paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable, this was the last thing I expected to pull out of this field! I had struck out at two sites and was sort of frustrated so I stopped by the field just to kill some time. The spot is rumored to have a 1750's meeting house, but the weeds are almost chest high so I haven't been able to determine if that's true and detecting is a struggle. I had wandered around for almost an hour following deer trails and only found a broken tip to a plow and some sort of modern brass gear. I was headed back up the hill to the car when I got a broken mid-tone. I dug a huge plug through the weeds and flipped it over but the tone was still deeper. I took out a big shovel full of dry, rocky dirt and saw the greenish circle just poking out. Sweet and dandy button; wouldn't it be funny if it was a...

GW 3.jpg

No freaking way! I held it up to the light and sure enough the very faint outline of the shield was visible under the dirt.

GW 2.jpg

A heraldic eagle GWI button! That was definitely it for detecting, at that point I was way too excited to keep swinging.

Because of the dirt I wasn't exactly sure what variety I had. It's been in a field for awhile so the fertilize had has some time to mess with it and I knew whatever detail was left would be super delicate. I ended up carving a small flat blade into a bamboo skewer and scraping off the dirt a little at a time. This left dirt in the low points which gave contrast to the engravings. If I went after the recessed dirt I was sure I would end up with just a brown disc. After some patience I think it turned out fantastic for a field button:

GW 1.jpg

Definitely the heraldic eagle with estoile variety and I think 54 border indentees, but it's tough to tell for sure. No shank, but otherwise little plow damage. Talk about a one in a million target! That entire field, all that tall grass, and the only old signal is pretty much the best thing I could possibly dig!

DSC08080.JPG DSC08081.JPG

Obviously I'll be pounding that field looking for more, but at the moment it really is next to impossible to cover it well with the weeds the way they are. I may have to wait until they brush hog it in the fall and do a proper grid. This will be a long couple of months. :laughing7:

Upvote 57

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a once in a lifetime find! I would bet there are more out there, you just have to find them. Might be time to break out the weedeater and riding mower and mow the field yourself.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beauty! Some of them have made the banner, and I don't know why this one would be an exception .. My vote is in!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty! Some of them have made the banner, and I don't know why this one would be an exception .. My vote is in!

Thank you! Even if it doesn't get up there, it's a banner find for me!

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m voting banner. That’s badassery at its finest. Congrats on a great find.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find. Certainly a banner vote in my book. Yeah what are the odds? Sounds like dumb luck (no offense!) but that is amazing. If I found that I'd call a relic ambulance and probably wouldn't want to touch it. I think you cleaned it up pretty well. Are you going to top it off with some renaissance wax or what? Congrats on that awesome piece of history. I've heard they sold those in sets of 4!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's been quite a few of these GW's this year,why not one more!!! Congrats to ya Max :occasion14:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it, Congrats! Banner all the way!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding! :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find. Certainly a banner vote in my book. Yeah what are the odds? Sounds like dumb luck (no offense!) but that is amazing. If I found that I'd call a relic ambulance and probably wouldn't want to touch it. I think you cleaned it up pretty well. Are you going to top it off with some renaissance wax or what? Congrats on that awesome piece of history. I've heard they sold those in sets of 4!

Definitely dumb luck, 100%! :laughing7: I thought about waxing it, but I'm a little worried the dirt in the grooves would darken and I'd have less contrast. It seems stable enough for now so I may not mess with it further. I will definitely be looking for the rest of the set though! Thanks so much for your vote!

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow Congratulations

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not one bit surprised to see you dig that GWI considering how much material you dig from that time frame and the area where you live. Still it's a bucket lister for any colonial relic/coin hunter. Not to diminish your find, but that pattern seems to be frequently found GWI based on what I have seen posted over the years.
That being said, I would be thrilled to find one :headbang:

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not one bit surprised to see you dig that GWI considering how much material you dig from that time frame and the area where you live. Still it's a bucket lister for any colonial relic/coin hunter. Not to diminish your find, but that pattern seems to be frequently found GWI based on what I have seen posted over the years.
That being said, I would be thrilled to find one

Thank you! It does seem to be a popular design for this region. I know of at least two other detectorists in the Hudson River valley who have dug GWI buttons and both found this variety. I wish there was more scholarly research on these because I get the sense that the styles are distinctly regional.

For instance the interlocking chain variety seems more common around NJ and Maryland and the eagle, GW, and liberty cap style are found around North and South Carolina. That suggests local artisans and direct sales as opposed to button makers mass producing them and shipping them to different cities. It would be amazing if they could be traced back to the specific makers, but there are only vague references to "local artisans" on most historical sites. Seems like it would be a cool subject for an archaeologist to focus on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread