Found old weathered shotgun.

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out MD'ing a new spot this afternoon and was scanning the area ahead of me when something caught my attention against a tree. A quickly determined that what I was looking at was a gun. My first thought was to look around for who left it. As I approached it I realized it had been there for some time.
This is where a home once stood but I'm not sure of the time period yet.
Anybody out there a gun expert?
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-3681814487.jpg
    image-3681814487.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 363
  • image-2174844283.jpg
    image-2174844283.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 440
  • image-2013540462.jpg
    image-2013540462.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 329
  • image-62270517.jpg
    image-62270517.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 355
Upvote 6

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
When you mentioned the stock was new & held on with tape, I had to look again.

Great find.. I bet someone is kicking themselves for losing it.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah nice find............... makes you wonder

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be bringing that back to life...wouldn't take much to get it shooting again! Nice find!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I would be bringing that back to life...wouldn't take much to get it shooting again! Nice find!

I agree! I would put some time into restoring that one. Maybe display it over your mantle!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool LSU! Just my 2 cents, but I would be shocked if that gun has been sitting for more than 12 months. Especially in your warm and humid state! I've seen guns left in a basement with no gun oil, left sitting for 6 months that looked almost that bad. I think that's a recent loss. Within the last 12 months. 24 at the longest, just my opinion.
i agree with parsonwalker. That gun hasn't been there for very long. The only way the police can trace the serial number is if that serial number was reported as stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool LSU! Just my 2 cents, but I would be shocked if that gun has been sitting for more than 12 months. Especially in your warm and humid state! I've seen guns left in a basement with no gun oil, left sitting for 6 months that looked almost that bad. I think that's a recent loss. Within the last 12 months. 24 at the longest, just my opinion.
I'd have to agree almost, I bet it has only been there a matter of days. JMO maybe a month.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H&R made that model from 1962 to 1981. it was known originally as the model 158. in 1974 it was changed to model 58, so your gun was made between 74 and 81. I had one when I was teenager and broke the butt stock firing some 3" magnums through it. Maybe that's what happened to yours. I agree with parsonwalker and treblehunter, that gun wasn't out there very long. That's one of those finds where you say, d*** look at that, what the h***? and just hope it wasn't used in a crime,stolen or both. Anyways, just to be safe, I'd notify local law enforcement! Cool find man, Congrats!

tj.cama

Jan 2, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You find that a lot in my area. Trespassers enter land illegally, shoot a buck, chuck the gun and come back at night for the deer. My two cents (having over 5 years experience in LE) contact your local PD. In my state you would be arrested for illegal possession of a firearm if its not registered to you or a direct family member.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those guns in the 70's sold for about 60.00 bucks. I like tj cama's theory, I think it to be a throw away, question is, what was the crime? Things are very hard to find in the dark in the woods. It is extremely difficult to be at a spot during the day in the woods then go back at night and find that same spot in the dark. Somebody might be back looking for that gun. I'd be real careful in that area. Years ago I came across a pot grow in the woods, whoever had the grow had a triple beam scale and a 45 hid there also. I never went back to that area deer hunting ever again.

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Harrington-Richardson Md. 58......very sturdy, and inexpensive single shot shotgun, Also came with interchangeable rifle blls. in 30-30, or ,22 hornet in some models. Not manufactured any more, although the company is still in business and makes a similar firearm they now call "The Handy Rifle"......When new sold for 60-70 $, new one now in the 120+ range....Nice find.

I have one in 12 Ga. and love the weight until I shoot a heavy load out of it.

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks parsonwalker. I'm thinking it was left less than a year as well.

OP
OP
Crawdigger

Crawdigger

Mar 4, 2013
SE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H&R made that model from 1962 to 1981. it was known originally as the model 158. in 1974 it was changed to model 58, so your gun was made between 74 and 81. I had one when I was teenager and broke the butt stock firing some 3" magnums through it. Maybe that's what happened to yours. I agree with parsonwalker and treblehunter, that gun wasn't out there very long. That's one of those finds where you say, d*** look at that, what the h***? and just hope it wasn't used in a crime,stolen or both. Anyways, just to be safe, I'd notify local law enforcement! Cool find man, Congrats!
Thanks for the info mr. b! Good to know!

Bumpa66

Feb 4, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I have a friend that had finished hunting once, left his gun leaning against the tree, and drove off. Luckily, he went back and the gun was still there once he realized he left it there. Apparently, this person wasn't so lucky. I have another friend who restores old guns like that for me. He makes them almost look brand new. Nice find.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You find that a lot in my area. Trespassers enter land illegally, shoot a buck, chuck the gun and come back at night for the deer. My two cents (having over 5 years experience in LE) contact your local PD. In my state you would be arrested for illegal possession of a firearm if its not registered to you or a direct family member.

Your state is one of the very few in the country if not the only one where people need to actually register shotguns and rifles. Some may require a Firearms Identification Card, but individual long arms are not registered by serial number or any other means of identification.

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well - I guess in a "commie" state at least you would get your gun back - why bother putting serial numbers on...

The idiot shouldn't have left it leaning against the tree to begin with. If they are lacking attention to detail enough not to realize they are missing something such as a gun, they probably shouldn't be in possession of one in the first place. Serial numbers are more geared for rifled barrels so in the event of a crime, forensics may be able to tie the weapon to the crime, that's basically it IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread