๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Howdy All,

It's been a while since I've posted finds, but that's mainly because the harvest here in Old Kentucky is stalled! It has been Wet and Cold here, and it has really thrown a crimp into my detecting plans. There are still crops in most of the fields!

But... my good friend Coinmaster2db called and said he had a newer spot in a cut soybean field near his house. I drove up there knowing that the site only dated from the early 1900s and was filled with aluminum and trash. He dug a nice Mercury dime and a war nickel there the day before, but I figured that newer diggins were better than no diggins...

We got out on the site, and after 10 or so mason jar lids, I started to wonder if there were any other sites on the 200 acres or so that he had permission to hunt. So I decided to wander off and strategically search for more iron patches. :)

First I went uphill, then down several "fingers" of land that sloped gradually downward to the drainage channels on the farm. On the way down one of these, he and I both got some faint and sparse iron blips. We didn't know exactly where the center of the spot was, and the iron was quite faint, but we focused on the area for a bit. Then just as I saw Coinmaster2db stoop to dig, I got a faint but repeatable signal and popped out a tiny ball button. When I stood up, he had a tombac button in his hand. :hello2: We'd found an old site.

We dug close to 25 buttons out of the site during the afternoon, plus a good many musketballs, a thimble, and an item I've always wanted to find--a 1700s Era Jew's Harp. :headbang: I have only seen one of these dug--and it was at a mid-1700s site of mine in Virginia (dug by a friend who was visiting for some detecting one summer).

Our sites here usually only have harmonica reeds. They are for the most part too young for a chance at a Jew's Harp (the use of which seemed to wane considerably after 1800). We might find a single pewter button or a single tombac, but never multiple tombac buttons here. Out of 150 sites in the last few years, we have found less than half a dozen tombac buttons. And we got three tombacs in an afternoon at this site. :icon_sunny: So unlike the norm, this one is an early one.

I think there's still a chance for some Spanish Silver or an early copper there. Time will tell, and we will be back.

My camera wasn't even charged and ready for some great photos, but here is my portion of the finds. I don't think this is a bad haul for a few hours:

Finds 016-1.jpg

Finds 013-1.jpg

When I got home, I made some Chicken Parmesan. ;D

Finds 004-1.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
C

Cappy Z.

Re: Found Something that I've Wanted to Find for 17 Years

Now that is one wonderful find!!!!!!!!!

The Chicken Parmesan....

:wink:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cappy Z. said:
Now that is one wonderful find!!!!!!!!!

The Chicken Parmesan....

:wink:

Darn Tootin'!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

Great finds BB :headbang: glad you got the Harp after all this time 8) but you are going to have to do a lot more digging know :P

to work of that Parmesan :D

SS

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great stuff buck,love the story too. :thumbsup: I just got done eating so that chicken not doing it for me right now. :laughing9: Yes it does look like you all have found one of the older sites.And hope you do disscover silver maybe copper too chances are good I'd say with those relics to go by. :headbang: :hello2: :hello: :thumbsup:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome Finds Will. I Love Buttons and those are some goodins and big Congrat's on the Jews harp. It's Great that you put your Experience in Hunt Mode and Brought out the Best :notworthy:.

Nova Treasure

MeanGene

Jul 3, 2009
Easthampton, MA

There is a growing trend of people posting pictures of they're dinner for the night after a long days hunt! Too funny...

Chicken Parm is my favorite comfort food!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Man, that was low Buckles. I was sitting here for five minutes trying to see which one of those buttons said 'Jackson for President' on it before I scrolled down! (good looking chow, but I like the finds better! The china's nice too. Way to go.)

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Noticing the "warranted" button....is that orange?....

garthbfan169

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Chester County, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The finds are awesome, BUT speaking from a portly man's point of view I would take the Chicken Parm any day!! :laughing7: :laughing7: :headbang:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

That a boy Buck. I'm glad to see this post. I was right there with you as you got the iron patch signals and began to dig the good readings. Good story :thumbsup: The jews harp is killer. I love such a personal relic. Can't you just picture the strange looking fellow twanging away on his trusty instrument and annoying his fellow travelers. Or maybe he was good enough with it that someone grabbed a jug and began to blow a beat right along with him :headbang: As for it being only the second one you've seen posted... you forget the one I found earlier this year. Here's the pic and congratulations. I would rather find the jews harp than find 3 coppers. Chris
PIC00007-9.jpg

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It is about time you got in the fields again. :P :laughing9: Considering you dug many tombacs, there should be a King George at the site. On our last site, we dug close to 15 tombacs out of the 22 or so buttons from the field. They sure are fun to dig! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
That a boy Buck. I'm glad to see this post. I was right there with you as you got the iron patch signals and began to dig the good readings. Good story :thumbsup: The jews harp is killer. I love such a personal relic. Can't you just picture the strange looking fellow twanging away on his trusty instrument and annoying his fellow travelers. Or maybe he was good enough with it that someone grabbed a jug and began to blow a beat right along with him :headbang: As for it being only the second one you've seen posted... you forget the one I found earlier this year. Here's the pic and congratulations. I would rather find the jews harp than find 3 coppers. Chris

It was the second one I'd personally seen dug. I've seen a good many posted here by Iron Patch, yourself, and others. :wink:

And you're right, I'd take a jew's harp over a couple coppers anyday. I have found a good many coppers, but up to now no jew's harp.

Thanks for the reply, my friend.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thrillathahunt said:
Stouffer's? ;D

Homemade. :thumbsup:

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x

Congrats on your harp BB! I Learned something once again. I would've had to post it on the What is it forum. How do you do it? spend hours in the field detecting. Then clean all of your buttons and to finish the day off, whoop up a little chicken parmesan. Amazing :notworthy:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sniffy said:
Noticing the "warranted" button....is that orange?....

If I'm not mistaken, most buttons marked "Warranted" are in fact British buttons in the 1780-1820 date range. I am not familiar with any American backmarks that use the term "Warranted."

I was pleased that the tiny silvered one retains the original gilding.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

drgest said:
Congrats on your harp BB! I Learned something once again. I would've had to post it on the What is it forum. How do you do it? spend hours in the field detecting. Then clean all of your buttons and to finish the day off, whoop up a little chicken parmesan. Amazing :notworthy:

I don't post until I have ID'ed and cleaned. Otherwise it is either a guessing game on a good find, a tease to folks waiting for cleaned-up photos. I like to have it all figured out and ID'ed beforehand. Fortunately, that leaves some time for cooking and some cold beer in between. :)

Regards,

Buckles

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very interesting and given how few early items turn up in your area you must feel like that's a time capsule you have just discovered. Even though they are common finds here, and very common in the UK, I can appreciate your appreciation for them. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Very interesting and given how few early items turn up in your area you must feel like that's a time capsule you have just discovered. Even though they are common finds here, and very common in the UK, I can appreciate your appreciation for them. :thumbsup:

Good to hear from you, Iron Patch.

Most of the sites I am able to dig here fall in the 1830-1860 date range.

Don't get me wrong, CW items are great to find--but I have an itch for the earlier finds. :)

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions