general talk

B

boojagirl

Today my Personal Care Assistant could'nt make it so she sent her friend who is also a P.C.A to help me out and she told me that over by where she is there is a story about an old guy who found out he had cancer and he did'nt want anyone else to get his stuff which was his 2 horses and his money so he shot his horses and burried them and burried his money with them then shot himself, I will have to ask her more to get more details, also the other day I went to radio shack to get something and I saw that they had another detector for sale, I am not sure what kind it is but it is better than what I have, it is about $170-180, I hope it is still there when I can afford it.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
At that price range, probably a Discovery 2200. Do yourself and your wallet a favor, if you're going to buy Radio Shack's line of detectors (Good in my opinion for the $).........buy on Ebay. They sell them alot cheaper.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
How do they know he buried his money? I hope he had a backhoe to bury those horses.One of my neighbor's horses was struck by lightening and killed.Even with a backhoe,it was a very big hole.I can imagine what it would take to bury two horses.

boggle

Apr 7, 2007
Fairfax, VERMONT
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
I had to put down my mare after 26 years and beleive me you wouldn't dig the hole with a shovel. And if there is anything in the same hole it will be down at least 4 to 5 feet, So it might not trigger your detector?? Sorry :'(

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I saw a post on here recently that said Fry's Electronics is selling the Garrett's Ace 250 for 176.00 which would be a great buy. I don't know if you have a Fry's near you but I would check. If not they can be had for around 215.00, at least at my dealer they can.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Ebay is definetly the way to go. I just bought another Whites Quantum II for under $200 on Ebay. I bought my original one for over $450! These are great detectors to start off with.

OP
OP
B

boojagirl

I have never bought anything off Ebay cause I always thought you had to have a credit card to buy or sell anything and I don't have a credit card.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
boojagirl said:
I have never bought anything off Ebay cause I always thought you had to have a credit card to buy or sell anything and I don't have a credit card.

Do you have a bank card? They work too. You do not need to use it. It is just a security measure for all other buyers and sellers. I think you really only need a bank account.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I wouldnt even worry about updating your detector right now, as long as it works ...I used a Bounty Hunter for years and found an unbelievable amount of coins,jewelry and relics with it. My daughter still uses it.

OP
OP
B

boojagirl

I have a savings account but no bank card.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
boojagirl said:
Today my Personal Care Assistant could'nt make it so she sent her friend who is also a P.C.A to help me out and she told me that over by where she is there is a story about an old guy who found out he had cancer and he did'nt want anyone else to get his stuff which was his 2 horses and his money so he shot his horses and burried them and burried his money with them then shot himself, I will have to ask her more to get more details, also the other day I went to radio shack to get something and I saw that they had another detector for sale, I am not sure what kind it is but it is better than what I have, it is about $170-180, I hope it is still there when I can afford it.

You had your electricity off and couldn't pay the bill and had to borrow the money, even one of the great members on this forum offered to let you borrow, to repay when you got the money back....and you are thinking about buying another detector?????? You have some strange priorities there. A single mother with children should be thinking, of keeping a roof over your head, food, and utilities(gas,water, & electricity)...............not a metal detector.
Just my thoughts!!!

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
skydiv said:
she did say when she could afford it.
Skydiv,
Have you read the post she put up about her plight. She had stated that it was not the first time she was without electricity, and had to ask for help. She should be thinking about a small savings account for emergencies, such as this.......not thinking about buying a metal detector.
When she has a bit of savings saved up for a emergency, and then has some more money to spare for a detector, I would say go ahead. Again just my opinion.

OP
OP
B

boojagirl

it's not like my electric gets shut off every month, the last time was about 2 years ago, most of the time I have no problem keeping up.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Dimeman said:
skydiv said:
she did say when she could afford it.
Skydiv,
Have you read the post she put up about her plight. She had stated that it was not the first time she was without electricity, and had to ask for help. She should be thinking about a small savings account for emergencies, such as this.......not thinking about buying a metal detector.
When she has a bit of savings saved up for a emergency, and then has some more money to spare for a detector, I would say go ahead. Again just my opinion.

Dimeman > Without question you have given wise advice and I think that your advice should be seriously considered by Booja.
In all fairness though Booja has not ask for any help among this sites members. She has even declined a generous offer made to her by one of this sites kind members. She may have posted her dilemma, because here you do get good advice from others that become friends. Sort of like daily penpals in a way :) I do think that her metal detecting hobby is good therapy , for her and the girls and for right now it seems to be working pretty good. Even so your advice and opinion is pretty much on track :) We all need to learn how to save for a rainy day.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a mother of two children and after my divorce, I was left financially devastated. My ex-husband got remarried four months after our divorce was finalized, adopted one of his new wife's three children and never paid child support for his own until I took him to court. I was a stay at home mom for the 10 years of my marriage and when it ended, I had a difficult time finding work. It took me about 4 years to pay the attorney who represented me for child support. There were times that I had to borrow money from my parents to pay bills and buy groceries. There was even a time when we did without electricity for a few days until I was able to come up with the money to pay the bill. Let me tell you, those were dark, difficult days and when I look back on them, I just don't know how I managed. Things are better now. My girls are older and more independent, and I'm remarried to a terrific man. I can say personally that while I was going through those hard times, I wish that I had something to take me away from my troubles and give me time and space for myself. When you are a single parent, you are IT. There is no one else to lean on for support. If you don't have an outlet, you will not be the best parent you can be. I remember times when I was tired and stressed and short with my kids just because they needed something from me. I know that it may sound selfish to be thinking of buying a detector when you are having troubles making ends meet. It's not. You need to think of something that's fulfilling for yourself as a person and not just a mother. If you don't have that, you run the risk of becoming resentful of your kids. There's going to come a time in the not to distant future that your kids aren't going to be as dependent on you. They'll have their own lives and their own friends. If you don't invest some time and energy into yourself now, when the kids are gone, there will be nothing of yourself left. That leads to being a bitter and resentful old person. My advice is to research what machine you want and determine how much it will cost. Take what you have left over after meeting all of your financial obligations and put away something each week-even if it's just $10.00. Winters are bad in MN, so set a goal of saving yourself $200 for a new detector by spring thaw. You can do it and you shouldn't have to feel guilty for thinking of yourself. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. Go out and enjoy yourself and enjoy time with your girls-time goes by quickly and they'll be grown before you know it. Life is too short not to treat yourself once in a while, and if a $200 metal detector can give you some joy in your life, be smart about it, but go for it!! Good Luck! ;)

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
boojagirl,

if you'll pay shipping ($15?) i'll send you my old radioshack detector that has served me well free of charge. its an older model with an analog meter and has ground balancing, discrimination, and a few different modes. the coil is submersible but not the electronics box. the owners manual is still available online and you can just download it using the detectors model number. it works fine. still finds coins easily in the tot lots and such. i have an ace250 on its way so that will bring me up to 4 detectors in my collection. you seem to be dedicated since your sticking it out with that basic radioshack model.

PM me if interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread