Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

With all the ice and snow here, I just wanted to share the "find" that I made after having the following item in my junk box for a good while. When I dug up the item, I saw that it had some lettering on it, but I couldn't make any sense of it. It's kinda like when you find a button that you can't see much but an "NGE" on it and you know that it will say "Rich Orange Gilt" because of having found examples before. You have a vocabulary of button backmarks in your head, and then it's not hard to fit the letters in with one idea or another... But in the case of this little Daisy-Shaped item, I had no such experience. I was up the creek. I thought that it might be a fancy schmancy wick turner knob from an oil lantern, since that was the only thing that I'd seen that was even close to the right size and shape.

Well, I finally found it. I work hard to help with ID's here--and some relics posted in "What is It?" give folks the fits, and I just can't get 'em out of my head until we know what they are. It's kinda hard to explain. :-\

So here is the relic I found, after cleaning:

L 001.jpg

L 002.jpg

And here is a non-dug example I found today. It is a "Boyd's Battery," a Quack medical device that was sold to "purify the blood." The different metals arranged around the central piece that I found were made of copper, gilded brass, and "german silver." It created a very slight electrical current and was to be worn around the neck as a pendant. The belief that electricity could cure you was a common one, and it is called "Galvanism." Heck, dead muscles even move when you send that Magical Electricity through them. (Think Mary Shelley's Frankenstein here...) It seems that everytime humankind invents or discovers something new, they think it has the power to cure. :D And in most cases, they're only partially correct. :wink: Electrical Current....Batteries...Radioactivity...

boyds-batter.jpg

boyds-battery.jpg

http://www.phisick.com/a8qbb1.htm

So have faith if you can't ID an item at first. Odds are in favor of seeing another one eventually. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is the best IDing I've seen...amazing.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
BB why did you not show me this? I collect those and have 3 or 4 of them in my display case with a book on my bookshelf about the man who invented this device! Very interesting man. I think the book says he died in 1932 leaving a wife and 5 children behind. 2 boys and 3 girls. Dude why didn't you show me?

KFB

Wow KFB, I didn't know you collected these. Why haven't you shown me your collection? So sorry about his wife and orphans. Why didn't you show me your collection of these items? Why? :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Great job on the ID BB. Way to be persistant.ย  :thumbsup:
That's a pretty cool piece actually.
-MM-

Ya, I was thinking it was pretty neat after I figured out what it was.ย  I've decided that digging a quack medical device is harder than digging a CW buckle.ย 

:icon_jokercolor:

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
kindafoundabuckle said:
BB why did you not show me this? I collect those and have 3 or 4 of them in my display case with a book on my bookshelf about the man who invented this device! Very interesting man. I think the book says he died in 1932 leaving a wife and 5 children behind. 2 boys and 3 girls. Dude why didn't you show me?

KFB

Wow KFB, I didn't know you collected these. Why haven't you shown me your collection? So sorry about his wife and orphans. Why didn't you show me your collection of these items? Why? :D

Why did I not tell? I thought I was the only one who did not have a life.

KFB

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
BuckleBoy, I must have missed that whatsit somehow. I found one behind my Dad's about 15 years ago, and shortly, (or maybe not), thereafter it was I.D.'ed in Ask Mark Parker's pages in W&ET. Mine was still together, and not too worse for wear. Great detective work! Great find!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
was in cape yesterday, you got more ice than we did, but being mostly gravel roads here in the sticks, the plows didn't get to us till a few days ago. am wanting to get out & play in the dirt, but alas too frizzed! perfect time for research. good id have fun waiting for the mud.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Great research BB! I am storing that one in the memory bank.

I have spent WAY too much time on this one, don't think I'll ever find a match. I'm sure I'm looking at it the wrong way. House, carriage, brass car era, medical, electrical, railroad, appliance, barns, naval, musical, telegraph, furniture, wagons, makers marks, :icon_study:

Attachments

• BRASS LATCH.jpg
    BRASS LATCH.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 416
  • BRASS LATCH.jpg
    BRASS LATCH.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 408

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats again on another mere awesome find!

Sometime I should show you my collection of 1960's Michigan bottle caps :thumbsup:

By the way, up here out of the basement I'm surprized to see a bunch of folks I thought left TNet a long time ago.

I like it a lot up here :thumbsup:

Badger

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Congrats again on another mere awesome find!

Sometime I should show you my collection of 1960's Michigan bottle caps :thumbsup:

By the way, up here out of the basement I'm surprized to see a bunch of folks I thought left TNet a long time ago.

I like it a lot up here :thumbsup:

Badger

Take off your hat and stay a while, MB. Thanks for the reply, my friend.

P.S.--I wanna see those bottle caps, Especially if there's a Dixi-Cola or a Bireley's in there. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread