captbonnie

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you all for all the postings and all the interest! Thank you also to all the treasure hunters that have led the way -
when you meet those who believe so in the search, you believe also.

Spent yesterday searching for the missing wing - a lot of slow work, light blowing and moving a lot by hand
No finds and need to be in port today but looks as if weather will hold so should be out tomorrow

So many have asked what the bird is worth - no official appraisal yet but to me it's worth

all the days in the boatyard, the rebuilt Cat, the days and seasons I searched without any finds (2007 I found one musketball)
all the sea urchin spines, and raw fingers, and bent anchors, all the other parts of life I let slide because the goal was to get out there
diving .......well you get the picture

finding a gold bird "priceless" - and for the fuel bills there's credit cards but don't remind me of that now!

Bonnie

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure hope it doesn't take ya as long as it did Mel to hit the big one, if there is another big stash out there.........NGE

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we get some more pictures please.

Treasure $ Trekkies

Mar 28, 2010
Miami Fla
Detector(s) used
whites, 2011 cion master, Whites MXT 300
WoW, Assume find!! I love hearing about the 1715 wreaks. years ago on treasure hunting magazine, there was a young man that found a solid gold vegetable plate off the same place. It is now in the museum in Tallahassee. 1990,, this is what dreams are made of.!! :headbang: :tongue3: congrats

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the nicest finds I have seen lately, beautiful and a mystery with that hollow inside! I wonder what it was used for? HH, Mike

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice...
I would go back to the exact spot and re-work it...slowly and methodically and find that broken wing to complete the piece.
I hope you do find it...it's nice to see the 1715 fleet come back to life :thumbsup:

:dontknow: it has got to be here :dontknow:

Trez

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!

That had to of held something of value!
Awesome find. :notworthy:

GG~

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Really great seeing a smaller dive team find something as great and exciting as this. I imagine you will lose it to the state, but hope they put a real high value on it so your share gives you a very large bonus for your good find. Thanks for the pictures and the story. I hope you have more good luck in future dives.

L

LandStar

I would think the item that went into the center was an incense burner...and the chain was used to swing it much like a modern Catholic incense burner...

HH,

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Landstar may be on to something.

The Spanish Catholic monarchs, Isabella and Ferdinand, used the eagle as a part of the royal shield representing Saint John the Evangelist.

St. John the Evangelist (Apostle) is a disciple of Christ; he followed Jesus after the miraculous draught of fishes on the Sea of Galilee and was with him at the most important moments. At the foot of the Cross he supported the failing Virgin. After the Apostles scattered, he traveled to Asia and settled in Ephesus. There he was arrested and thrown into burning oil, but was unhurt. Under Emperor Dominitian he was exiled to island Patmos, where in the company of an eagle he wrote the Revelations. After amnesty he returned to Ephesus, where he composed his Gospel. There he survived an ordeal set by the high priest of Ephesus: he was unaffected by a beverage concocted from snake’s venom, when offered a chalice, St. John blessed it, and the venom in the form of a snake, was miraculously drawn from the liquid. He is the patron saint of booksellers. In fine arts he is often depicted with an eagle, book (Gospel or Revelation), snake or dragon emerging from a chalice.

Tom

Attachments

• St John with eagle.gif
    St John with eagle.gif
    104.2 KB · Views: 2,256

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Tom may be on to something.

Google John the Baptist Eagle Lectern and look at the images.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I doubt that I can be of much help but I would like to ask a few questions. This is indeed an incredible find, Bonnie, and a mystery.

Did you say it has 3 eyelets- one on the head and one on each wing?

It also appears to have 3 holes dead center in the hinges. The holes must serve a purpose. :icon_scratch: They must be there for a reason.

Anything on the base, hole or eyelet? Will it stand up on its own?

Do the wings move with the hinge? Do you see any wear marks?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread