scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As I have seen many new members asking about a good starter detector, and many members on here commenting about there Ace 250, I have finally seen one up close and personal, I have to add my two cents. So I am detecting a guys yard when his neighbor comes over and introduces himself and watches me detect for awhile. He then says that he has a detector and invited me to come to his yard that he has hunted to death, he claimed. I went to his yard and started looking around with my V3i, he returns with the trusty 250 in hand. First impression was that it looked cheap, I mean toyish cheap. Then as I am looking he states that all he ever found was beer tabs. I found 10 coins in about 20 minutes, while he found nothing. He got so discouraged that he told me to keep on looking, but he knew he wasn't even in my class. He stayed and watched for a little longer then went back in the house. He even got me permission to hunt his mothers yard next door.

As far as what I could see, he couldn't make heads or tells out of the random bell tones that he was hearing. If I found a signal that I thought was a coin, I would call him over and let him scan it before I dug it. Only about 4 out of ten did he even get a response. Vice versa all of the signals he found, mine showed them as trash or were completely discrimed out as iron. That detector was annoying as hell to listen to. I wouldn't give $50 bucks for one of those much less $250. If you are over the age of 12 you will be doing yourself a disservice buying a 250. Mind you I am not bashing them just to be, I really respect Garrett as a brand, but don't fall for this trap. And if that's all that you can afford get a cheap Tesoro or Whites. Or better yet save your money another year and get a $500 plus machine. If I had started with one of these I can promise you that I would not be detecting today. You get what you pay for.

Ps- I love my Garrett Pro Pointer! Not brand bashing.\
Pss- I found 3 quarters, 3 dimes, 5 wheat, and 9 copper/zincs. Have not got to the backyard yet.

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either way the ace series is a waste of money that I can't even sell.

Yea just bc its easy isn't always s good thing.
Easy isn't always a good thing?...easy means its not hard...never mind,why am I trying to explain this?...Im done...you will figure it out one day...maybe.

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I was blessed with a Tesoro from my dad at an early age, I believe it was a $300 machine n the mid to late 80's, It still works very well. If I had to put up with the way the 250 sounds and works...I am pretty sure I wouldn't have stuck with detecting all these years. I think if you had the 250 and the Silver u max side by side, 90% would choose the Tesoro, Don't believe the hype from a t.v. show. If I can save just one person from making a bad choice, then my work here is worthwhile. And for all you 250 lovers out there, keep on doing what your doing, its too late to save you ;)

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I guess I was blessed with a 1991 Mustang GT Convertable I bought myself at 18, I believe it was $7000 in late to late 90's, It still runs very like a top now. If I had to put up with the way the a Camaro sounds and runs...I am pretty sure I wouldn't have stuck with American cars all these years. I think if you had the Camaro and Mustang side by side, 90% would choose the Mustang, Don't believe the hype from t.v. GMC still owes me $31,0000, build such garbage big brother had to save them, and noone was willing to take a chance on buying them out. If I can save just one person from making a bad choice, then my work here is worthwhile. And for all you GMC lovers out there, keep on doing what your doing, its too late to save you
wink.png

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure like my Chevys then. Lets just all agree to disagree. And yes Scotty I looked into the light and got blinded by one of those ridiculous tv shows. It didn't take long I was able to pull myself out of it rather quickly and bought my Vaquero!

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy isn't always a good thing?...easy means its not hard...never mind,why am I trying to explain this?...Im done...you will figure it out one day...maybe.

Figure what out? I made the mistake of buyin an ace. I'm guessin on how defensive ur gettin u must use one. Boy I really feel bad for u. Its just like everything u get what u pay for.

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Figure what out? I made the mistake of buyin an ace. I'm guessin on how defensive ur gettin u must use one. Boy I really feel bad for u. Its just like everything u get what u pay for.

Well like people have said its a matter of opinion....a vs b.

GM build such garbage vehicles they took 51 billion dollars from the tax payers to save their rear, much of that will never be repaid. So you pay what for what you get ...vehicles that even after 51 billion dollar to help are still driving their company to bankruptcy fast. Just my opinion of any and all GM products.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 05 caddy cts is made by gm & im happy as a pig in s%it

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is an electro scope?

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I was blessed with a 1991 Mustang GT Convertable I bought myself at 18, I believe it was $7000 in late to late 90's, It still runs very like a top now. If I had to put up with the way the a Camaro sounds and runs...I am pretty sure I wouldn't have stuck with American cars all these years. I think if you had the Camaro and Mustang side by side, 90% would choose the Mustang, Don't believe the hype from t.v. GMC still owes me $31,0000, build such garbage big brother had to save them, and noone was willing to take a chance on buying them out. If I can save just one person from making a bad choice, then my work here is worthwhile. And for all you GMC lovers out there, keep on doing what your doing, its too late to save you

Lol. You're right about the 90%- MAYBE. But that's because it's cheaper than the Camaro, and they don't know any better when it comes to performance.

Big brother saved GM and Dodge, but Ford narrowly avoided having to ask for a bailout as well. But no one ever likes to talk about that.

Do you really think quality caused the downfall of GM? Dodge? No, because all of the big 3 were in trouble at the same time.

The oil companies caused that. Staunch rightist will tell you that Obama is the reason Gas prices went up, but that's a different argument entirely- but it happened in mid-late 2003. And it happened OVERNIGHT!

People had been buying the hell out of big trucks, SUV's, and sports cars, and sales were increasing- with production lines running at full capacity- then pow- $4.38 a gallon.

Dealerships were brimming with Excursions and Yukons and Big Horn edition Rams that customers wouldn't touch with an Ace 250 extended to max length.

All the big 3 were hurt, but because Fords assembly lines don't produce as much as Dodge and GMs they weren't stuck with as much inventory.

THE TRUTH!

On a side note the Mustang is the worlds best selling sports car -EVER- OF ALL TIME. - is that a good thing? Well for Ford it is, they e made a lot of money on Mustang sales over the years. But it also causes a "dime a dozen" effect...... Meaning; if you go out and buy a new Mustang today ( or back in 1991) chances are you will pass a car (or 5) exactly like yours before you get home with it.

Like I used to tell all my buddies who had stangs- it's hard to stand out in a herd.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
If you don't like my Ace 250, please feel free to forward me, via paypal, cashier's check, or hard cash, $1,000 or more, and I'll go buy whatever brand you want me too.

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this on how good the ace is for u.
Went out to a spot where my buddy went with his ace when I first started. Now I'm using my safari, I get an amazing signal I dig and out pops a 1837 LC. He took his ace over this spot a few times and never rang up on his ace.

I guess I'm gonna have to go back over every spot we hit with aces and get what we missed.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not sure these battles will ever end, but how much time does ur buddy have with the ace? There are those that use them & find a great deal in items there almost all the same just like all car run on gas, all detectors run on batteries both have the same principal just different design,both gonna get to the same place 1 mayb faster but still gonna get there. I Guess I still dont understand bashing on detectors Fine u dont like it we get it but y waste the time typing a story on y u hate it when u could just pass over it dont look especialy when ur not even using the brand y r u even posting when u should b posting on the brand u use. Theres allways gonna b something bigger & better we just cant all afford the greatest & use What we can & like. The other thing is What if the shoe was on the other foot it seems if u have an upgrade to a detector then it makes it alright to pick on a lower model now What happens if someone has one better then u should he or she say ur sux cuz it doesnt have a gps or wireless option color screen?

cedar6712

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous brands, with an endless number of different features and models, with countless price points. There will never be a consensus as to the best MD for everyone. That's up to each individual to decide based on their budget and their personal preferences. The old expression, "to each his own" aptly applies in this situation, and I personally wouldn't begin to criticize anyone over their choice, simply because it would be rude and condescending.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are numerous brands, with an endless number of different features and models, with countless price points. There will never be a consensus as to the best MD for everyone. That's up to each individual to decide based on their budget and their personal preferences. The old expression, "to each his own" aptly applies in this situation, and I personally wouldn't begin to criticize anyone over their choice, simply because it would be rude and condescending.

Agreed & well said

OP
OP
scotty544

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This post was not intended to bash people who have the 250 it's to keep any one else from getting one and having a bad case of buyers remorse. Go tryout some other brands. Don't Think just because they use Garretts on diggers that they are the best and only way to go. If you are dead set on getting one I am sure that there are many people on this website that would make you one hell of a deal on a slightly used closet kept model

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I had a 350 that i kept just over allotted time to return it. I was fortunate enough to trade in on Tejon and got full credit. It was a fairly deep seeker (as deep as ATP I had at time) just hated sounds. And screens are a waste of battery power and digging time, once you understand descrimintion. IMO

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this on how good the ace is for u.
Went out to a spot where my buddy went with his ace when I first started. Now I'm using my safari, I get an amazing signal I dig and out pops a 1837 LC. He took his ace over this spot a few times and never rang up on his ace.

I guess I'm gonna have to go back over every spot we hit with aces and get what we missed.
You are so clueless to what everyone is talking about that its funny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread