Garrett AT Gold

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would talk to one of the supporting vendors or check out Garret's site. I know it can be used for prospecting, just not good on salt beaches from what I have read. Good luck!

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen much on this Detector but has anyone used this and if so, what are your thoughts on it, is it suitable for prospecting, beach combing etc;?

I have an AT Gold. I bought it about 6 months ago. I am a novice but I like the machine. It is made for prospecting for nuggets, but works good on coins and relics. I am told it will work ok on dry sand beaches, but not in salt water or wet salt water sand. It will work in fresh water streams or lakes and can be submerged up to 10 feet. The AT Pro on the other hand is not rated for salt water, but it can be used effectively in salt water in spite of that. This is what I was told by a Garrett dealer.

OP
OP
Truffles_EOD

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Started with Garrett AT/Gold, 2 x Scuba Tectors for shallow water while swimming along the beaches, now have Equinox 800 and starting to find decent items!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks WVPapaw... I am 99% going for the AT Gold at the moment, hopefully pay for it next Monday...

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks WVPapaw... I am 99% going for the AT Gold at the moment, hopefully pay for it next Monday...

I got mine at miller MDZ. he threw in some goodies and gave me a great price.

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II ...Minelab SDC2300... Minelab CTX3030 and for the missus a Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I rate my AT Gold very high..I use it with the NEL Hunter coil. My wife uses the AT Pro. The AT Gold does go down just that bit deeper then the AT Pro and is a great machine for doing over the old teamster and gold sites near where we live. It also operates at a slightly higher frequency then the AT Pro. It wont handle the wet salty sands at the beach like the AT Pro but is ok on dry sand. The areas where we have gold here are heavily mineralised and the AT Gold with its ground balance window handles it great where as the AT Pro will struggle. So in short if you wont be putting it in salt water and are looking for gold/ coins/relics then the AT Gold is for you. If you going to do beaches and want to target coins and relics then the AT Pro would be your weapon of choice.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Truffles_EOD

Truffles_EOD

Aug 4, 2013
Sarajevo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raymond are you finding much Gold with it? and is it possible to tune almost everything out apart from Gold?

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II ...Minelab SDC2300... Minelab CTX3030 and for the missus a Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get enough gold to want me want to go back... where I go there are no other metals and few rubbish items..targets are either gold or relics and so I dig all targets. It is very unwise to discriminate when searching for gold.
nugget1.jpg

Phantom Nugget1.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0028abc.jpg
    DSCF0028abc.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go the Garrett sub forums

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray,
I am about to buy a NEL Hunter coil for my AT Gold that I am buying.

Can you estimate the added depth of the targets versus your wife's At Pro. Does your wife have the same coil on her AT?

What are the numbers you are coming up with on gold Nuggets with your AT Gold. I live in Dahlonega and I want to hunt some trenches from where they used water cannons to strip the sides of hills and mountains. I was thinking of getting the Tornado but I felt that the 12 inch was more versatile in small places.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Steven

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ray,
I am about to buy a NEL Hunter coil for my AT Gold that I am buying.

Can you estimate the added depth of the targets versus your wife's At Pro. Does your wife have the same coil on her AT?

What are the numbers you are coming up with on gold Nuggets with your AT Gold. I live in Dahlonega and I want to hunt some trenches from where they used water cannons to strip the sides of hills and mountains. I was thinking of getting the Tornado but I felt that the 12 inch was more versatile in small places.

I would appreciate your opinions.

Steven

Hi Steven..Sorry for not replying sooner just found your post..... I did some air tests between the two machines. The AT Pro was in Pro mode.. ground balanced and no discrimination. The AT Gold was in 'All Metal Mode' ground balanced and no discrimination. These were my tests for my own curiosity ... distance equals distance from coil to target that would pull you up to investigate and dig....you could hear the target slightly further but it wouldnt pull you up to investigate. The AT Pro had the larger standard coil on (28cmX22cm) and the AT Gold had the Nel Hunter coil.

AT Pro
1 gram gold nugget.....75mm (3inches). 5 cent piece (your dime in funny money)......231mm (9inches). 10 cent piece (your quarter in funny money).......273mm (10 3/4inches).

AT Gold with NEL Hunter coil
1 gram nugget......150mm (6inches). 5 cent piece....281mm (11inches). 10 cent piece.......330mm (13inches).

The numbers that come up are mid forties to high fifties for small gold and up to low sixties for bigger pieces. I dont use any discrimination as all targets are from the old timers and I want to maximize the depth of the detector.

I think the Nel Hunter is the ducks guts and that the Tornado might be just that too heavy for the machine... where the Hunter coil is well balanced...if there's gold under the coil within reach you will find it, you just have to walk over it first.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
raymondj, your gold samples are Very Striking! The specimen gold is just beautiful and much more valuable as is than to crush it to remove the gold from the quartz! You've given some good advice and thank you for sharing pictures of your gold!!.....................63bkpkr

185_8515.JPG This gold is piled on top of a U.S.A. silver half dollar. I found the gold via several methods but I used my GMT coupled with my gold pan to start locating the gold. It was a great couple of weeks out in the back country of Northern California.

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray,
That is beautiful, I live in NJ, you don't get to see that very often.

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply on my query.

I just got my NEL Hunter this Monday or 9/9. All I need is the NEL sharp ace to round out my coil selection.

I have found that I have to use needle nose pliers to get the coil and headphones completely snug. I don't think the machine would be waterproof without this tightening.

I will make a post when I get some results. The heat and humidity here is brutal since we had a really cool Summer. Summer is going away with a last gasp of brutal heat in the 90's. I would rather lick a dog's butt than hunt in 90 degree/90%+ humid weather. Saturday, 9/14, is the first lull in the heat.

I have an odd bit of acreage to hunt this weekend and I will give the Hunter coil a try. I call it the Vulture property that has never been developed since the early 1900's. About 50 vultures sit in this one tree all the time. Historic Aerials says there were houses here at one time. Huge trees cover this property near downtown Cumming, Ga.

I am itching to try out this NEL Hunter coil.

I appreciate the info on the difference between the AT Pro and the AT Gold with the NEL Hunter coil. I would love to visit Aussieland one day.

raymondj

Jun 11, 2013
Batemans Bay NSW AU
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the reply on my query.

I just got my NEL Hunter this Monday or 9/9. All I need is the NEL sharp ace to round out my coil selection.

I have found that I have to use needle nose pliers to get the coil and headphones completely snug. I don't think the machine would be waterproof without this tightening.

I will make a post when I get some results. The heat and humidity here is brutal since we had a really cool Summer. Summer is going away with a last gasp of brutal heat in the 90's. I would rather lick a dog's butt than hunt in 90 degree/90%+ humid weather. Saturday, 9/14, is the first lull in the heat.

I have an odd bit of acreage to hunt this weekend and I will give the Hunter coil a try. I call it the Vulture property that has never been developed since the early 1900's. About 50 vultures sit in this one tree all the time. Historic Aerials says there were houses here at one time. Huge trees cover this property near downtown Cumming, Ga.

I am itching to try out this NEL Hunter coil.

I appreciate the info on the difference between the AT Pro and the AT Gold with the NEL Hunter coil. I would love to visit Aussieland one day.

No worries about the info, hope it helped...well if you decide to come over here do drop me a line and I will show you some great old goldfields hardly hunted in the state forests..we are located about 250 klms ( about 180 miles) south of Sydney...we have a system here where you pay $22 for a permit to prospect in a state forest for a year and away you go... comes with prestine wilderness right down to the very friendly leeches and brown/tiger snakes.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for all the info guys, I just bought a Garrett AT gold with the 5x8 search coil and a pinpointer tool by Garrett. I am looking forward to using it! I have an old Fisher CZ5, and years ago (can't remember date), I had a Whites coinmaster BFO detector in summer 1971, and later a Whites discriminator (1976).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions