Fruits and vegetables

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The FDA repots that since 1935, our minerals in our soils have been depleted. What does this mean? Whatever our grandfather ate in 1935 or. we will now have to eat 5 times as much to gain the same amount of nutrients from our vegetables. Also fruits are being depleted as well. On top of that almost all orchards spray their trees with pesticides to eliminate insects and produce more good fruit. Wash any fruit that you buy from a grocery store, and then peel it, as most of the pesticides remain in the peeelings. Also most of the vegetables we buy from the superrmaket has been treated with pesticides.Poultry are treated with antibiotics and beef and pork are given antibiotics along with hormones to gain weight faster. Also almost all eggs come from chickens that have never seen the outside of a building, where they are given food and water and hormones to gain the most weight or lay the most eggs. Organic is an option, as some farmers have elected to use free ranging chicken and grass grasing cattle. The price of the organic foods are generally higher, as not as much volume is obtained by the old and natural standards. For this reason, I supplement with a multi vitamin, to get my vitaminsand minerals. I have for about 20 years, and have not had a cold or flu in about 15 years. Also I started using Spirulina as a supplement in my food. Spirulina is what NASA uses to feed the astronauts, as it is the most complete food on the planet. rockhhound

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Intensive corporate farms are mostly responsible for this.
Chemical fertilizers are used to enhance crop growth. Peeling off the rinds may take the pesticides off that they spray but they also use systemic pesticides that the plants absorb.

Plants have been engineered so they ship better, store longer and look prettier at the expense of nutritional value and taste.

Ever notice in the produce section with organic tomatoes next to ones from a corporate farm? Organics look flawed and a lot of people have grown accustomed to the "perfect" looking one.

But Oh...the taste of an heirloom Brandywine. Mmmmmm.

What do you suppose they put in chicken feed that makes them egg shells so doggone hard to crack? They don't want to lose money with a bunch of broken eggs so they beef up the feed so chickens lay eggs with tougher shells.

Ever see that movie "Soylent Green"?

Al

K

Kentucky Kache

I'm in the process of starting an Heirloom orchard, and garden. No hybrid for me. No pesticides or chemical fertilizers either.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kentucky Kache said:
I'm in the process of starting an Heirloom orchard, and garden. No hybrid for me. No pesticides or chemical fertilizers either.

I can't wait to move and start an organic garden. Ground here was determined unsafe to grow veggies because of the steel mill fallout. Penn State Co-Op said if we wanted to eat veggies from a garden here to truck in our own soil. >:(

I had a large veggie garden once, organic. Was a Master Gardener for years. Lot's of work hand picking bugs but I didn't consider it work. It was a labor of love. My quiet time in the garden.
Funny how insects like the natural. They know whats good and what isn't. We're the stupid ones.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread