Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

With all the ice and snow here, I just wanted to share the "find" that I made after having the following item in my junk box for a good while. When I dug up the item, I saw that it had some lettering on it, but I couldn't make any sense of it. It's kinda like when you find a button that you can't see much but an "NGE" on it and you know that it will say "Rich Orange Gilt" because of having found examples before. You have a vocabulary of button backmarks in your head, and then it's not hard to fit the letters in with one idea or another... But in the case of this little Daisy-Shaped item, I had no such experience. I was up the creek. I thought that it might be a fancy schmancy wick turner knob from an oil lantern, since that was the only thing that I'd seen that was even close to the right size and shape.

Well, I finally found it. I work hard to help with ID's here--and some relics posted in "What is It?" give folks the fits, and I just can't get 'em out of my head until we know what they are. It's kinda hard to explain. :-\

So here is the relic I found, after cleaning:

L 001.jpg

L 002.jpg

And here is a non-dug example I found today. It is a "Boyd's Battery," a Quack medical device that was sold to "purify the blood." The different metals arranged around the central piece that I found were made of copper, gilded brass, and "german silver." It created a very slight electrical current and was to be worn around the neck as a pendant. The belief that electricity could cure you was a common one, and it is called "Galvanism." Heck, dead muscles even move when you send that Magical Electricity through them. (Think Mary Shelley's Frankenstein here...) It seems that everytime humankind invents or discovers something new, they think it has the power to cure. :D And in most cases, they're only partially correct. :wink: Electrical Current....Batteries...Radioactivity...

boyds-batter.jpg

boyds-battery.jpg

http://www.phisick.com/a8qbb1.htm

So have faith if you can't ID an item at first. Odds are in favor of seeing another one eventually. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Nice buckleboy, You can see in the second picture some lettering on it. Great ID. I wonder if the person that lost it is alive or dead? ???

How long did it take you to ID it?

Chris

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seger98 said:
Nice buckleboy, You can see in the second picture some lettering on it. Great ID. I wonder if the person that lost it is alive or dead? ???

How long did it take you to ID it?

Chris

The person that lost it is long six feet under. I figure they likely died about 1920--and their house site is now a cornfield.

It took me Four Months to run across a photo of the item and ID it.

-Buckles

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
So have faith if you can't ID an item at first. Odds are in favor of seeing another one eventually. :thumbsup:

I sure hope you're right. ;D

Attachments

• it1.jpg
    it1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,492
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy said:
BuckleBoy said:
I sure hope you're right.

Yep. All we need is for the SECOND, Alaskan Wonder 15-Counter Thingy to be found, and we'll have more information. :thumbsup:

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey BB, glad to see that you were able to put a name to this find, just another piece to a detecting history puzzle that has been put in place.

Great Job, NT

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Hey BuckleBoy...Great research. I want to know one thing. How the heck did you find it with what you had to
work with? Not much to go on with that one but a shape. Nice work. :thumbsup:
Randy

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB, I have seen those posted before, not sure where, but, I found one about 6 years ago and it was not too hard to ID then, but seems like only the center is ever found, that is all I found also.

Don

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Neat find. Maybe it will cure the cold weather. ;D Are you frozen in?
Dman

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Find BB. Dman and I could have used a couple of those about 4pm today. We're out of shape due to the crummy weather. HH.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB why did you not show me this? I collect those and have 3 or 4 of them in my display case with a book on my bookshelf about the man who invented this device! Very interesting man. I think the book says he died in 1932 leaving a wife and 5 children behind. 2 boys and 3 girls. Dude why didn't you show me?

KFB

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kdismuke1 said:
INTERESTING.HOPE YOU FIND OUT WHAT IT IS.

:tard:

Start at the beginning and read slower. :wink:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Hey BuckleBoy...Great research. I want to know one thing. How the heck did you find it with what you had to
work with? Not much to go on with that one but a shape. Nice work. :thumbsup:
Randy

I look through lots of websites of old things to help others ID items. I was going through a medical website playing on a hunch (which ended up not playing out by the way :P ) and saw this. And then I thought--I've seen this before...

Don in SJ said:
BB, I have seen those posted before, not sure where, but, I found one about 6 years ago and it was not too hard to ID then, but seems like only the center is ever found, that is all I found also.

Don

Don, this one had me stumped, with only the "YD" of "BOYD" visible on the item. If more had been visible, then it would've been a piece of cake to google it--and this one would've been ID'ed right after digging it up. I wonder why these never survive intact. Do you think folks broke them apart to use as gaming counters or thinking that the plated brass was in fact silver?

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy, that has to be one of the dandiest ID's I've seen on TNet ;D Well Done Sir :thumbsup:

As far as finding only the central piece, the whole device might have been, in a way 'self-destructive' due to the galvanic effect and probably more likely so in moist conditions.

Mike

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOL1266-X said:
Nice Find BB. Dman and I could have used a couple of those about 4pm today. We're out of shape due to the crummy weather. HH.

Yeah--maybe this device will bring on the Thaw. I keep hoping. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions