Garrett ACE 250 or Fischer F22 or Nokta Simplex for beginner?

mr_jj

Mar 23, 2024
I'm just getting into metal detecting and have a budget of $300 for my first device. I'm narrowed my shortlist to the devices in the title. Can anyone tell me if one stands out or is better than the others or are they more or less similar in terms of performance, ease of use and robustness? Are there other devices I should be looking at?
P.S> Apologies for posting a second time. I can't seem to move my first question into the correct forum.

Upvote 0

MisterHelix

Feb 23, 2024
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex Ultra
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a similar budget and went with the Nokia Simplex Ultra. It was $330, plus a pinpointer. The controls are pretty easy to learn, and it’s helped me find hundreds of relics and coins in the past 30 days.

I have no experience with the other brands, so I cannot help you decide on one over the other. I’m sure they are all decent machines.

Good luck choosing, and have fun out there!
40D9BBC0-A052-4780-AE8E-5A29932D1052.jpeg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of those choices, I'd go with the Simplex.

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I would not suggest the fisher 22. The recovery speed is slower than Santa. It would be a waste of money that you'll regret later on. Fisher makes good products, except the 22. I'd say Garrett definitely. It's relatively simple compared to others yet reliable.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check out this deal

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your selection I'd go Simplex, but you should look at the new Minelab Xterra Pro.

Woodsy

Oct 26, 2018
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Outlaw, Mojave, Nox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just getting into metal detecting and have a budget of $300 for my first device. I'm narrowed my shortlist to the devices in the title. Can anyone tell me if one stands out or is better than the others or are they more or less similar in terms of performance, ease of use and robustness? Are there other devices I should be looking at?
P.S> Apologies for posting a second time. I can't seem to move my first question into the correct forum.
I would get a minelab x-terra pro, but I would settle for a simplex if I had to. Would rather have the minelab though.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would also say the Minelab XTerra Pro. The only negative things I have read are erratic target ID readings. i will know more soon enough as one is on the way to me now. I recently bought a Nokta Legend, and it has been a good detector too. I also looked at the Simplex as a 3rd detector but decided on the XTerra Pro. Who know though, may get it and hate it. Yet to be seen until it arrives and I use it. It's hard to beat though on paper and for the money.
About the cheapest ways you can get into a multifrequency detector are the Minelab Equinox 600, Nokta Legend, and the Nokta Score. Don't forget that if you have used Paypal for a long while and buy from certain detector shops online they will offer a Pay in 4 payments deal through paypal. That is another way to get into a more desireable unit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread