diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this picture of Frederick Douglass from the son of one of the original Tuskeegee airmen. He said he got it from his dad who passed away several years ago. It is signed by a listed artist, Charles Wells... Charles Wells | Smithsonian American Art Museum It is 25.5" x 19" framed.
To me it looks like a print. It's hard to tell. The penciled signature looks legit. However what doesn't make sense is, if it's a print shouldn't it be numbered? Also what kind of value you think this would this have? I paid $25 for it. Here are the photos, all comments welcomed...

DSC07993 (890x1024).jpg DSC07994 (820x1024).jpg DSC08001.JPG DSC07995 (1024x765).jpg DSC07996.JPG

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell if it's a print. I would contact the Smithsonian if any reproductive were authorized or if they sold the original from their collection. Myself, I would remove it from the frame and check to see if any ink seeped through the paper.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I saw the original last night researching. I already thought it looked like a print, especially after I looked at the close up photos I took. You can actually tell it's a print if you have a large enough computer screen, once you click it a couple times and enlarge the close up photo. It also appears as if the signature is an exact match as the original, so it would be printed also. Oh well. Probably worth what I paid for it.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I'd say worth at least what you paid, perhaps a bit more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions