gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
that would have been real hard since it was the first time any of us have been there and it was in a very dry and very hard pasture that is all around the house.and none of us have that kind of money to buy gold coins just to put in the ground.
kim
art of fact said:
I am sorry if I offended you in any way I was only trying to help. My specialty is antiqueties and I noticed that the purse was from a different time. Actually what I believe and didnt want to say because personaly it would upset me even though that wasnt there intention is that someone in your family or a (friend) probably planted it there,Again I did not mean to offend you and I dont think that anyone else did either,I guess it all depends on how you percieve it.Nice finds all the same. Art Of Fact

bdbullets

Jun 15, 2008
Davenport Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White DFX
This is not going to be a very nice reply to some of the comments people have made to this find, especially from "art of fact".

I am Kim's brother and the one that talked him into posting this as I used to be under the impression this was a great site, now I really don't think too much of it anymore.
My son, a friend and myself were with Kim when he found this purse. I do not feel it is right he should have to defend his finds to you people or anyone else.

When one person questions a find many others jump on an degrade it, and that is not right. I was also under the impression this was against the rules of this forum, or do the rules only apply to certain people. To accuse someone that you do not even know of planting it for him to find is B*** S***

You can all rest assured that when these coins come back from grading the results will not be posted here. With the negative comments he has got on this posting I will never post any good finds here either, and neither will any of our group.

We have several miles of the Oregon Trail to hunt in the fall thru the spring and have had open invitations out to go with us on these hunts. Maybe if some of the other members of this forum had taken us up on this you would all know what kind of people we are.

To the members who left the kind words he really appreciates it.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdbullets said:
This is not going to be a very nice reply to some of the comments people have made to this find, especially from "art of fact".

I am Kim's brother and the one that talked him into posting this as I used to be under the impression this was a great site, now I really don't think too much of it anymore.
My son, a friend and myself were with Kim when he found this purse. I do not feel it is right he should have to defend his finds to you people or anyone else.

When one person questions a find many others jump on an degrade it, and that is not right. I was also under the impression this was against the rules of this forum, or do the rules only apply to certain people. To accuse someone that you do not even know of planting it for him to find is B*** S***

If the rules of the forum mean that I cannot tell someone that they have found a fantasy Mexican gold token rather than a real coin, then I will leave the forum. This is a place to exchange information, and if it means posting false information in order to ego-stroke, I for one will not participate in it. I am a grown man, and I can handle what folks say about my finds on here. In fact, I Welcome it. I like as much information as I can get about the things I find, and I'm deeply sorry that not everyone feels the same.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
22 K is an unusual gold rating for North America ,,, More associated with the far east.
Does anyone know if:

* There were karat ratings for these territorial gold coins
I would imagine they would be mostly pure, with some alloy in them for better durability ,,, But there must have been some standards to be adhered to, else people would not have used them as legal tender.

* if 22 K gold ever had a niche in the made in the USA gold market, then or now

* How does one tell if something like this is 22 K, don't they have to scratch it at least ?

Sorry the thread turned out this way, I am leaning towards the skeptical train of thought though.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
bdbullets said:

If the rules of the forum mean that I cannot tell someone that they have found a fantasy Mexican gold token rather than a real coin, then I will leave the forum. This is a place to exchange information, and if it means posting false information in order to ego-stroke, I for one will not participate in it. I am a grown man, and I can handle what folks say about my finds on here. In fact, I Welcome it. I like as much information as I can get about the things I find, and I'm deeply sorry that not everyone feels the same.

Best Wishes,

Buck

I totally agree, I would want as much information on my finds as the folks on here are willing to share as I wish to learn as well. No-one learns if we all say 'nice find', even if it is.

I never doubted he found it, I just gave helpful advice on what I thought some of them were. He has no reason to be upset, does he?. I've had far greater 'real abuse' than any of the helpful comments on this thread (bar 1), & I'm still here. Afterall, people say what they see.

I'm withh BB, if its against the rules to exchange useful information then I too am on the wrong forum. I don't want to pay to be a member of a forum that pats everyone's back with flippant comments. I want informed knowledgeable people who share their wisdom, time & effort on those that wish to learn!

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure of the other coins but the California gold token can be found on ebay starting at $1.99. There are currently 17 of them being offered. Here is one identical to yours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1852-gold-indai...lion?hash=item3ef762f51a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

As others have said, no one is saying that you did not find these, just a possibility that some of the coins/tokens may be suspect. What is wrong with making that observation public? That is how we all learn. A little research can go a long way. It took me all of 10 seconds to find the token online. Personally I would have identified it in the first post as being a token widely available on ebay. Only one reason I would have done that; to let the fine knowledgeable members of this forum know that I have done my due diligence. If you do yours no one can call shenanigans.

habs

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eathabs said:
I'm not sure of the other coins but the California gold token can be found on ebay starting at $1.99. There are currently 17 of them being offered. Here is one identical to yours:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1852-gold-indai...lion?hash=item3ef762f51a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

As others have said, no one is saying that you did not find these, just a possibility that some of the coins/tokens may be suspect. What is wrong with making that observation public? That is how we all learn. A little research can go a long way. It took me all of 10 seconds to find the token online. Personally I would have identified it in the first post as being a token widely available on ebay. Only one reason I would have done that; to let the fine knowledgeable members of this forum know that I have done my due diligence. If you do yours no one can call shenanigans.

habs

Very good point, well made.

bdbullets

Jun 15, 2008
Davenport Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White DFX
art of fact said:
I am sorry if I offended you in any way I was only trying to help. My specialty is antiqueties and I noticed that the purse was from a different time. Actually what I believe and didnt want to say because personaly it would upset me even though that wasnt there intention is that someone in your family or a (friend) probably planted it there,Again I did not mean to offend you and I dont think that anyone else did either,I guess it all depends on how you percieve it.Nice finds all the same. Art Of Fact
This is the post that really upset me to accuse someone of planting it for him to find. The posts with information are great and I don't have any problem with those, good or bad.

syderial

Aug 5, 2009
Whether the coins are real or not, if they are real metal, they have value, and you say 22K right? Sounds like an awesome find, and if it hasn't been buried all that long or the coins are just silver and gold tokens and not money, who cares? It is still cool and exciting, I get excited over finding stuff that is just junk to some people though. So I'm with another poster here, what about the key? I don't think anybody but one person (who said the find was put there intentionally maybe) was suggesting that it's not a legit find, just that some of the coins may not be actual money. So the key!!! Are you going to look for what it goes to? It looks old, maybe you need to revisit the property and see if there might be a lockbox or something around.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of us will go a lifetime without finding a gold coin, when someone finds 4 in one fell swoop, there is bound to be some skepticism ,,, And in this case, I think it is well founded.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
I don,t discount this one. I believe it is real. I wish I had seen it earlier. The container was for some one personal treasures.

It appears as modern. How it got there is a question. Could be a clue to a missing person. What else was found around it???

bdbullets

Jun 15, 2008
Davenport Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White DFX
We are by no means coin experts and don't claim to be. We will be taking the coins to another dealer next week for a second opinon tho. It was an unbelievable find that none of us ever seen the likes of before. The homesite where this was found has not had a house on it as long as any of us can remember (which is a good many years), it is a pasture and has been for at least 40 years that we know of. The 1897 map we have shows a house on this site and that is how we determine where to go and detect, with the owners permission of coarse. The 5 dollar coin measures right on the money and weighs right acording to the redbook. The other coins we know very little about. We have no idea how long it has been burried, nor do we really care. As far as we are concerned this was a spectacular find, regardless what anyone else thinks or believes. We have an eagle eye coil for the 2500's we use and we will be taking it back there to see what else is there, who knows maybe we will find the box the key goes to. It really upset me to see ART OF FACT accuse someone of planting it.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
The key is a railroad lock key, the silver ring is modern. If you know exactly were this was found , look around. Like I said this is a personal treasure stash. Why it is there is a question. It just might have been lost, yet it might be more.
If you find more personal items post them please. It is a strange find on what is said of the area. Any bones?? LOL.

bdbullets said:
We are by no means coin experts and don't claim to be. We will be taking the coins to another dealer next week for a second opinon tho. It was an unbelievable find that none of us ever seen the likes of before. The homesite where this was found has not had a house on it as long as any of us can remember (which is a good many years), it is a pasture and has been for at least 40 years that we know of. The 1897 map we have shows a house on this site and that is how we determine where to go and detect, with the owners permission of coarse. The 5 dollar coin measures right on the money and weighs right acording to the redbook. The other coins we know very little about. We have no idea how long it has been burried, nor do we really care. As far as we are concerned this was a spectacular find, regardless what anyone else thinks or believes. We have an eagle eye coil for the 2500's we use and we will be taking it back there to see what else is there, who knows maybe we will find the box the key goes to. It really upset me to see ART OF FACT accuse someone of planting it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdbullets said:

I totally agree its a fantastic find. I sometimes get a little touchy when I/we try & help & I/we thought you were throwing it back in faces. Now I know what you were upset about, I can sort of understand. Just bear in mind, this forum is a cross-section of society, & we are good & bad...

Stay positive & don't let it put you off, I know I have had a few run in's. But you know the truth & that is all that should matter :icon_thumright:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CRUSADER said:
Just bear in mind, this forum is a cross-section of society, & we are good & bad...

And don't forget, gullible !

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Oh and such as the flying C and b: or F, avoid posting such, LOL They try and keep the place were even a kid can view.
do keep us informed please.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
blurr said:
I'm pretty sure there is a rule against calling someone's finds "fake".

John

Doesn't seem to be the case

Forum rules http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,177876.0.html

When you think about it, it wouldn't make much sense to impose such a rule, as it would nullfy people sharing their opinions, or even offering an opinion.
Everything would have to be accepted at face value, and everything sugar coated, so that no ones toes gets stepped on.

I am not willing to, and in fact have not, outright called this a setup.
I think their are reasonable grounds for suspicion, those suspicions have been voiced, and it is up to individual members to make up their minds what the facts are.

I am not qualified to judge the gold, though I am well aware that high grade fakes have existed for years.
My suspicion is the copper. I have found old coin purses myself with copper and, far from protecting the contents, the material & chemicals used to make the purse tend to leach out, and attack any coins within.
I find it next to impossible to believe that a leather coin purse could be buried for a century +, and the copper comes out looking like it was just dropped out of a pocket last week.
Perhaps not impossible, but not very likely and, combined with the other well expressed doubts, leands me, at this time, to a negative conclusion.

As far as the vintage of this pouch, whether or not snaps were used so long ago ,,, Those are questions I am not qualified to voice an opinion on, I'd like to see more on this, pro or con, from anyone in the know.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
just for your info the indain and egale pennies are nickel not copper look it up in the red book if you do not beleive me.also look at the top of the page there is one called real/fake? http://forum.treasurenet.com/authenticity

Xraywolf said:
blurr said:
I'm pretty sure there is a rule against calling someone's finds "fake".

John

My suspicion is the copper. I have found old coin purses myself with copper and, far from protecting the contents, the material & chemicals used to make the purse tend to leach out, and attack any coins within.
I find it next to impossible to believe that a leather coin purse could be buried for a century +, and the copper comes out looking like it was just dropped out of a pocket last week.
Perhaps not impossible, but not very likely and, combined with the other well expressed doubts, leands me, at this time, to a negative conclusion.

As far as the vintage of this pouch, whether or not snaps were used so long ago ,,, Those are questions I am not qualified to voice an opinion on, I'd like to see more on this, pro or con, from anyone in the know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions