Glass batterys

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Re: Glass battery's

If you mean the glass reservoirs that held acid and plates, they were used to power the early (1920's) radios. I have one that I paid about $20 for, but I wouldn't sell it for under $50--they are getting rare. After all, they are glass and many haven't survived (some looked like small fish tanks). Most had glass lids; if this is missing, it's worth a lot less. Mine was made by Exide, but several other manufacturers made them (like Philco). These things were not very popular with radio users because a little accident meant a ruined carpet or floor and acid on your hands. They were replaced by AC operated power supplies; I'll bet many people were happy to throw those glass batteries in the trash, so few remain today.

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Re: Glass battery's

The phone company still uses "Glass" cells today as back up power, the cases are made from some kind of plastic though, are very large and rated at hundreds of amp hours....

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: They are called "Battery Jars"...

GlassyEyed said:
and were used for many applications...especially along the railroads to power the lights and signals.

You can find a wide variety of them here:

http://www.insulators.info/pictures/search/?folder=0&delta=&query=battery+jars

Sorry for opening up an old thread, but I thought it interesting and it is also part of my hobby/collections.

In the 1920's+, they could be found in a wind generator (32v Wincharger) or the early "Delco-Remy" gasoline powered generator systems. Today, the copper would be costly.

I've seen them on Ebay, but rarely at flea markets down here in Texas. Being the glass was used with acid and in an out-building form make them tossed out when the R.E.A. ran power to farm homes, so they are hard to find.

Plus, when you do find one, the shipping cost due to the thick-wall glass, make them a bit expensive to own...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread