dam construction and workers were issued badges to allow them to come and go to Vegas and elsewhere. The badges were carefully accounted for by the government and the contractor (Six Companies Inc.).

Long story short, I figured it would be next to impossible to ever find one, but made it my lofty goal. My wife's uncle lives in Boulder City and knows a great many people. He secured me a permission to hunt a very tiny yard in one of the first houses built for workers. I searched that yard for hours listening for the tiniest blip. Pulling a handful of clad and modern junk it didn't seem like I was going to get any of the old coins I was expecting.

Then I got this barely repeating signal that was high one way, but low at 90 degrees. A nail, right? Well, I dug that nail signal and low and behold, at about 12 inches down...
View attachment 2077564
View attachment 2077565

The pin is broken off at both ends and the back was really crusted over (I know, I know, shouldn't have cleaned it so aggressively, but it's mine and I'm not selling!) but it is perfect in my mind.

I guess you gotta dream big. I'm thinking my new white whale is gonna be a $20 gold piece! :tongue3:
That’s absolutely incredible!
I’m happy for ya!

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022

View attachment 2077564
View attachment 2077565

Yours is also quit a low number tag.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what the purpose is of that hole in the badge?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on you finding your white whale. Truly a piece of history saved once again.

hampton detector

Feb 15, 2023

View attachment 2077564
View attachment 2077565

That’s Awsome! Great find

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding an interesting piece of 20th Century American history :occasion14:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! It looks perfect to me too!
Congratulations :occasion14:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what the purpose is of that hole in the badge?
I would think it would be like a chit for using tools, once that employee got a tool for use on the worksite he gave the tool shop his badge/chit and got it back when he turned in the tool at the end of his shift. Just a thought of how it could have worked.

Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2077564
View attachment 2077565

Congrats! Definitely a very cool find 🏴‍☠️

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions