Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well didn't post my finds with Hans and the Iron Bros last time as there wasn't a lot to take pictures of except for the usual musketballs and unreadable coins. Well cleaned this one up and I noticed that there was a small shield on the bottom middle and on the other side has an oval shape inside the coin...I have no clue but I imagine someone here will put a name to it pretty fast... Roughly the same size as the a Geo II and would be around the same age.
thanks

Attachments

• Shield.jpg
    Shield.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,344
  • shield2.jpg
    shield2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,247
Upvote 0

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
http://www.coinsandstamps.com/foreigncoins/Condor Tokens/18 Ireland/bct932.htm

1800 Wexford Enniscorthy Halfpenny Condor Token (Ireland)

OBV: A castle by the sea, having a gateway with portcullis with 6 bars.
PAYABLE AT THE BANK OF R. W. ENNISCORTHY.

REV: A monogram RW upon a shield suspended from the branch of a tree. A.D. 1800

:wink:

Cool, have you ever found one? It is one that I haven't owned, but I believe a friend found one here several years ago. There's just something about the design that stuck in my mind... reminds me of holloween, spooky tree. If it wasn't for that I would never remember his find.

I found that, actually think I got a couple of them
spooky

Attachments

• rwirish.JPG
    rwirish.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 563

half-serious

Greenie
Apr 1, 2009
MS
Detector(s) used
Silver uMax, Ace 250
As several of you are discussing the availability of particular reference books and their cost, I wanted to be sure that you were aware of a tremendous library of old and FREE material.

When Mackaydon gave the link to info on Woodcock's bank, he tipped you off in case you have not used this resource.
.........and the resource is Google Books http://books.google.com.

If you go to the site and click Advanced Search to the right of the search box and select Public Domain Only, you can find more works of interest in PDF that are complete and free to download than you can possibly imagine.

After reading this post, I went there and in just a few minutes had downloaded the following books:

Provincial coins, tokens, and medalets issued in Great Britain, Ireland,and the Colonies --1798

Appendix to Batty's descriptive catalogue of the copper coinage of Great Britain, Ireland, British Isles, and Colonies --1898

The silver tokens of Great Britain and Ireland --1866

Trade tokens issued in the seventeenth century in England, Wales, and Ireland --1891

Tokens issued in the seventeenth century in England, Wales, and Ireland --1858

I hope everyone is already using this as the big G has made it possible for us to build substantial libraries at no cost, regardless of our field of interest. But if you are not using it, take a look...it's massive.

Unfortunately, the one Cru' references does not seem to be in the group, perhaps due to being reprinted.

Disclaimer: At least, public domain is pre-1923 in the States. Not sure of the laws in other places.

Feast away.

h-s

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ironhorse said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
http://www.coinsandstamps.com/foreigncoins/Condor Tokens/18 Ireland/bct932.htm

1800 Wexford Enniscorthy Halfpenny Condor Token (Ireland)

OBV: A castle by the sea, having a gateway with portcullis with 6 bars.
PAYABLE AT THE BANK OF R. W. ENNISCORTHY.

REV: A monogram RW upon a shield suspended from the branch of a tree. A.D. 1800

:wink:

Cool, have you ever found one? It is one that I haven't owned, but I believe a friend found one here several years ago. There's just something about the design that stuck in my mind... reminds me of holloween, spooky tree. If it wasn't for that I would never remember his find.

I found that, actually think I got a couple of them
spooky

hmmm... never knew that, and it wasn't you I was thinking of! Remember down near the Church site in B, the plowed field we almost stopped at a couple times. Anyway, the story the Viking told about being down that way and the landowner being right there when he got a big iron hit, which he gave up on, but the owner encouraged him to keep going. He dug the iron crap but got another signal, was one of those I believe.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CRUSADER for identifying that coin for me.... knew it wouldn't take long! Thanks to all for the generated conversation and links...feel educated now :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread