Garrett at pro

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it true that it's not good in ocean water? ?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

My limited experience with salt water was somewhat frustrating at best. I manually ground balanced and lowered the sensitivity like some here had advised and it will work. However, it will false like crazy near the surf and if you bump the coil on the wet sand! However, it's no secret that most if not all single frequency machines will have this problem though! Again, I have limited time in and near the salt water so good luck if you go!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hummm! Thanks! Its the saltwater issue that keeps me from making my decision..

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a problem with mine in the salt water, but I have not hunted on a beach with black sand. That being said if your looking for a salt water only detector for the beach there are much better detectors made for that purpose. If you looking for a land detector that you will occasionally take to the beach the ATPro will work great for you. You need two totally different detectors for each task if you want the best of both worlds.

postman_18

Nov 18, 2013
lima ohio
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the post guys im new here and have been thinking of getting a AT pro and you have helped me I think make a decision

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great detector when you learn how to use it! Got to have more than one in the quiver! This is one of them!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never had a problem with mine in the salt water, but I have not hunted on a beach with black sand. That being said if your looking for a salt water only detector for the beach there are much better detectors made for that purpose. If you looking for a land detector that you will occasionally take to the beach the ATPro will work great for you. You need two totally different detectors for each task if you want the best of both worlds.

Great post here too!

Anyone with questions feel free to holler. I will explain the Garrett AT Pro and how to help it hunt in the salt better. Plus get you a nice T-Net discount ;)

Dimendave

Nov 27, 2012
Central Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garret ATP Whites TDI SL.
Fisher CZ-21. Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a ? The AT Pro was my first machine and I'm still learning but can some one explain to me in the simplest of terms what exactly the iron audio is used for Do you turn it on and it tells you its Iron so you don't dig is? Thanks in advance!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my AT Pro at the beginning of the season and have had the best year ever detecting and I have been swinging a coil for 30 years! As a matter of fact I bought a second one just in case anything ever happens to my other one. I have 150 hours on mine now and feel extremely comfortable with it.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the at pro this summer......put down my eldorado umax and began learning the pro.....it's not turning back now! I have found many coins I wouldn't have dug since going to a metered machine. It works best for me with the 5x8 coil. Now I lend out my tesoro to friends who wanna get into detecting and keep my pro for me me me.......
Go for it!

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a second one as a back up, but my first one hasn't let me down

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a ? The AT Pro was my first machine and I'm still learning but can some one explain to me in the simplest of terms what exactly the iron audio is used for Do you turn it on and it tells you its Iron so you don't dig is? Thanks in advance!

When you turn on iron audio and swing over a target you will hear the low iron grunt if there is iron present. You can also use it to ID bottle caps as they will grunt and crack. Larger iron signals ring in as silver some times and iron audio will let you hear the iron in the target.

OP
OP
teammajic

teammajic

Feb 16, 2013
Thanks alot guys yall have helped me make my choice. Time to put the tesoro on the back burner and give the at a try .

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't have any experience with the AT Pro with saltwater,
But if you can overlook what most consider trivial, such as the lack of a backlit display and volume control, it's a solid performer.

The Iron audio is great!

Also, grab a 5x8 coil! Once you use it, you won't go back to the stock one!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another coil to get for it would be the sniper coil you can get up close and personal around pipes without it going off unless you are practically bumping the pipe like in the tot lots. I have the AT gold, basically same machine and I love mine.

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great detector when you learn how to use it! Got to have more than one in the quiver! This is one of them!

I have a question about my AT Pro. When I get a hit on a target sometimes my PP maxes out and stays maxed out even when I move the coil away from the target. I then try to ground balance it again and hit the PP again and it stays maxed out. Can you tell me why this happens? I am using the PRO on the treasure coast on wet and dry sand. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
teammajic

teammajic

Feb 16, 2013
Well i did it !!!! I retired the tesoro and bought me a garrett at. I have been in the yard playing for the last hour and i have learned in that hour that i love it and cant wait till this weekend to break it in right!!! Thanks for all the input guys.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a question about my AT Pro. When I get a hit on a target sometimes my PP maxes out and stays maxed out even when I move the coil away from the target. I then try to ground balance it again and hit the PP again and it stays maxed out. Can you tell me why this happens? I am using the PRO on the treasure coast on wet and dry sand. Thanks in advance.

My apologies about my slow response! I would call Garrett on that one. But try running it past your scoop to see if that changes the sound! Best of Luck!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i did it !!!! I retired the tesoro and bought me a garrett at. I have been in the yard playing for the last hour and i have learned in that hour that i love it and cant wait till this weekend to break it in right!!! Thanks for all the input guys.

Awesome that you are enjoying your new AT Pro! Good Luck this weekend!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats! Be sure to get the 5x8 Pro coil. Its AMAZING!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread