Upvote 0

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
and like i've said numerous times oleophilic adhesion works....duh!!!!

if you read the patents and engineering notes you will see clearly that for it to work economically there has to be something removing the grease and concentrates AAANNNDDDD re-applying the grease!!!!
https://www.google.com/patents/US4511461

That is why it is not an economically viable method to recover values ESPECIALLY in river water!!!! On a passive sheet covered riding in the water gold is not the only thing that would stick to it, at some point it is fully loaded and does not allow gold to make contact.

Posting icmj links and patents and studies does nothing for anyone especially if you don't read what they actually say before posting.

The whole sheet in the river thread got started with the elephant saying to use metal zorb in a pipe,and asking questions and having ideas. Not once stating we already do this, here's my input!!! then it evolved to fish oil then it turned into " this is what we do with great success" and have been.

"I'm glad we found out about it" or something like that

and for no reason up pops pictures of my hands and gold I've found calling out my hands as dishwashers hands..."not a real miners hands"
If something is meant to be an insult then yes i will take it as such.....that is specifically why that comment was made to intentionally insult me and question my inputs viability...or worth.

It really couldn't be more obvious than that.

Sure you don't have to post pictures to prove your process is real especially when you can fall back on the old 'Why bother you just won't get it" or don't "deserve" it. Common themes when a troll steps in so its hyper suspicious.

I know how to research for deposits prospect them and recover gold.I'm always interested in new ways. Never ever ever...on any of these threads have I told anyone their idea was dumb. When it comes up I do share links as to viability and to help people further their ideas and sometimes not waste their time. Especially if another method in the area could yield better results....unlike telling someone to get a waterproof detector and hunting the bottom of the Arkansas River( were not talking about the one in Colorado)which if you are paying attention would have a deep sediment layer making nugget shooting impossible..I'm sure you will find lots of aluminum cans.

Some people are actually here to help Jeff I have done so every step of the way. I know people here in person They have been on my claim we have raised money together for Brandon we have dug together. Speak of what we want for prospectors in person. Take out newbies watch out for each other. I just opened a prospecting and outdoor store selling and renting gear to make it less expensive for newbies and to help them get better. the services I provide with the help of another member here as far as land status and research will be provided for free...it just so happens that that fellow gets called out for his website often by this same person.

It appears at this point that a member like me is not what you want to keep around. it appears that the community and bond i'm trying to grow and strengthen her will not be protected by moderators. That is a shame because what I try to bring to the table has so much more integrity and usefulness.

I hate the ignore button you still see that people ignored are commenting and if they are quoted you see it. also if you haven't noticed in life typically ignoring an issue doesn't make it go away...dealing with it does. Unfortunately the way the rules work here make that backwards and good members just get fed up and don't participate.

If you moderators can't see what is really going on and do something about it this will just keep happening and like I mentioned before several real people here are pretty fed up.

banter is one thing I'm a huge smart ass and have a dry sarcastic sense of humor. And a thick skin. yet, when it is so obvious, that a person is going to make open personal insults, just for the sake of starting crap and the moderators just let it happen over and over. It just seems like you guys don't really care.

nothing better to do than make fun of my hands for some reason...WEIRD

The patent is for a piece of equipment that removes and reapplies grease. Duh? oleophilic adhesion is not a piece of equipment. It is a statement of fact that certain things stick to other things.

How could you possibly know if what we do works or not? Or what sticks and doesn't?

Not economically viable? Lol! I would tell you how many ounces of superfine gold we got from a few hundred dollars of oil and burlap but im afraid that you could not handle it!

Im not an elephant! I won't resort to childish name calling im an adult!

I didn't say whose hands were in the pics but it's a fact that one days worth of shoveling would blister those hands!

I won't ignore you! You make me giggle!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did see the thread because I remember you liked Treasure hunters telling me to chill out so I know you were reading along, in fact your like is still there. Most forums would be more receptive in my opinion to common sense. Feel free to read the thread again and see why I felt upset, confused, offended or admonished.

It ends here, if anyone has issues with moderation handle it per our rules through pm to a mod, no more discussion in open threads on moderation...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The patent is for a piece of equipment that removes and reapplies grease. Duh? oleophilic adhesion is not a piece of equipment. It is a statement of fact that certain things stick to other things.

How could you possibly know if what we do works or not? Or what sticks and doesn't?

Not economically viable? Lol! I would tell you how many ounces of superfine gold we got from a few hundred dollars of oil and burlap but im afraid that you could not handle it!

I didn't say whose hands were in the pics but it's a fact that one days worth of shoveling would blister those hands!

when you work with razor sharp slate you tend to wear gloves...Years of experience tend to help you get past the learning curve of dealing with blisters and cuts that you don't have to.

my point was that the grease loads and you have to remove it and reapply. the very studies you linked spoke of how recovery percentages increase when the grease was removed and reapplied MORE OFTEN. the recovery was diminished with longer intervals and stopped once the grease was loaded to its capacity hence the need to design something that scraped of the greasy cons and re apply more clean grease for recovery.

That is what the links you provide clearly show.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't think of gloves. You got me there!

They were grease tables or that patented equipment. Much like a miller table all of the stuff runs over the grease. The burlap is suspended in water and does not have tons of solids running over it. The pan pics that I just posted show that black sands do not stick to crisco. Some stuff sticks and some doesn't but we have never had any problems with burlap sheets getting overloaded. Some do wash away after storms

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when you work with razor sharp slate you tend to wear gloves...Years of experience tend to help you get past the learning curve of dealing with blisters and cuts that you don't have to.

my point was that the grease loads and you have to remove it and reapply. the very studies you linked spoke of how recovery percentages increase when the grease was removed and reapplied MORE OFTEN. the recovery was diminished with longer intervals and stopped once the grease was loaded to its capacity hence the need to design something that scraped of the greasy cons and re apply more clean grease for recovery.

That is what the links you provide clearly show.

I agree 100% with protecting your hands. I'am a guitar player and a luthier, I don't need...or want.... my hands beat and blistered up!
Ironclad gloves!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I wrote this post once before but deleted it, thinking it might be yet another distraction. However, if not said, I'm afraid the _fill_in_the_blank_ will continue.

It ends here, if anyone has issues with moderation handle it per our rules through pm to a mod, no more discussion in open threads on moderation...

Please folks, I'm here to learn. I understand how the Mods are in kind of a stick predicament in all this, and I can respect that. TH made that last post, saying that would be all for open channel. However, I would also VERY HUMBLY ask the rest to do the same. If there are hurtful words, please ignore them. Don't care nothing about an "Ignore" button on my end of things - I feel that every person here will have something worthwhile to contribute now and again. ...Even me! :tongue3: But this thread has gone several different directions, and most of them not good.

I'm begging you, please, let's stop the bickering. If there's something someone said that offends you, please just let the blows glance off ya. They're only words. That said, this forum is just words....and pics and videos., but mostly words. It's laid out in a very easy to understand format with an amazing number of headings and sub-headings and sub-sub-headings. But this is just one single thread, and it's supposed to be about someone wishing to recover a gold-like substance from the cracks of a sidewalk. I say "gold-like" because I am INTENTIONALLY trying to avoid any more of this mess. If you believe it's gold, great. If you don't, great. But the OP deserves the right to come here and learn, just as each of the rest of us.

chlsbrns, that's some neat pics! However, I hope fish oil doesn't cost as much as Crisco! :laughing7:

It's an interesting concept and I do fully intend to follow through with the research. ...Maybe I'll even take all the good points of this thread and combine them together in a separate thread. Whether the concept is malarkey or not, it deserves it's place in discussion. I'm not an active prospector - no gold in my area! Yet I hope one day to get out and try my hand at it. Until that time, I'm learning all I can to make my chances of success as great as possible.

I apologize for my outburst. I will not be posting anything further that is not 100% on-topic.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Luthier? I'll have to look that up.

From my understanding from the GPEX thread, the idea was to use the fish oil (in a drum) until no longer effective, then replace with new oil. Don't think the text ever got far enough to cover more than that. Am hoping this thread will.

Git it!:
A luthier (/ˈluːtiər/ LOO-ti-ər)[1] is someone who builds or repairs string instruments generally consisting of a neck and a sound box.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
We tried the drum and fish oil. It's hard to keep the flow of water into the drum at a constant level. To much water and the oil overflows the tank.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Over"flows"? From what I was reading (and my memory ain't the greatest!), the idea I had of it was that the water would exit through the bottom of the barrel. I'm assuming there was a pipe that would rise up above the height of the barrel in order to prevent water from freely draining out.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't think of gloves. You got me there!

They were grease tables or that patented equipment. Much like a miller table all of the stuff runs over the grease. The burlap is suspended in water and does not have tons of solids running over it. The pan pics that I just posted show that black sands do not stick to crisco. Some stuff sticks and some doesn't but we have never had any problems with burlap sheets getting overloaded. Some do wash away after storms

Just guessing your process.....The burlap is soaked with oil (fish oil in your case probably for environmental reasons), a stream of "gold pregnant water" (instream river water?) is allowed to pass through the suspended burlap for a period of time (days, weeks, a month or more) and then the burlap is pulled and washed in hot water allowing the gold to release from the oil and settle and be collected at some point, while the oil floats to the surface of the water and is skimmed off or whatever. Close? Other option: incinerate the oil soaked burlap and recover the gold from the ashes.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Over"flows"? From what I was reading (and my memory ain't the greatest!), the idea I had of it was that the water would exit through the bottom of the barrel. I'm assuming there was a pipe that would rise up above the height of the barrel in order to prevent water from freely draining out.

The stuff/soils that you shovel or dredge in has to be able to exit the drum so you can't have a pipe that rises. If the inflow is to fast the drum overflows to slow and everything drains out. It's real hard to keep an acurate flow. When you lose oil you lose gold.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Just guessing your process.....The burlap is soaked with oil (fish oil in your case probably for environmental reasons), a stream of "gold pregnant water" (instream river water?) is allowed to pass through the suspended burlap for a period of time (days, weeks, a month or more) and then the burlap is pulled and washed in hot water allowing the gold to release from the oil and settle and be collected at some point, while the oil floats to the surface of the water and is skimmed off or whatever. Close? Other option: incinerate the oil soaked burlap and recover the gold from the ashes.

Yes. Usually weeks. We also have access to numerous old mining tailing/settling ponds. We incinerate.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that I did the crisco on the pan I'm thinking that a step table setup would be good on beach sand. Im going to have to drive the guys nuts so that they make me one ASAP!

Actually you could anchor a sheet of crisco coated plywood in the surf and shovel onto the plywood. The surf should wash the sands off. Not very efficient but it should work?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Per soft hands....some people use equipment to mine and don't need to work their fingers to the bone.

Actually I have a theory that the less you work at finding gold the more you find.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that I did the crisco on the pan I'm thinking that a step table setup would be good on beach sand. Im going to have to drive the guys nuts so that they make me one ASAP!

Actually you could anchor a sheet of crisco coated plywood in the surf and shovel onto the plywood. The surf should wash the sands off. Not very efficient but it should work?

The moving sand load may scrub the caught gold off but this could be a solvable problem (?) depending on design (probably not entirely flat) and positioning. Thinking about it, part of the irregular surface could be done with how the grease is applied (combed...think ribbed mat or diamond pattern).

I'm a once a year beach miner and this intrigues me. Let us know if you figure something out.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
arizau - If that was the case, what about just throwing down a couple of planks of marine plywood with V-groove on top and shovel alternately onto them?

chlsbrns - Yes, now I remember having that same thought before when I was reading - about what happens to the waste material. Went back to read and it DID SAY that the water/material was to come in at the top of barrel with the outflow near the bottom, and was supposed to stay at the rate that water would leave the barrel. So maybe have a 1/4 turn valve to regulate the outflow to the pump? Seems like it might be an operation that might require 2 people to get it set up properly - either that or someone better have really long arms! :laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The moving sand load may scrub the caught gold off but this could be a solvable problem (?) depending on design (probably not entirely flat) and positioning. Thinking about it, part of the irregular surface could be done with how the grease is applied (combed...think ribbed mat or diamond pattern).

I'm a once a year beach miner and this intrigues me. Let us know if you figure something out.

Not to mention when the waves from the mighty Pacific hit ANYTHING......it's cleaned, removed, broken, or all three. Around here I have seen...many time driftwood logs weighing a ton or two thrown like they were nothin'.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
arizau - If that was the case, what about just throwing down a couple of planks of marine plywood with V-groove on top and shovel alternately onto them?

chlsbrns - Yes, now I remember having that same thought before when I was reading - about what happens to the waste material. Went back to read and it DID SAY that the water/material was to come in at the top of barrel with the outflow near the bottom, and was supposed to stay at the rate that water would leave the barrel. So maybe have a 1/4 turn valve to regulate the outflow to the pump? Seems like it might be an operation that might require 2 people to get it set up properly - either that or someone better have really long arms! :laughing7:

The cleanup involves scraping the grease off, then reapplying into the grooves. That is the reason I thought about the combing. Still may not work but a less involved experiment. Actually I'm thinking bare sluice body, slower current in a beach creek and mostly black sand feed (it's all minus 100 mesh except for a stray pebble or shell). Long slick plate to allow the material to sort. Grease sheds almost all of anything other than gold providing it isn't a strong current per my previous experimentation with just a small piece. The lard or crisco will set up pretty hard in cold water.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Wasn't meaning to use oil/Crisco on the matting. Just use the matting bare. Could have some cinder blocks or big rocks to hold the boards/matting in place while the wave action washes the lighter material away - just like a gold pan. Sorry, never been to the beach either....except for one very short trip to the Texas Gulf Coast at Galveston. The Pacific should be quite another story altogether!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smeared some crisco on a pan then put some black sands then I swirled it for about 15 seconds. Look at the pics below! The superfine gold in the black sands stuck to the crisco before it made it into the corner of the pan! Try it yourself before you criticize!

Looking thru a magnifying glass you can see the tiny tiny specks of gold throughout the area where the crisco is. I wish that I had my microscope here to take pics and measure the size of them.

Looks like I should set up a Crisco pan for finishing beach cons! Looks like you could just swirl it a bit to let the gold drop, and then dump all the sand. Fastest panning ever! It'd also pick up diamonds, as they stick to grease as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread