Ft Drum

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Fort Drum was established and garrioned in 1849 on Drum Creek,about 20mi north of Okeechobee.I believe there is a State marker on Hwy 441,about 34 mi south of Yeehaw Junction.

OP
OP
D

Darrell 592

Jan 6, 2013
Yes I have found that out first hand but the fort it self is not the exact location or near the location of the marker u see on a map have done some digging on the matter for about a week and have walked the area looking for old road beds etc the only lead that I have found promising is that it is located next to the old wire road which connects a network of different barricks and forts but I do thank u for ur time and effort

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know of an old wire rd in my county. was an old road as well another old road used aroumd same time period. connecting some key areas of florida. when i get home i will what i can fimd . what county are you in again??

bearbob2

Jan 19, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching the same thing, so far I have a digital map which shows the location of the forts in the area and the roads used to travel between them dated 1856. There were numerious forts, Fort Drum, Fort Vinton, Fort, Fort Bassinger and others. I am in the process of trying to get a hard copy of the map for compairson. I am close to that area maybe we can put our heads together, I would not mind considering a joint venture. Let me know and happy hunting.

Killedseth

May 23, 2012
Okeechobee, fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been researching the same thing, so far I have a digital map which shows the location of the forts in the area and the roads used to travel between them dated 1856. There were numerious forts, Fort Drum, Fort Vinton, Fort, Fort Bassinger and others. I am in the process of trying to get a hard copy of the map for compairson. I am close to that area maybe we can put our heads together, I would not mind considering a joint venture. Let me know and happy hunting.

You still have the maps?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased an 1856 Map of Florida from an antique store in Palatka for $10.00.
It shows all the Seminole War forts, many of those were used by the Florida Confederates during the War of Northern Aggression.
On this map, Fort Drum is about 30 MI north of Lake Okeechobee, 22 MI east of the Kissimee River, and about 30 Mi ese of Fort Kissimee, in what was then a very large Brevard county.
Drum Creek is not shown on this map.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread