Found Two New Sites ..Cheys BF and New Pics

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Found Two New Sites ..Chey's BF and New Pics

My daughter,Mariah(9) and I scoped out two new sites today ...the first one we followed the train tracks across the river to an old sawmill site that we have been researching . We found the sawmill foundations,cellar holes from several houses and lots of rock walls ....had several really good hits and dug alot of iron....we will be heading back tomorrow with warmer clothes.
The second site was a challenge...it was behind an old cemetary,down a really steep hill and we had to cross a frozen swamp to get there....but lots of old foundations and then the creepy cage thing. This was about two miles into the woods,so when we found it...we werent really thrilled. Found alot of bottle dumps ,, some old granite ware and broken pottery.....another good site frozen for now!

Attachments

• Gypsysawmillmarch2506 045.jpg
    Gypsysawmillmarch2506 045.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 592
  • Gypsysawmillmarch2506 039.jpg
    Gypsysawmillmarch2506 039.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 591
  • Gypsysawmillmarch2506 041.jpg
    Gypsysawmillmarch2506 041.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 600
  • Gypsysawmillmarch2506 030.jpg
    Gypsysawmillmarch2506 030.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 554
  • Gypsysawmillmarch2506 031.jpg
    Gypsysawmillmarch2506 031.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 597
  • Gypsysawmillmarch2506 033.jpg
    Gypsysawmillmarch2506 033.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found Two New Sites Today

Nice pics GH, look like some promising sites! The adventure stories yours daughters will have and relics to back up the stories, Priceless. HH and look forward to your finds, Mike

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

i hope these site,s are going to produce some nice finds for you as the site that got you the silver and nice bottles :) good luck to you.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Gypsy,

really interesting sites. Sure seem like they could
produce.

Any signs of fowl droppings in the crate, cage thing?
Could it just be a crate and not a cage?

have a good un..........

R

rvbvetter

Great looking sites. Looks to be a lot of history there. I wonder why it seemed to be the place to live, and by the looks of the old foundations, not now?
Be careful crossing that ice. If you need someone to find the thin spots, I bet I could find them. I have a knack for being in the worst possible place at the worst possible time. HH

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow.....You have some great sites there....and you know!!! taking your daughter with you is great....those are some nice pictures and it looks like the weather was nice....I hope you find some old coins on your next hunt and as big as that place is , i would'nt be suprised if you do find plenty of coins and nice items..... 8) ;) ;) ;) :o

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Congrat's on your new site's Gypsy...Hope they are as full as Seeker's ...Keep us posted,can't wait for the pic's...

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did any one notice that some how you were able to catch Angels in two of the photographs. A family hunt nothing better than that. Great site GH

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Nice looking site. The type I like to hunt. Take a shovel dig deep and dig every hit. It is nice to spend time together also.

Good Luck,

Jer

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Gyps,
...train tracks across a river..........sounds promising
Bet you're gonna have some luck there ;)
Mariah looks like she's 'into it'. Cool :)

My pond is now water around the edges, and I've heard a few Canadian geese this week............
..................so..................the thawwwwww IS coming!
Good luck and bundle up for a while still

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

That looks like some really great spots, looks like your research paid off.
By the way that's some beautiful white sand in those pictures, is it near a beach? ;D
I'm sure you will many fun hours there when it warms up.
Oh by the way watch out for trains when crossing the bridge.

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

Great research gypsy.Looks like you've got your work cut out for you and your little helper for a while. I hope you recover some nice relics and coins for your effort.It won't be long and all the snow and ice will be gone. It's going to be near 50 and sunshine here in north central Wisconsin on Sunday. I wish you and yours the best.
HH!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Those sites look very promising Gypsy!!! :o

Mariah is just a cutie pie! Ya'll find something good!!!

;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

What an adventure! It's so good to see you and your daughter, Gypsy. :)

Thanks for the pictures. Good luck tomorrow!

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Great sites Gyspy, glad you had your little helper along for all the fun.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Found Two New Sites ..Chey's BF and New Pics

The girls and I got moving early Sunday and went to the sawmill site. The walk in ,is about 3/4 mile,with nice trails running all through the island. We passed two elderly ladies who were out for a morning stroll and as we hit the trail that led into the woods for the mill, there in the path was this wad of money!!!! Great start and I hadn't even put my gloves on yet.....13.00 in green cash!!! As we approached the site, I saw that there had been visitors during the night,because several beer bottles were sitting on the foundations...which explains the dropped money!!! Lucky us...maybe we should hit that place every Sunday.

Cheyenne went directly to the foundation walls and started detecting along the base...I told her to dig every beep and I moved to a rock ledge that I had good hits on the previous day. After digging several pieces of rusty iron and square nails...Cheyenne yelled that she had a good hit....She had dug down about 5 inches and pulled out a Ben Franklin Half 1951. She was dancing all over the place ! Just beaming! It was her day for finds ,because with in a few minutes she dug a silver ring! We moved over to one of the cellar holes and started scanning the walls ...within seconds she had found a thimble....I went to look and she had pulled a couple of stones away and said it was sitting on the ledge...just like someone had set it there! This child was on a roll! In the meantime Mariah was digging bottles and had found a couple of wire top mason jars, in which she was not excited over...she wanted money.She also found the broken Micro Killer Jug... Hahaha.....She hasn't been feeling the best over the last few days ,so it didn't take her long before she was curled up in her blanket and taking a nap on the foundation wall.
In the mean time ,the two ladies came back and asked us what we were looking for. As we showed them our finds and explained that we research old places. Well they thought this was all pretty exciting and said if I came back next Sunday they would have some names of places that I could go look and then asked me if I did private places.....SMILE...You betcha! They also informed us that this place was suppose to be haunted and warned us not to come here at night....hahahaha....
Chey and I continued digging in the cellar hole and on the hill behind it...dug alot of pottery,bottles and rusted metal...its impossible to use the detector much,because there is metal everywhere....Even in the stone foundations are metal posts...Chey did manage to walk the edges and find a few wheat's,nickels and two dimes and then a match safe. The ground is still pretty froze,which makes for some hard digging. I think this is going to prove to be a good site but need to dig deeper for the better finds....Hurry up Sunshine! We took a break and spent our newly found money at Burger King for lunch, then hit the rest of the island.Started peelingoff the layers of clothes ,because temps were now hitting 50....yeehaw. Found a couple of more depressions that had good signals ,but again...need more thawing before we can dig.Found a few bottles in the banks under the railroad bridge a glass button. The girls are off this week for spring break so we plan on getting out there again. My camera is giving me grief so will have to post the rest of the photos tomorrow ......

Attachments

• SMJunk and Horse jawbone.JPG
    SMJunk and Horse jawbone.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 332
  • way to start the  day Sawmill.JPG
    way to start the day Sawmill.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 320
  • sawmill032606 051.JPG
    sawmill032606 051.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 341
  • MamacellarholeSM 032606.JPG
    MamacellarholeSM 032606.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 345
  • Chey and Mo SMILL 32606.JPG
    Chey and Mo SMILL 32606.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Chey\'s BF 32606.JPG
    Chey\'s BF 32606.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 346

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You all look like you are having a wonderful time.....and finding some nice stuff.....your daughter must have been jumping for joy with that Ben Franklin Half :o :o :o :o.....It took me along time and thousands of holes to find my first half.....But like they say you just have to be in the right place at the right time!!!!! Congrats to all of you! ......I think you have a Detecting Team there !!! 8) Plus with more info from the nice ladies you talked to ...You three should be busy for a long time at that place....! Make sure you buy extra batteries your going to need them ....Wonderful Pictures thanks for sharing them with us here in the forum !!!! ;) ;) ;)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

GYPSY, Tripple Play!!! Great Site, Great Finds, Great Kids, It Just Doesn't Get Any Better. Best Of Luck & Good Hunting. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 059.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 059.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 316
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 059.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 059.gif
    18.1 KB · Views: 315

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York

looks like you found a nice spot. do you have a smaller coil? going real slow with a smaller coil might be the way to go with all the iron in the ground.

GLL and HH

Tim

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Looks like you and the crew had a great time...Excellent finds!

HH!
TBGO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread