paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable, this was the last thing I expected to pull out of this field! I had struck out at two sites and was sort of frustrated so I stopped by the field just to kill some time. The spot is rumored to have a 1750's meeting house, but the weeds are almost chest high so I haven't been able to determine if that's true and detecting is a struggle. I had wandered around for almost an hour following deer trails and only found a broken tip to a plow and some sort of modern brass gear. I was headed back up the hill to the car when I got a broken mid-tone. I dug a huge plug through the weeds and flipped it over but the tone was still deeper. I took out a big shovel full of dry, rocky dirt and saw the greenish circle just poking out. Sweet and dandy button; wouldn't it be funny if it was a...

GW 3.jpg

No freaking way! I held it up to the light and sure enough the very faint outline of the shield was visible under the dirt.

GW 2.jpg

A heraldic eagle GWI button! That was definitely it for detecting, at that point I was way too excited to keep swinging.

Because of the dirt I wasn't exactly sure what variety I had. It's been in a field for awhile so the fertilize had has some time to mess with it and I knew whatever detail was left would be super delicate. I ended up carving a small flat blade into a bamboo skewer and scraping off the dirt a little at a time. This left dirt in the low points which gave contrast to the engravings. If I went after the recessed dirt I was sure I would end up with just a brown disc. After some patience I think it turned out fantastic for a field button:

GW 1.jpg

Definitely the heraldic eagle with estoile variety and I think 54 border indentees, but it's tough to tell for sure. No shank, but otherwise little plow damage. Talk about a one in a million target! That entire field, all that tall grass, and the only old signal is pretty much the best thing I could possibly dig!

DSC08080.JPG DSC08081.JPG

Obviously I'll be pounding that field looking for more, but at the moment it really is next to impossible to cover it well with the weeds the way they are. I may have to wait until they brush hog it in the fall and do a proper grid. This will be a long couple of months. :laughing7:

Upvote 57

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! It does seem to be a popular design for this region. I know of at least two other detectorists in the Hudson River valley who have dug GWI buttons and both found this variety. I wish there was more scholarly research on these because I get the sense that the styles are distinctly regional.

For instance the interlocking chain variety seems more common around NJ and Maryland and the eagle, GW, and liberty cap style are found around North and South Carolina. That suggests local artisans and direct sales as opposed to button makers mass producing them and shipping them to different cities. It would be amazing if they could be traced back to the specific makers, but there are only vague references to "local artisans" on most historical sites. Seems like it would be a cool subject for an archaeologist to focus on.
Maybe Dave Wise (aka HEAVYMETALNUT) will chime in. He has probably found 8-10 of that variety in Connecticut, and I believe I saw somewhere that he said they were manufactured in Connecticut. It would be interesting to see someone undertake a distribution study on GWIs by type and location where found similar to the NJ Copper study that Don Hartman (aka Don in SJ) did.

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've got to especially love the unexpected find! Congratulations on an excellent discovery!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, very nice, banner vote is in!!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Superb find! Like one I found a few years ago. I had always heard they come in sets of four, but never could find anymore where mine came from. I hope you do have good luck in finding more once it's cut down.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome!! Congrats on a lifetime find- my banner vote is in..

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple additional thoughts: I view these buttons as pretty much the pinnacle of relics one could find in America, have there been any books dedicated to the study of these? I'd buy one. This is a totally useless thought and it's kind of apples to oranges but what would you say is more rare to find MD'ing: A gold coin or a GW button (talking America here as I don't think there have been too many found in Europe).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Albert's button book has a section on GW buttons. I would say the odds of finding either a gold coin or GW button are about the same, PROVIDED you live in one of the original 13 states. Outside that area, I'd say a gold coin. The buttons were so popular at the time additional orders were made for them. On a high note, prices are stable as there are some to choose from these days. Depends on the quality of the piece and who has it.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable, this was the last thing I expected to pull out of this field! I had struck out at two sites and was sort of frustrated so I stopped by the field just to kill some time. The spot is rumored to have a 1750's meeting house, but the weeds are almost chest high so I haven't been able to determine if that's true and detecting is a struggle. I had wandered around for almost an hour following deer trails and only found a broken tip to a plow and some sort of modern brass gear. I was headed back up the hill to the car when I got a broken mid-tone. I dug a huge plug through the weeds and flipped it over but the tone was still deeper. I took out a big shovel full of dry, rocky dirt and saw the greenish circle just poking out. Sweet and dandy button; wouldn't it be funny if it was a...

View attachment 1740152

No freaking way! I held it up to the light and sure enough the very faint outline of the shield was visible under the dirt.

View attachment 1740153

A heraldic eagle GWI button! That was definitely it for detecting, at that point I was way too excited to keep swinging.

Because of the dirt I wasn't exactly sure what variety I had. It's been in a field for awhile so the fertilize had has some time to mess with it and I knew whatever detail was left would be super delicate. I ended up carving a small flat blade into a bamboo skewer and scraping off the dirt a little at a time. This left dirt in the low points which gave contrast to the engravings. If I went after the recessed dirt I was sure I would end up with just a brown disc. After some patience I think it turned out fantastic for a field button:

View attachment 1740154

Definitely the heraldic eagle with estoile variety and I think 54 border indentees, but it's tough to tell for sure. No shank, but otherwise little plow damage. Talk about a one in a million target! That entire field, all that tall grass, and the only old signal is pretty much the best thing I could possibly dig!

View attachment 1740155 View attachment 1740156

Obviously I'll be pounding that field looking for more, but at the moment it really is next to impossible to cover it well with the weeds the way they are. I may have to wait until they brush hog it in the fall and do a proper grid. This will be a long couple of months. :laughing7:
Banner for sure! Great find and great persistence in staying positive and focused!
Jon :occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread