IMAG0220.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,543
Upvote 0

dpepple

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be zinc coated. I teach chemistry and we do a lab where we turn pennies from copper to silver to gold. The zinc plated pennies are silver in color and then when you lightly heat them, the copper and zinc react to make brass (gold). Hope this helps.

OP
OP
rebeljim52

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply sounds right to me.

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont get on here alot but ill throw my 2 cents in(no pun intended). it could be like he said a chemistry experiment. I do a lot of penny collecting and there are error coins stamped on steel. I have a 1968 with a masons symbol stamped sent it to my coin guy he confirmed its an error worth $20-40.

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rustydigger said:
I dont get on here alot but ill throw my 2 cents in(no pun intended). it could be like he said a chemistry experiment. I do a lot of penny collecting and there are error coins stamped on steel. I have a 1968 with a masons symbol stamped sent it to my coin guy he confirmed its an error worth $20-40.
a penny with a mason symbol is a mint error coin? :laughing9: your "coin" guy is jokin right?

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rustydigger said:

I'd like to see some of those '68 Mason's coins from the mint! :icon_scratch:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been told if you soak a penny in mercury it will absorb mercury and become silver. I've never actually tried it though.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rustyjim i suggest you get a new coin guy......the penny you describe would probably better be called a counter stamp..that masonic symbol was put on the penny by someone that sold it or made it for the masons...it was not done at the mint and i have seen them at coin shows for anywhere from 1.00 to 3.00.........

rustydigger

Aug 11, 2010
central jersey
Detector(s) used
whites v3i, bounty hunter tracker IV, whites bullseye II pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that came across wrong. The penny being stamped on steel is the error, the masonic symbol is what killed the value. before the symbol stamp it was worth $. now its a novelty item. Either way nice find this is about your penny not mine just giving some insight.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree Mzjavert, it was dipped in mercury. We used to do it in grade school, and play with the mercury. I'd be washing my hands after touching it. HH

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting discussion--makes you wonder.

All the best,

Lanny

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Another suggestion is that it could be a poenny struck on a dime planchet but I'm not sure ok. Have it checked by a pro ok. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread