Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Needing to clear my head, and test out a new pair of shoes, I decided to take a long hike yesterday into the deep swamp. My plan was to leave about 5 AM, cross a huge prairie to explore some unknown territory and follow an old loggers trail barely discernable on Google Earth. I was hoping to find the old lost loggers camp. I loaded my pouch and after about 2 hours or so of walking, I jumped a deer. She looked pretty and graceful running and jumping across the treeless prairie. I stood there admiring the deer and a flock of Ibis flying overhead in formation. Suddenly I realized I forgot my Gatorade bottles that I always carry! A quick panic search of my side pockets discovered only 2 small foil drink packs and I was already thirsty. Not wanting to turn back, I figured I would ration my drinks. Afterall, this is not a desert, I thought to myself. Bad idea.

It took me hours to find the old trail thru the cypress trees but I finally found it! This is what I came for! The next few hours I made good time walking down the old trail but it eventually became overgrown with incredibly thick coco plum trees. No fruit this time of year but they survive in these thick pockets protected from winter cold fronts. Not able to get around them, I had to crawl straight ahead for what seemed like a considerable distance. I heard something growl but I couldn't see 10 feet in ether direction. Suddenly a hawk screeched above that started me for a second. I watched him fly away.

Hacking my way down the overgrown trail was more work than I expected. The morning dew was all gone by now. I drank the first drink pac, put the empty foil in my pocket and pushed on. At about 9 or 10 AM maybe, I finally broke into the open and found a secret beautiful swamp area. So pretty and wild, with palms, large ferns, ancient cypress, air plants, orchids, and exotic foilage. I expected to see a dinosaur break the silence and burst onto the scene at any moment. :wink::D I wish I had my camera. I look where a Florida Panther scratched his claws on a cabbage palm trunk. I wondered about the growl I heard earlier.

I waded around the waterhole's edge. The scene was so magnificent, I just had to keep pushing on toward my destination. The water looked clear and the green vegetation and lillies looked picture perfect. Walking the next few miles of Bald Cypress swamp was very slow going. The trees eventually opened up and the sun started beating down. I quickly dismissed thoughts of saving my urine lol. If things got bad I could find water in the deep swamp up ahead. But this was dry season.
I drank my last little drink pac. drink pac strawberry.jpg

Wanting to see where the trail ended, I kept pushing and hacking. The news said a cool front was heading down, so I carried heavy clothes that now seemed like unnecessary baggage. It had to be near 85 degrees. I was hoping for rain. My legs were starting to hurt and I was worried about cramping up. I was so close to the deep swamp but I was already thirsty again and didn't know if the water would be any better there. I struggle to lift my feet that stick in the mud with each step. I thought about the Boy Scout that died out here trying to make Eagle, and he was much younger. Boy Scout dies while hiking in Big Cypress National Preserve » Naples Daily News I said its time to head back. I tried to breathe through my nose but my mouth was already getting dry. I now wished I had brought candy or fruit instead of peanut butter crackers. Its a long way back and maybe I should have tried to collect morning dew in my sweatshirt but it was too late now, too muddy, too hot...

I made good time the next few miles. The sun beat down, my hands cut and bloody from the sawgrass, my feet now have blisters and the buzzards circle overhead. I will never make it back without water. My celphone has no reception out here and Im completely on my own. I need to drink from the cleanest mud hole I can find. I remember the beautiful slough on the way in.

I finally stumbled onto the secret hidden slough. The water looked clean but I could see little fish and floating debris; leaves and such. I washed my face, washed my hands and the cool water felt good on my dry lips. I decided to drink some. I didn't have a cup or container but I saved my empty drink pacs. I cut the top off of both of them to make "cups". I waded into the deepest part carefully so as not to disturb the mud underneath. I was hoping a gator didn't live here, or worse a huge Python. I brushed away the surface and took a scoop. It looked good except for the little black specs and a few wigglys. I need to filter through my shirt. I poured the water through some cloth and into the other drink pac "cup." The end result looked very good. I filtered again and I drank it. It had no taste and was actually good. I filtered and drank a few more cups. Too bad I couldn't carry any with me but I felt I would be able to walk back now.

Nothing too exciting the rest of the way but the water invigorated me. I could see where a large Python slivered along my trail. I wondered if he found any animals to squeeze the life out of. I decided to explore a short distance down a well used deer trail. I wish I had a camera. The trail led to a beautiful Bald Cypress dome. I stood on the edge admiring the huge buttressed trees. Remembering the Python, and looking down where I step, I discovered Alligator bones. The head was intact but the jaw busted in half. Maybe that's how he died in a fight with a larger bull gator? :dontknow:

The long walk out and across the open prairie was tough but I made it back safely before dark. The Gatorade in my cooler tasted great!! I exchanged pleasantries with a few tourists who wondered what I was doing. Lesson learned here. From now on, I will carry a container, preferably metal for boiling and some water filtering and/or iodine purification. Here are some pics of the gator teeth. ;D I'm glad I didn't run into the "dinosaur" that killed him. :o

Attachments

• gator teeth.jpg
    gator teeth.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,545
Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a great story! I was right there with you on that one. I had to go get a glass of water :thumbsup:. That is a beautiful skull and well worth hauling out. I imagine each trip into the swamp will teach a man something new.
Great post !
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TnMountains said:
Man that is a great story! I was right there with you on that one. I had to go get a glass of water :thumbsup:. That is a beautiful skull and well worth hauling out. I imagine each trip into the swamp will teach a man something new.
Great post !
HH
TnMtns
Im not much of a writer, but Im trying. I enjoy trips by myself. Its so remote. IMO, its Gods country. I actually took a few celphone pics, but I dont know how to view on the computer. :dontknow:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ADD A NEW CONTACT IN YOUR PHONE AS YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS AND THEN FORWARD THE PICTURE TO YOUR NEW CONTACT(YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS) HIT SEND AND IT WILL GO TO YOUR COMPUTERS E-MAIL AND YOU CAN POST :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
TnMountains said:
ADD A NEW CONTACT IN YOUR PHONE AS YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS AND THEN FORWARD THE PICTURE TO YOUR NEW CONTACT(YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS) HIT SEND AND IT WILL GO TO YOUR COMPUTERS E-MAIL AND YOU CAN POST :thumbsup:
Ill try it thanks. But I cant text or read emails on my phone but Ill try it.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This is not my pic but a good example of the type of snakes we have to deal with. They need to be irradicated. This monster, found near the canal bank, froze to death from an unusual cold front. Its an aggressive African Rock Python. Over 100 pounds of solid muscle, the only animal in the swamp that can eat it is a large gator or croc. The large gators are considered "keepers of the swamp". The water holes they dig out in the dry season benifit all wildlife

(I removed the pic so it doesnt offend anybody)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Cy Great story! :hello2:

When I am out prospecting, having enough water is critical but I don't like to carry a lot of heavy liquids along.
So if I run out I just add water from a lake, stream, creek, or even a puddle. No need to boil the water and it's easy to carry. :icon_thumleft:

It holds 34oz. and you can buy it at wal-mart. $34.95
filter.jpg

http://www.sawyer.com/water.htm

The Sawyer Inline Water Filter ensures that your water is safe to drink. It filters up to 500 gallons of bacteria-free water from any water source. The filter is -0.1 micron absolute, which offers the highest removal of bacteria, cysts and protozoa. This Submicron Hollow Fiber Membrane Filter uses a cluster of fibrous tubes to filter out 99.99999% of contaminants.

Sawyer Inline Water Filter with 34-Ounce Bottle:

* -0.1 micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
* Highest removal (99.99999%) of bacteria, cysts and protozoa
* Also filters out sediment and other contaminants
* Ensures that water meets EPA and WHO recommended levels
* No iodine required
* No pumping or chemicals
* More effective than pump filters and more convenient

Removes the following contaminants:

* Cholera
* Botulism (Clostridium batulinum)
* Typhoid (Salmonella typhi)
* Amoebic Dysentery
* E. Coli, Coliform Bacteria
* Streptococcus
* Salmonella
* Giardia
* Cryptosporidium

Includes:

* 0.1 Micron Absolute Hollow Fiber Membrane Inline Filter
* 34-oz. polycarbonate bottle with convenient flip-top cap (weighs 7.5 oz.)
* Two extra drinking straws
* Two stainless-steel hose clamps
* Tube re-connector
* Tube adapter
* Detailed instruction sheet

GG~

C

Cappy Z.

Big C, You have the ability to tell a story good enough... as to 'get one lost' during the journey. I suggest you write a collection of your journeys and I am certain many many people would love to take the ride.
:icon_thumleft:

Cap Z.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GoodyGuy said:
Big Cy Great story! :hello2:

When I am out prospecting, having enough water is critical but I don't like to carry a lot of heavy liquids along.
So if I run out I just add water from a lake, stream, creek, or even a puddle. No need to boil the water and it's easy to carry. :icon_thumleft:

Does it kill viruses like hepatitis? Are viruses a real danger in mudholes? :dontknow: Ill check it out at WalMart. I'm thinking of buying the Polar Pure and carry it with a coffee filter for emergencies. Its inexpensive, small, lightweight and easy to carry. Most water purification tablets are only good for 3 months after opening the bottle. Polar Pure has an indefinite shelf life. http://www.polarequipment.com/

Attachments

• polar pure.jpg
    polar pure.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 958

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Does it kill viruses like hepatitis? Are viruses a real danger in mudholes? :dontknow: Ill check it out at WalMart. I'm thinking of buying the Polar Pure and carry it with a coffee filter for emergencies. Its inexpensive, small, lightweight and easy to carry. Most water purification tablets are only good for 3 months after opening the bottle. Polar Pure has an indefinite shelf life. http://www.polarequipment.com/

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Viruses are smaller than the capability of the Sawyer filter to eliminate. That's where the polar pure product is superior, unless you are allergic to iodine. Hepatitis A virus is really only a problem in third world water supplies.

I have consumed many gallons of creek, river, and lake water, through my Sawyer filter bottle over the last 3 years and have been tested to be virus and parasite free as of last year. I will buy a new filter before using my bottle again this year.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GoodyGuy said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Does it kill viruses like hepatitis?

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/manual/water.shtml

Viruses are smaller than the capability of the Sawyer filter to eliminate. That's where the polar pure product is superior, unless you are allergic to iodine. Hepatitis A virus is really only a problem in third world water supplies.

I have consumed many gallons of creek, river, and lake water, through my Sawyer filter bottle over the last 3 years and have been tested to be virus and parasite free as of last year. I will buy a new filter before using my bottle again this year.
According to your link, rotavirus and Norwalk virus (stomach flu) are possibilities. I think the most danger comes from human feces. Like me, you probably get far away or upstream from any human activity.

Attachments

• gator bear island2.jpg
    gator bear island2.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,875
  • gator-python-struggle.jpg
    gator-python-struggle.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,530
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GoodyGuy said:
filter.jpg
http://www.sawyer.com/water.htm

GG~
I went to Wal-Mart to check out the Sawyer, Goody. That thing is huge! I dont have a pocket large enough to carry it. Can I carry it without the container or do you think I could rig it to a smaller container?

I can understand in a desert to carry a large bottle but Im in the swamp and I try to keep as lightweight as possible for long hikes.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually clip mine on with a carabiner.
Sometimes I just use my camelback hydration pak on hikes where I know that's all the water I'll need.

You can just buy the filter separately and and use it with a smaller bottle. :icon_thumleft:

Or take a canteen and boil water in it.
I once saw Bear grylls boil water in a plastic bottle :o

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GoodyGuy said:
You can just buy the filter separately and and use it with a smaller bottle. :icon_thumleft:

Or take a canteen and boil water in it.
I once saw Bear grylls boil water in a plastic bottle :o
Great idea. I could use the filter with my canteen maybe. I didnt see the filters at Wal Mart. Do you have to order them? How much are they?

I think you can boil water in plastic slowly over a fire. But I dont want to boil water. Only as a last resort. Its just money is tight right now.

claymation

Oct 14, 2007
NM
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
This is not my pic but a good example of the type of snakes we have to deal with. They need to be irradicated. This monster, found near the canal bank, froze to death from an unusual cold front. Its an aggressive African Rock Python. Over 100 pounds of solid muscle, the only animal in the swamp that can eat it is a large gator or croc. The large gators are considered "keepers of the swamp". The water holes they dig out in the dry season benifit all wildlife

Looks like they whacked his head off. Pythons at one time were peoples pets, right ? I'm amazed their population has grown enough to be a real danger to anyone.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
claymation said:
Looks like they whacked his head off. Pythons at one time were peoples pets, right ? I'm amazed their population has grown enough to be a real danger to anyone.
Whats your point? ??? Even though a human baby was recently eaten by an pet, the Burmese Python is not considered a danger to humans yet. They have however become a real serious danger to the ecosystem. Wild hogs are gone and small mammals are disappearing fast. The aggressive African Rock Python is expected to be a different threat. Biologists dont know what type of dangerous hybrid will result from cross-breeding. We will have to wait on the Anaconda to see.. We need to kill as many a we can, there is no debating that. Someone may keep an African lion as a pet, but it would be irresponsible to release it when it becomes too large to safely handle.

Yes they are breeding and their population is extremely high enough to cause serious concern.

Attachments

• Python Big Cypress airboat country designated camp 2009.jpg
    Python Big Cypress airboat country designated camp 2009.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 981
  • Python Big Cypress airboat country designated camp 2009.jpg
    Python Big Cypress airboat country designated camp 2009.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 492

claymation

Oct 14, 2007
NM
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
claymation said:
Whats your point? ??? Even though a human baby was recently eaten by an pet, the Burmese Python is not considered a danger to humans yet. They have however become a real serious danger to the ecosystem. Wild hogs are gone and small mammals are disappearing fast. The aggressive African Rock Python is expected to be a different threat. Biologists dont know what type of dangerous hybrid will result from cross-breeding. We will have to wait on the Anaconda to see.. We need to kill as many a we can, there is no debating that. Someone may keep an African lion as a pet, but it would be irresponsible to release it when it becomes too large to safely handle.

Yes they are breeding and their population is extremely high enough to cause serious concern.

Sorry, I thought you were trying to create another monster we have to kill.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
claymation said:
Sorry, I thought you were trying to create another monster we have to kill.
Im sorry I still do not understand what you are trying to say or do you just have an odd sense of humor? :icon_scratch: Dont you watch Discovery channel lol? This is indeed a monster but it wasnt I that created it. ::) Note I removed the picture so as not to offend anyone. I didnt realize the head was "whacked off."

I would be willing to explain anything to you, sir, that you dont understand. But I cant help you if you keep with the off color remarks. I think it would be much better if you just ask questions and I will try to answer them.

This is a serious problem in South Florida and believe me when I say the State of Florida, the FWC, SFWM, the Florida Indians, NPS, ENP and BCNP, fully encourage the killing of these snakes. Its against the law to move them live, they must be killed. You will not find a single biologist or anyone involved that does not realize that this is indeed a monster that needs to be irradicated now.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Cy,

Just wondering if a bounty system has been implemented by the state of Fla. for eradication of Pythons in the everglades?

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
GoodyGuy said:
Big Cy,

Just wondering if a bounty system has been implemented by the state of Fla. for eradication of Pythons in the everglades?
No there is no bounty at this time. Last year hunters were asked to voluntarily kill them and log the GPS coordinates. No guns are allowed in the Everglades National Park and this area continues to be the stronghold for these snakes. . Volunteers are asked to find them by canoe and kill them by hand or capture them live ::) and the Park Service will kill them. I gotta go Ill be happy to answer any questions when I get back. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread