From a No Hitter to a GOLDEN HOME RUN!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
From a No Hitter to a GOLDEN HOME RUN!

Hello again sports fans and welcome to tonight’s ball game! The evening is cooling off nicely but earlier today it was almost a scorcher out on the field beneath the noonday sun. Most folks would find shadier or cooler places to be and things to do on a day like today, but this dedicated (demented?) detector/athlete persevered and toiled on in the heat and humidity looking to make a score for the home team. At first it wasn’t looking too good for our hero (me).. completely went off and left the ball, the glove and the bat at home. How’s a guy supposed to play or even practice ball without the equipment, and it just doesn’t make sense that the sports field was not even a ball diamond, but rather a soccer field. One field of MANY. Oh yeah! Our hero wasn’t there to play ball, but to do some metal detecting. Go figure!
Yeah, it was the first time this guy was able to get out and detect any for a while now, we’ve had a lot of rain around these parts, fortunately no severe winds or tornadoes in my part of the country though. And I didn’t suffer from high water and flooding like so many of my neighbors in the surrounding counties and towns. No, I just had to stay indoors, bide my time.. oh and work. But today was a different story! Today I had time, it wasn’t raining, and the venue of choice to search wasn’t likely to be terribly waterlogged. (Got to think ahead sometimes and plan for contingencies..like soggy ground). The Venue today was a local park (to me anyway) with lots of soccer fields. It being a school day and in the middle of the day at that, there would be no worries of crowds or anything. I did have to dodge the lawn care maintenance guys as they were mowing the fields. Mowing.. something I had to do later today.. after detecting a bit!
As I said earlier, the day started off not being very promising. I was detecting to be sure! But I wasn’t finding much. Oh sure, I was finding can slaw and pull tabs and other various pieces of scrap metal, even some rather large pieces..

Trash.JPG

I found a few buttons, and a zipper pull.. and not surprisingly... one lone cleat “stud”.

Buttons.JPG

Oh I found a few coins here and there but they were “few” and far between. One coin dug up from just under the grass roots was a Wheaty though, a 1951 . Then not very far away I got another penny signal on my trusty Prizm IV and unearthed this stretched “milled” penny. Someone’s good luck charm perhaps?

NoHitterWheat.jpg

Yeah.. it was looking like it was going to be one of those days.. a “No Hitter” so to speak. At least I didn’t get skunked. I *DID* find coins.. a few. I found some more trash and stuff , even a pair of glasses that someone had dropped , they were just laying in the tall grass, not underground, but I found them with the detector, you couldn’t see them in the grass. I did unearth the lip gloss tube a few steps further along though. *sigh*

SpecsComp.jpg

At this point I had about fifteen coins in my finds bag , a little over a dollar maybe, it was hot, sticky with humidity from all the recent rain, and I was beginning to hear my stomach telling me that it was pretty close to lunch time. I was halfway across the first field making lanes one detector sweep wide from one end of the field to the other. About midfield I got a stuttering confused signal from my detector. My indicator was jumping around from fifty cent piece down to Nickel/pull tab but hovering a lot around the quarter range. In past experience this usually ends up being a rather compacted soda or beer can at the bottom of a four to five inch hole. But, I stopped, stooped, pinpointed and probed. Whatever it was, it was just under the surface, beneath the grass. I carefully cut a plug and lifted it out to find a nice big piece of Boy Scout Paraphernalia, in the form of a rather rough looking neckerchief slide. Hey! I thought it was pretty cool! But then, I used to be a scout many many moons ago. You can see it both in the rough as it was found, and after I gently cleaned it up a bit with water and a toothbrush..

Slide1C Comp.jpg

Well I might not have been finding a lot of coins, or at least not as many as I’ve become used to finding at soccer fields like the two that I was hunting this morning, but I was having fun, and at least finding stuff to talk about. Maybe it wasn’t so bad after all.. certainly wasn’t a “No Hitter” anymore. So I kept plugging along.. still thinking more and more about lunch. I was considering packing it in and running down the road to one of the fast food establishments when I got another quirky signal on my detector. This one wasn’t quite as jumpy as the one with the neckerchief slide, but it was bouncing around a little mostly in the quarter range. Again, I stopped, I stooped, I pinpointed and I probed. Again, the target was just under the grass, barely in the dirt. I used my knife/probe to find the edges of the target coin, cut a slit in the grass roots and popped it right out. *BLINK* ... *BLINK*BLINK*BLINK* !!!? That’s not a coin! My mouth was suddenly dry as cotton, my heart skipped a couple of beats then began to race, time took a break and even the birds and the breeze fell silent. Or so it appeared to me anyway. I had just popped out a rather wide and HEAVY ring from beneath the grass roots. It looked like a GOLD ring! I had to remind myself not to jump to conclusions though, I’ve found a few rings in the past that turned out to be costume jewelry or even bubblegum machine bling not even worth the coins whoever put into the machines to get them out of their plastic bubbles in the first place. This ring seemed pretty heavy for one of those posers though, but it had some white substance on the surface. Gold doesn’t “oxidize” or tarnish “white”. “ Yeah.. hold your horses and take a closer look.” I told myself. I brushed the dirt off the inside of the band first with my gloved fingers, then taking the gloves off and used my digging rag. I had to work mightily to work up a dab of spit to further wipe away some grime and grit but there it was! A hallmark! Pretty as you please in a very well defined little stamped square on the inside of the band was 18K !!!! It *IS* GOLD! Yeah.. my “No Hitter” just turned into a HOMERUN!! I forgot all about lunch at that point. I was giddy! Not to mention feeling a little sheepish after having done the happy dance while I texted a picture and the words “It’s GOLD” to my darling wife who was at work.
Well I couldn’t just pack up and leave now! I had too much adrenaline in me to call it a day yet. I decided that I would at least finish this second soccer field before heading off to home and my lawn chores that awaited me still. I was walking on air while I detected though. Oddly enough, I began finding quite a few more coins too. Karma? Persistence? Lucky Streak? I don’t know, but when another penny/nickel quirky signal popped up and I popped out a second ring I thought I was going to have to break into song or something! COULD IT BE POSSIBLY HAPPENING? TWO GOLD RINGS IN ONE DAY!? Hmm.. perhaps not. Though this second ring was kind of cute, it definitely looks like a child’s ring and a LOT like one of the bubble gum machine rings I spoke of earlier. It is engraved or stamped on the inside of the band however, but with the word or letters “ I N D I A “, and the little red stone looks to be paste. Oh well.. one near heart attack is enough for one day.

Rings2.JPG

RINGS1.JPG

STAMP.JPG

Paint.JPG

When I got home and cleaned the rings up a bit, the white substance on the gold ring must be paint or something as it comes off with the scratch of a fingernail. And this little ring is heavy. Check out the scale readings.. both grams and ounces..

Grams.JPG

Ounces.JPG

I’m still giddy! My wife was duly impressed, especially after she saw the weight of the ring. Of course the clad count turned out to be pretty good too. More than paid for my gas to the park and back. Another deposit into the vacation fund.. have to rebuild it after recently going on our trip to the beach.

Clad.JPG

Yeah.. a HOMERUN day for sure. I don’t remember much about mowing the yard or trimming with the weed eater or tending to the garden. I’ve been on cloud nine since this afternoon. A very good day indeed! I hope you all get out and get a chance to do some treasure hunting for yourselves too. As always..

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet gold ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring good hunk of change :icon_thumleft: HH Dd60

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Home run ?? More like a grand slam !!! Nice digs !! MaineRelic

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
You write the best accounts, and now you have one of the best finds. Congrats on the fine ring thats a biggy. :hello2:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
wwace said:
You write the best accounts, and now you have one of the best finds. Congrats on the fine ring thats a biggy. :hello2:

Okay.. now I'm blushing.. <turning bright red> <smile> Thank you. As for the ring, yeah, it's a heavy one, but the size is still kind of small. I would have thought it was a man's ring, perhaps a wedding band, by the width of the band. But the size is very small. Either it was a guy will really skinny fingers, or perhaps a girl was wearing it. <shrug> Either way, Their loss is my gain. With no inscriptions on the ring, there's little chance of tracking down the person who lost it, so it goes into the treasure chest to await future disposition. Maybe I'll finally get those golden pull tabs made to wear around my neck. <laughing> Only a fellow metal detectorist would get the joke.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lets see -- gold per oz (spot) $1200 -- weight --1/4 oz = $ 300 (if it was pure 24 K) x .75 ( 18 k purity is 75% pure ) =so $225 bucks worth of gold -- not bad at all. :wink: :icon_thumright:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
A most excellent ring!.....congrats! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

and I agree that you do write some excellent accounts of your day, very enjoyable to read...... :thumbsup:

I do have one request though.........I would LOVE for you to find a nice old farmhouse or abandoned school or JUST ANY OLD PIECE OF LAND and give it a shot...........with the amount of excitement you generate on modern soccer fields I would just love to see your face and reactions to pulling out an Indian Head or some old silver........lookin forward to your next post entitled.......$20 GOLD PIECE FOUND!!!!

HH all!

Greg

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. You must be part attorney, the way you present evidence for the court of TH'er opinion. I find you guilty of being a top treasure hunter. Keep it up.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov, Very nice find indeed ! And 18k to boot ! I'm a little surprised that it gave you a
signal in the quarter range - I have experienced nickel/pulltab range on my MXT, for the
14 and 18k rings I've found. Congratulations ! Argentium.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be... It could be... IT IS!!! HO-LEY COW!!!

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
makes it all worth the effort doesn't it! i really enjoyed the before cleaning and after cleaning you did, too.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
1235CE said:
A most excellent ring!.....congrats! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

and I agree that you do write some excellent accounts of your day, very enjoyable to read...... :thumbsup:

I do have one request though.........I would LOVE for you to find a nice old farmhouse or abandoned school or JUST ANY OLD PIECE OF LAND and give it a shot...........with the amount of excitement you generate on modern soccer fields I would just love to see your face and reactions to pulling out an Indian Head or some old silver........lookin forward to your next post entitled.......$20 GOLD PIECE FOUND!!!!

HH all!

Greg

Well it may not be an old farmhouse, but I am working on getting access to a VERY old property. I have a verbal "ok" but since this property is actually still a working hospital complete with residents and staff and security, I want to get a hard copy letter of permission to keep with me when I do get to finally start hunting the place. It's the oldest still operational psychiatric hospital East of the Mississippy river. There are plans in the works for a new hospital to replace it after it's some 185 years of continuous operation. I'm not expecting to find any $20 gold pieces on the grounds, but if there are old coins to be found in this city (Lexington, KY) then I'm sure they are on that property somewhere. <smile>
~Happy Hunting~

Frodov

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov.....

After reading your post, I would definitely recommend you submit your post to Whites for inclusion into their monthly Finds on their website. I have no doubt that you would get in with no problems....and if you do get in they will send you a $100 gift certificate towards any of their Whites gear.

Rockyredbaron

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
rockyredbaron said:
Hey Frodov.....

After reading your post, I would definitely recommend you submit your post to Whites for inclusion into their monthly Finds on their website. I have no doubt that you would get in with no problems....and if you do get in they will send you a $100 gift certificate towards any of their Whites gear.

Rockyredbaron

Thanks... I may just do that. I've not submitted anything to them in a while. I could do with some new stuff from the White's catalogue.. some knee pads, another finds bag maybe.. Batteries, batteries, batteries! <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread