GOLD RUSH BEGINS TONIGHT

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a boss who said "you are on salary, that means 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year, if we need you to work 72 straight hours you better not fall asleep or you are fired."

After leaving that job, with a few comments, I worked for my Dad in a family business. I went to Maine to play golf with some friends, as we made the turn after 9 he showed up at the 10th tee, he was up there relaxing at his cabin and told me that I had to leave the course and go into Portland to pick up a printer and take it down to Boston, ASAP. My brother who was there said he would do it because he was just up there relaxing with Dad. Dad looked at us and said "I asked Ben to do it, and YOU OWE ME BECAUSE I RAISED YOU FROM A BABY" I guess he felt that he could have left me out for the wolves.
Now in my current job I will go out of my way to do things but I work from the ranch and am right there so it is no big deal.

Your boss who had you on salary is in the wrong! Just because your on salary your boss can't work you like that without compensation. The government set up a 40 hour work week. Even if you have people working salary or piece rate, 40 hours a week is standard.
anything over that and they need to be paid time and a half. People think they can get around paying overtime, but uncle Sam would disagree.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like his two guy's said it's an old piece of equipment, can't get parts for it, needs constant maintenance. Mike and Jerry took it apart very carefully Tony being in a hurry like a bull in a china shop tosses it all off the trucks bends and breaks everything. Can't figure out why it doesn't run right? Now He's got Gene saying he's not impressed with Mike and Jerry! I think that Gene is really smart at some things but I would say He's a better bull worker than a boss. And Tony should be kissing Mike and Jerry's back side for what those two old guy's did!

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My thoughts Tony said he was going to run the dredge 24/7. From the beginning. The two guys that put the dredge together. Decided to stay on to run the dredge. Because there were making more money from Tony. Then they were at hard rock mining. In Arizona. But when the hours increased. They left I don"t think they were ever happy there. They could lay down beside work and go to sleep anyways. It takes the right people its a demanding job. As long as it pay well thats the real Question.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your boss who had you on salary is in the wrong! Just because your on salary your boss can't work you like that without compensation. The government set up a 40 hour work week. Even if you have people working salary or piece rate, 40 hours a week is standard.
anything over that and they need to be paid time and a half. People think they can get around paying overtime, but uncle Sam would disagree.

Sorry, not correct. Try the "right to work state" of FL. I was on salary there and they routinely made us work 50 hour work weeks. They paid us 1/2 time instead of time and a half and laughed because they really didn't even have to do that!

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work 48 hours as standard use to do 100 hours a week as a fish monger i still do to this days 60 hours minimum and still managed to detect ...................plus i run 20km along the river of course.....

I could work for any of those chaps finger in the nose

RR

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like his two guy's said it's an old piece of equipment, can't get parts for it, needs constant maintenance. Mike and Jerry took it apart very carefully Tony being in a hurry like a bull in a china shop tosses it all off the trucks bends and breaks everything. Can't figure out why it doesn't run right? Now He's got Gene saying he's not impressed with Mike and Jerry! I think that Gene is really smart at some things but I would say He's a better bull worker than a boss. And Tony should be kissing Mike and Jerry's back side for what those two old guy's did!

Maybe Gene is smarter than we think. He saw Mike & Jerry as a threat and started working to get rid of them.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, not correct. Try the "right to work state" of FL. I was on salary there and they routinely made us work 50 hour work weeks. They paid us 1/2 time instead of time and a half and laughed because they really didn't even have to do that!

I think the right to work act deals with the unions. And not having to be in one to get work.
There are some on salary who are exempt from over time. They have to meet a certain wage amount per year. And be in a manager position, with at least 2 full time people under them. and be able to hire and fire.
I have never paid salary, I was just remembering what the payroll co. had said about always recording hours even if there salary or piece rate. Sorry about that, I shouldn't have gone off memory alone

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ever heard of production incentives? My guess is that employees are paid a salary or hourly rate plus they get paid a meaningful share of a pool of money at the end of the season if they tough it out. Momoney is an incentive!
Remote mines often have camps where they work a week or more straight of 12 hour days then get a week or more off by using alternating crews. Some of these mines fly or bus the men in in several hour trips. They know, and I suspect that the gold rush guys do too, what is expected of them and they can either quit or be fired it they do not comply with the agreement. Offshore oil rigs work this way too.

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I worked on a rock crusher for a few years and in the summer when it was time to run full blast you got there before sun up, ran for 12 hours eating dust and never even turned off the machine for lunch unless you needed to do maintenance. You ran until almost dark, 10 to 12 hour days easy because you needed to have product coming off the belt to supply the rest of the operation and they could always use as much as you could give them. People are easy to replace so you did what you had to do to keep a job.

You worked your ass off for 3 or 4 months and then used the winter to recover. Those two guys whined and *****ed more than my sister and Tony should have fired them a long time ago. Bringing down the morale of the dredge. If they wanted to throw a big fit about work hours and pay, etc they should have done it when they were severely needed putting the dredge together, not when any two smucks can stand up there 12 hours and run it.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We all have our horror stories to tell. So how about Parker on treasure island! For a kid and a new crew he's making it work.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He's not afraid of hard work. As long as he keeps his head on straight and keeps his guys motivated I think he will do great!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
the Claim Jumper Dakota Fred Hurt & his son Justin ?

Greed got them.

Fred and Dustin wanted a raise but were unable to work out a deal with Discovery Channel. As a result, they were let go from the show.

That's how the fascist corporatocracy works; Bust your azz, and they fire you when you ask for a raise!

That's why I went into business for myself!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
I will not be watching the repeat shows tonight, just the new show. Todd looks like when he is walking around, that he has a load in his pants, and I do not mean a bag of gold, either.

Hahahaa! TOAD with a LOAD!:laughing7:

They need to take Toad's mug off the mag and put a hot babe in a bikini there!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Tony fires the two guys, and listening to how he did it, I have had a-hole bosses like that in the past. None of the people who worked for them cared about them and didn't give them their best efforts.
You reap what you sow and when you treat your people like crap that is what you get.

I hope Tony gets skunked unless he can change.

I would like to see Parker and Tony punch it out in the finale, and Parker whip the old Blowhard's butt!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with many members that Mr. Beets, ( I love that name) over spend for that that machine was not being used for 30 years, was not worth buying that thing, and that Mr. Beets pay too much money for that machine that nobody want to buy that worthless machine.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
geesh you kids!! beets has made millions more than all of the others combined.
I know he is hard to get along with, but he knows his stuff

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to have a steak and beers with Beets someday ( he buys of course)
I would only work for Beets is I was starving
I would never work for Turd even if i was starving

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watched the best Dirt ever just now IMHO. And for a change, I'm looking at the TV instead of the clock @ 10 minutes in. So good on them. :occasion14:

Edit: Parker special is a keeper too. 2 :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
geesh you kids!! beets has made millions more than all of the others combined.
I know he is hard to get along with, but he knows his stuff
You look like you could be one of Mr. Beets sons. He stated tonight that he still not had pay off that very old machine. We will find out at the end of the season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread