Fun day .. Until the Police Came

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I went to an old part of town to do some strips (the area between the sidewalk and street owned by the city). I detected the strip in front of a couple of older homes that were empty. Probably in foreclosure. Someone in the neighborhood called the police and reported a "suspicious character" ... me. Initially the police were concerned about my digger ... "Please sir take your hand away from the knife". Just like on Cops! They were nice enough and suggested I go to another block but I had put in about 2 hours which is what I planned so I called it a day.

I really like strips. They are a challenge with lots of targets and you never know what you'll find. Some people are nice about it and actually invite you to detect their yard. Others call the police or threaten to. Some people are just edgy about everything. Oh well, it's just part of the deal.

5 wheaties (oldest was 1920), 2 silver dimes and a brass donkey. Maybe it's a horse. I don't know!!!

Attachments

• west side two.jpg
    west side two.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,705
  • west side one.jpg
    west side one.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,710
Upvote 0

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Michellets said:
Winslow, Nice finds :thumbsup:You could have an older artifact (The Donkey/Horse) than you realize. It could have been dropped by a collector of ancient artifacts. Looks like something from Ancient Greece (Thessaly) to me. You mentioned that you were in an older more affluent (?) area of houses. But... then again maybe it isn't old, I'd keep looking for an ID on it. HH M.

I Think Michellets is right but I think its origin is more African, Dogon tribe possibly, at any point very collectible.
Anything on the bottom ??

haboo

Jun 27, 2007
Hampshire, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
detector de metales said:
Michellets said:
Winslow, Nice finds :thumbsup:You could have an older artifact (The Donkey/Horse) than you realize. It could have been dropped by a collector of ancient artifacts. Looks like something from Ancient Greece (Thessaly) to me. You mentioned that you were in an older more affluent (?) area of houses. But... then again maybe it isn't old, I'd keep looking for an ID on it. HH M.

I Think Michellets is right but I think its origin is more African, Dogon tribe possibly, at any point very collectible.
Anything on the bottom ??

My first thought when I saw (The Donkey/Horse) it was of African origin. I,m no expert by all means, it was just my thought.

ScoobaSteve

Nov 28, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTX500
You are lucky that you didn't get tazed when the PoPo saw that knife of yours. I'm in Connecticut, so walking detecting with a knife is totally living on the edge! We're not one of those "Free States".

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rtde3 said:
Nice Ass! ( ;D sorry couldn't resist)
It does look like it could be very old.
Congrats on the silver as well! :thumbsup:

LMAO!!! Good one Rob. My kind of humor. :icon_jokercolor: :tongue3:

Congrats on the great strip finds Winslow. I've always thought about hitting those areas too, but felt a bit awkward doing so.
Perhaps the orange vest idea and doing vacant houses, or ones with permission would be a very productive idea. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the post.
-MM-

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the areas I have detected in the police probably would have asked me why I wasn't carrying a gun! Most of the thugs who "stay" there do! The more influential parts of town have boulevard dividers in the streets and that is a good place to detect. I found my biggest pocket spill on one. However, the trend lately has been for the various neighborhood associations to landscape and decorate the medians. Going digging in a landscaped flower garden is kinda' out of line even for me. Oh, and every little section between the sidewalk and the street is not necessarily City property. It depends on how wide the street easement is among other things. I worked those darn easements as part of a Code Enforcement program I headed for the City and found out the hard way. Monty

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I love the little grass strips too! Monty is right though, sometimes the easment doesn't cover the whole strip.
In my town everything between the street and the sidewalk is city property, but in another town nearby there is about 2 feet of private property on the outside of the sidewalk on a couple of streets.

As far as asking permission.... Not a chance. If there is not ordinance against it I see no reason to look for trouble.
I am nice, but firm when challenged, but the bottom line is it is public. I see no reason to apologize or get run off when I'm enjoying my hobby! And one that is legal too!
I like the idea of the hardhad and vest though! I have lots of 'em in my shop. Have to give that a try in the spring!

Good Luck,
Mark

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
The best way to acquire permission is to ask. Dont take the cheap way out by just jumping on an easment because the city holds rights to them. The city holds the easment rights for any utility instalation or upgrade; its not intended to be used as public park property!
Its when people do this and scream that they have the right to, that town citizens get annoyed and push the vote to ban our hobby from city parks and such. If we try everything possible to keep in good terms with the city and the people, then our hobby wont be looked down upon as easily. I just wish people would not look for the loopholes in the system and put in the effort to ask. Lets try and keep in mind the big picture. I enjoy hunting these areas to, but only after I have gotten permission for it and the rest of the yard. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
winslow

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
I really like the vest idea. The hardhat might make it a little cumbersome with headphones.

Maybe my wife will put some orange under the tree for me.

In terms of permission ... with the real esate downturn there seem to be plenty of empty houses to detect in front of (not the yards but the strip in front). Hopefully the neighbors don't complain. I don't think there is anyone else in my area doing strips so it's not like the area is being overrun with detectorists.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Johnny,
I am a sitting mayor of my town.
I have had the advantage of asking our city attorney about whether or not permission would be appropriate.
His answer was that the grass strip is not an easment, it is city property.
So, while I am nice about it, I don't ask.
Mark

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another few words of wisdom about easements. In many neighborhoods there is also a utility easement along the back of the property. However this is not owned by the municipality, rather it is just an area where utilities are allowed to be located and it is more or less a right to trespass area for the city or the utility companies. That's why you have to be careful where you put your fence because it can be taken down by the utilities or the city and if your fence is blocking the esement, you will be responsible and liable for repairing the fence. A good way to know is to check with the city before fencing your lot. It there is a meter of some sort, a highline wire strung on poles or your plumbing waste lines runs toward the rear of your property, you can bet there is a utility easement back there. Oh, and if you are detecting back there , fenced or not, you will be trespassing. On my lot for instance, the city located the sewer line inside the easement by error and if they take my fence down they are responsible for fixing it. Something like that is good to know if you are buying a home.
As a final note, on the front of many lots the sidewalk was built by the developer, not the city and it may or may not be an indicator of the street easement. I would think the best thing to do if you want to detect there is to at least inform the abuting property owner you will be there and explain you will not be leaving any open holes or eyesores, even if asking permission is not required. And if the area is nicely manicured be very careful about leaving it as you found it , or you might even want to skip those areas as a courtesy to the property owner who does take pains to make his yard attractive. Monty

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
AS BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER, YOU DIDNT BREAK ANY LAWS, AND AS THE OFFICER REQUESTED YOU TO GO TO THE NEXT BLOCK, IM SORRY I WOULD HAVE SAID THATS OK, IM GOING TO FINISHED MD ON THIS BLOCK. TOO MANY OFFICERS FEEL THAY CAN JUST TELL YOU TO MOVE JUST BECAUSE THERE AND OFFICER.. I ALMOST HAD A NICE LAWSUIT BECAUSE OF A STUPID OFFICER . HE LOST HIS JOB, AND THATS ALL I WANTED.. AS BEING A OFFICER(RETIRED) . I ALWAYS TREATED PEOPLE THE WAY I WANTED TO BE TREATED.. :thumbsup:

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Homer!
Thank you,
I see this over and over. I am a current small town mayor, with six current officers and several fired and retired officers it is glaringly obvious which ones are in it for public service, and which ones get into law enforcement as a power trip. Good officers that have common sense and care about doing the job right are the most valuable employees any government unit can have.

What Homer just wrote tells me that he "got it". Wherever you retired from I will say without a doubt that was one lucky community to have you on the job.

Thank you,
Mark

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
MARK, JUST WANTED TO SAY THANKS. MY LAST EMPLOYMENT WAS WITH A SMALL TOWN IN SOUTH GA. I DECIDED I WAS UNABLE TO POLICE ANY LONGER AFTER 5 YRS ON THE JOB (DRUG ENFORCEMENT DIV) WHAT YOU SAID TELLS ME YOUR TOWN HAS A CAREING MAYOR , THAT WILL BACK HIS OFFICERS UP AND FIRE THEM WHEN THERE DEAD WRONG. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. :thumbsup:
mpostma said:
Homer!
Thank you,
I see this over and over. I am a current small town mayor, with six current officers and several fired and retired officers it is glaringly obvious which ones are in it for public service, and which ones get into law enforcement as a power trip. Good officers that have common sense and care about doing the job right are the most valuable employees any government unit can have.

What Homer just wrote tells me that he "got it". Wherever you retired from I will say without a doubt that was one lucky community to have you on the job.

Thank you,
Mark

A

archaeon

that donkey is very interesting...it looks like an effigy. you should look into it.
i have been yelled at, had things thrown at me, dogs sic'ed on me, water sprayed at me, and the cops called on me.
everytime i have had the cops called on me, the officer would explain to the resident that i had every right to detect the curbs. thank you officers! although i have been pulled over and bullied many times by officers as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread