I want to get a 2nd Detector

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
I want to get a 2nd detector. I am kind of picky on what I want and don't want.
I want a full color HD LCD Display, Removeable battery Pack, Wireless headphones, headphone jack, rechargeable Battery Packs, AA Battery Pack, I would be detecting in the woods for relics, coins, jewelry. maybe waterproof, multiple coils available
I don't want- non replaceable battery pack, proprietary headphone/ without a headphone plug, battery powered coils, wireless coils, wireless control box, plastic control box. I don't want expensive coils(Over $200).
I'd rather have something Made in the USA. and priced in the $800.00 range or less
I would go with Garret, but I don't like the all plastic cases and lack of a Full color Display. The Apex seems cool, but I don't like the color or the non replaceable battery pack. AT Max looks okay, but it is all plastic no color display
I Like the way the VDI's are on my V3i and that I can knock out any number from -95 to 95, and not a group of 5 that the garrets seem to do. I like the way that I can change the sound of every VDI on my V3i, but that doesn't seem to be the case with any other detectors. I like stereo mixed mod.
I used to own and use the DFX,XLT,MXT Pro,V3i, 2 coinmasters(old and new one)(Didn't like the plastic case of the coinmaster, Classic 5 ID,BH 300 and another but I forget what it was.
I have considered Fisher Research, Garrett, Minelab, XP, Nokta... XP, MInelab, and Nokta are either too much money, no color LCD(most of them), proprietary hardware, coils that are in the $300-400+ range, too much plastic, too lightweight, don't seem to be sturdy. Fisher and Garret haven't updated or made a new detector in 12 years or more. White's are out of business due to people not buying made in USA Brand(buying the other detectors), and the fakes.
I did like my DFX and MXT Pro a lot. Support is almost non existent for Whites Detectors. Garret isn't doing anything with the White's Company they bought and from what I was told at one of their live streams, they do not plan to do anything with the White's Brand(patents,etc.) Garret is coming out with a new detector, but that could be 6 months or 3 years from now. Will it carry any Patents or software or hardware from the Whites side? I have considered the Minelab CTX3030 for its color LCD, but at $2000+ and mostly all plastic :-( Plus ML is one of the brands that helped push Whites out of business(Stiff Competition)
I am not one of these guys that will go for the latest and greatest shiniest, lightest newest machine just because, nor one that will use any brand even if it is or could be faster and deeper than the old. I don't need the latest tech. I am open to new machines with these things but I wont jump right on them. I am still upset that people who bought the other brands helped put Whites out of business, I am upset that Covid and lack of supplies helped put whites out of business, I am upset that the Chinese knock offs helped put whites out of business, I am upset that people are no longer for the American people and their products that bought other brands and the Chinese knock off that helped put Whites out of business. Sure Whites business model could of been better. Sure they could of Advertised their prices and sold more openly. Why did I have to look for a dealer, and call a dealer up to ask about the Whites product that I was interested in?
I was going to go for a XP Dues 2 but with its $1,600 price, $400 coils and no color display and more. I cant. I was going to go for the ML CTX 3030 with the color display, but $2,000+ it is way over priced and it came out, what 2012? I was thinking the Manticore, but still overpriced, not made in the USA as the other ML and XP aren't either.
Some of you might say quit whining, or buy a ML or XP or Nokta, or save your money. Some might say buy a garret if you want made in USA, or a Fisher F75, I would but they aren't Whites and they don't have a color display. and some will say buy another V3i or even an MXT Pro or MX Sport.
I want to try another brand but I don't at the same time. I am pretty upset that Whites is out of business and this is the first time that I can whine and complain about it.

Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want a full color HD LCD Display, Removeable battery Pack, Wireless headphones, headphone jack, rechargeable Battery Packs, AA Battery Pack, I would be detecting in the woods for relics, coins, jewelry. maybe waterproof, multiple coils available
I don't want- non replaceable battery pack, proprietary headphone/ without a headphone plug, battery powered coils, wireless coils, wireless control box, plastic control box. I don't want expensive coils(Over $200).
I'd rather have something Made in the USA. and priced in the $800.00 range or less
I would go with Garret, but I don't like the all plastic cases and lack of a Full color Display. The Apex seems cool, but I don't like the color or the non replaceable battery pack. AT Max looks okay, but it is all plastic no color display
I Like the way the VDI's are on my V3i and that I can knock out any number from -95 to 95, and not a group of 5 that the garrets seem to do. I like the way that I can change the sound of every VDI on my V3i, but that doesn't seem to be the case with any other detectors. I like stereo mixed mod.
I used to own and use the DFX,XLT,MXT Pro,V3i, 2 coinmasters(old and new one)(Didn't like the plastic case of the coinmaster, Classic 5 ID,BH 300 and another but I forget what it was.
I have considered Fisher Research, Garrett, Minelab, XP, Nokta... XP, MInelab, and Nokta are either too much money, no color LCD(most of them), proprietary hardware, coils that are in the $300-400+ range, too much plastic, too lightweight, don't seem to be sturdy. Fisher and Garret haven't updated or made a new detector in 12 years or more. White's are out of business due to people not buying made in USA Brand(buying the other detectors), and the fakes.
I did like my DFX and MXT Pro a lot. Support is almost non existent for Whites Detectors. Garret isn't doing anything with the White's Company they bought and from what I was told at one of their live streams, they do not plan to do anything with the White's Brand(patents,etc.) Garret is coming out with a new detector, but that could be 6 months or 3 years from now. Will it carry any Patents or software or hardware from the Whites side? I have considered the Minelab CTX3030 for its color LCD, but at $2000+ and mostly all plastic :-( Plus ML is one of the brands that helped push Whites out of business(Stiff Competition)
I am not one of these guys that will go for the latest and greatest shiniest, lightest newest machine just because, nor one that will use any brand even if it is or could be faster and deeper than the old. I don't need the latest tech. I am open to new machines with these things but I wont jump right on them. I am still upset that people who bought the other brands helped put Whites out of business, I am upset that Covid and lack of supplies helped put whites out of business, I am upset that the Chinese knock offs helped put whites out of business, I am upset that people are no longer for the American people and their products that bought other brands and the Chinese knock off that helped put Whites out of business. Sure Whites business model could of been better. Sure they could of Advertised their prices and sold more openly. Why did I have to look for a dealer, and call a dealer up to ask about the Whites product that I was interested in?
I was going to go for a XP Dues 2 but with its $1,600 price, $400 coils and no color display and more. I cant. I was going to go for the ML CTX 3030 with the color display, but $2,000+ it is way over priced and it came out, what 2012? I was thinking the Manticore, but still overpriced, not made in the USA as the other ML and XP aren't either.
Some of you might say quit whining, or buy a ML or XP or Nokta, or save your money. Some might say buy a garret if you want made in USA, or a Fisher F75, I would but they aren't Whites and they don't have a color display. and some will say buy another V3i or even an MXT Pro or MX Sport.
I want to try another brand but I don't at the same time. I am pretty upset that Whites is out of business and this is the first time that I can whine and complain about it.
Well I guess is if Whites had kept up with the technology, the fact the ergonomic features were not their strongest points. They probably would have a foot in the door of available/viable detectors today.

Have a look in the for sale forum-there's 3 top end detectors for sale under $1000 Nox900, 2 Deus ll. NEW!

Getting a steel box on the end of a metal pole days are long gone. Light weight is the way to go, hours on hours of swinging without fatigue is great. Sure swing the minicab 3030 @ nearly 6 lbs, or swing a Deus ll at 2 lbs. Yes the CTX sits in the cabinet unused for 9 yrs.
(Thought it wasn't working-but it was-just cable connection fault by user)
Will sell shortly also when lower shaft is found.

Why so heart set on a colour screen?

Last edited:

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

OK.... What's your second choice? 🤨

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
Well I guess s if Whites had kept up with the technology, the fact the ergonomic features were not their strongest points. They probably would have a foot in the door of available/viable detectors today.

Have a look in the for sale forum-there's 3 top end detectors for sale under $1000 Nox900, 2 Deus ll. NEW!

Getting a steel box on the end of a metal pole days are long gone. Light weight is the way to go, hours on hours of swinging without fatigue is great. Sure swing the minicab 3030 @ nearly 6 lbs, or swing a Deus ll at 2 lbs. Yes the CTX sits in the cabinet unused for 9 yrs.
(Thought it wasn't working-but it was-just cable connection fault by user)
Will sell shortly also when lower shaft is found.

I like color screens. If done right. A color screen can have more info in the form of a quick glance. Lets say you are metal detecting with something say Stereo mixed mode where it detects the ALL Metal part and the discriminated part. The all metal part that has been discriminated out in the discrimination, would show up as Red Numbers,(the possible color if it isnt sure would be red and maybe orange or close to red, maybe a different shade of red. and in the sections that are not discriminated out(good Targets) could be different colors, green is good target, blue is gold/aluminum. The colors could be changed and based on the frequency, they could be changed based on frequency.
Whites V3i was ahead of its time for years after.
Ergonomics? I am 5'10, 170 lbs, and arms as small as a soda can. Swinging my V3i for 6+ hours isn't a problem. Sure it was a little heavy, but easily manageable. If the balance is good, then swinging 6-9 lbs. shouldn't be a big issue, as it will enlarge those shoulder muscles and forearms and make them stronger.
I am older now, and a lighter detector may be handy, but too light has its draw backs.

Steel Tonka Truck or Plastic Tonka Toy? Which one would you choose? Steel old school Lunchbox or Plastic old school look lunch box? Steel and glass Thermos(old school) or new school plastic and steel Thermos?
I have used my dads old ML Explorer XS and though it was lighter and the sounds were nice, there was something about it that I didn't like. maybe it was b/c of it being mostly plastic.
I did say I am picky.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was looking for another detector in 2008, stopped in Kelly-co in FL.
Spoke to a salesman for a good length, that I had only ran with Whites detectors since day one.
Yes just about every model that they going-so I knew Ken White had done me well for many recoverable targets.

The sales fellow showed me the whites ? (Forget the model now) but I bought the Minelab SE.

Personally it was just a weird duck getting use to it in the beginning. The only thing I could say I knew how to swing and dig. Besides that every thing was new-sounds, technology basically.

I bought the next 2 series the ETrac then the 3030.
The deus l then the Deus ll have trumped the Minelab since then.

Detecting with the 3030 for 10-12 hrs a day for 10-14 days straight.
The arm doesn't last, nor the back, the knife pain that sticks in between shoulder blades.
Do miss the long days but not the pain:laughing7:

Interesting read on the colour display option.
I will have to say that some stated 15 yrs back to me-just put a cover over that display and learn the sounds in what the detector is telling you.
Truth is they were right, sounds first-visual second.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IDK. I am Looking at the F75 LTD Black Edition or the AT Max with z link headphones and pinpointer, or another V3i with wireless headphones or an MXT All Pro
Like to see to your 3rd choice line up :laughing7:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
againOhh i forgot about the Whites TDI
We get set in our ways, on what we like, or what works for us all.
(something like the make of an automobiles)

The best detector out there is the one that the operator has put a 1000 hours of use on it.
That one tops the list as being a real good recovery machine.

I still :icon_scratch: do this often reading where somebody has just bought the latest machine-every coil made for that machine-yet they had just done the same thing a few months before-then they repeat that again over and over.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I got interested and started researching MDs last fall, I was kind of surprised that the whole industry hadn't gone color by now, especially on high-end (over $1K) models.

It kind of makes me wonder what other obsolete tech (MOS 6502? 🤣) might be in these little boxes....

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We get set in our ways, on what we like, or what works for us all.
(something like the make of an automobiles)
+1
I still :icon_scratch: do this often reading where somebody has just bought the latest machine-every coil made for that machine-yet they had just done the same thing a few months before-then they repeat that again over and over.
Some trade cars every other year, too.

I'm giving myself 5 years (length of the XP warranty) to learn this machine & hobby.

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
When I got interested and started researching MDs last fall, I was kind of surprised that the whole industry hadn't gone color by now, especially on high-end (over $1K) models.

It kind of makes me wonder what other obsolete tech (MOS 6502? 🤣) might be in these little boxes....
I know right. The Whites Vision came out in 2009, V3 in 2010 and Name changed again to V3i shortly after. ML ctx 3030 is the only other one that I know of that has a color screen under $2500. GPZ 7000 does but that is what $9-10k?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know right. The Whites Vision came out in 2009, V3 in 2010 and Name changed again to V3i shortly after. ML ctx 3030 is the only other one that I know of that has a color screen under $2500. GPZ 7000 does but that is what $9-10k?
$12,149.00 Canadian
7.32 lbs
3ft then you dig a pulltab 🤣

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be a wise buyer
Lots of great used out there. 1/2 the price.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
+1

Some trade cars every other year, too.

I'm giving myself 5 years (length of the XP warranty) to learn this machine & hobby.
You should have it down pat by then no problem.
If you detect regularly or if it sits in the closet will determine what you learn.
I got my Deus ll in the fall of 2022.
Still learning how to get the most out of it.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your V3i is the cat's meow, why do you need or want another detector? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
If your V3i is the cat's meow, why do you need or want another detector? :icon_scratch:
It is acting up and so is the TRX Pinpointer. Also I want something new. I guess I could send it out for a tune up and check over.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is something to be said about old tech verses new tech if you want to call it that, for me detecting was getting very boring with this so called Whiz Bang new tech, so called new tech detectors have a bit of old tech in them nothing has really changed with these other than they are a hand held computer, which personally as I stated I have grown very bored with, I have recently gone back to old tech or what many would call old tech, I have switched back to a couple of new tech beep and dig detectors and for me Detecting is starting to become fun again

the two detectors I have switched two are the Deep Tech Vista X and the Golden Mask Pro 4 WD and I am loving them both, no computer screen to look at, they are just as deep as these so called Whiz Bang new tech computer screen detectors, and in a lot of cases i am finding my two Beep and dig detectors to be Deeper on targets that are heavily masked by ferrous targets, the two detectors I am now using can pull a coin out of a mess of nails and screws with no problem at all

I know people think I am crazy and that is ok, I do not have to prove anything to any one, i only had to prove it to myself, which I have done, yes I still have some of my so called top of the line whiz Bang detectors that have a hand held computer attached that gives you jumpy target IDs and run so unstable that they are UN Usable a lot of times, but they are now sitting collecting dust against a wall in my house, why because they for me became just UN fun to detect with, and that is what the two beep and digs have done for me is make detecting fun again, and personally for me the reason I am having fun with these two beep and dig detectors is probably due to being a nugget hunter, and running the Axiom and Garrett 24K most of the time those also are pretty much a beep and dig detector, for me personally it is all about the tone of a target, and yes I have on occasion glanced at those jumpy TIDs on my whiz bang top of the line hand held computer chipped new tech detectors, but I never really made a dig no dig decision based on those jumpy TIDs, it was all about the tones for me all the time and that is what these two new beep and dig detectors have done, they have taken that dig no dig decision and placed it back in my mind instead of a hand held computers mind.

Sorry for the Long Rant

OP
OP
mgtmadness

mgtmadness

Dec 25, 2009
Bath ,NY
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i
There is something to be said about old tech verses new tech if you want to call it that, for me detecting was getting very boring with this so called Whiz Bang new tech, so called new tech detectors have a bit of old tech in them nothing has really changed with these other than they are a hand held computer, which personally as I stated I have grown very bored with, I have recently gone back to old tech or what many would call old tech, I have switched back to a couple of new tech beep and dig detectors and for me Detecting is starting to become fun again

the two detectors I have switched two are the Deep Tech Vista X and the Golden Mask Pro 4 WD and I am loving them both, no computer screen to look at, they are just as deep as these so called Whiz Bang new tech computer screen detectors, and in a lot of cases i am finding my two Beep and dig detectors to be Deeper on targets that are heavily masked by ferrous targets, the two detectors I am now using can pull a coin out of a mess of nails and screws with no problem at all

I know people think I am crazy and that is ok, I do not have to prove anything to any one, i only had to prove it to myself, which I have done, yes I still have some of my so called top of the line whiz Bang detectors that have a hand held computer attached that gives you jumpy target IDs and run so unstable that they are UN Usable a lot of times, but they are now sitting collecting dust against a wall in my house, why because they for me became just UN fun to detect with, and that is what the two beep and digs have done for me is make detecting fun again, and personally for me the reason I am having fun with these two beep and dig detectors is probably due to being a nugget hunter, and running the Axiom and Garrett 24K most of the time those also are pretty much a beep and dig detector, for me personally it is all about the tone of a target, and yes I have on occasion glanced at those jumpy TIDs on my whiz bang top of the line hand held computer chipped new tech detectors, but I never really made a dig no dig decision based on those jumpy TIDs, it was all about the tones for me all the time and that is what these two new beep and dig detectors have done, they have taken that dig no dig decision and placed it back in my mind instead of a hand held computers mind.

Sorry for the Long Rant
How do you like the Garrett 24k? Is it good for coins, jewelry and relics?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions