George Orwell "1984" 1st edition?

jacobwaltz

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I am a new member here and an avid reader. I happened across this wonderful website while doing internet searches to help identify exactly WHAT I have here. The item in question is a hard cover copy of George Orwell's 1984. [images posted below] As you can see from the pictures, no publication date is given, only the copyright date. I purchased the book at a used bookstore for $10. It was in the same area as the cheap paperback books. As far as I can tell, it differs from a first edition only in that it does not say "first edition," and also I have never seen a smooth binding with gilded letters on the spine - the old ones, such as the one posted here previously are an ugly gray cloth color.

I have a hard time believing that this could be from 1949 when I look at the book without the dust jacket. I have not been able to find virtually any info on where the heck this came from though. I did happen across something or other that seemed to indicate a harcourt-brace re-issue in 1977, but the pictures I found of that all had a blue dust jacket. Furthermore, there is no price listed anywhere on the book, so no clue as to if it is a book club edition as far as I know.

Your help is appreciated!

See the other thread that brought me here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/132267-1984-george-orwell-first-edition.html

front_a.jpg back.jpg side.jpg nodj.jpg one.jpg 2.jpg

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread